CA teacher employment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bigv, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bigv

bigv Rookie

Apr 1, 2019

Hello. In two years I will obtain a teaching credential having graduated. The teaching area has been very open for the last few years. How likely is it in another 2-3 years there will be ample jobs still? That’s the first question.
    2nd: for the jobs, will there be a lot of careers open for high school? If so where in northern CA and what subjects?
    3. Where will a lot of the employment chances be? How much of those are for 6th grade? 7-8? What about 5th? I cannot teach k-4 which is why I ask.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 1, 2019

If you can teach 5th in CA, then you can also teach K-4.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2019

Without being able to predict the future, I can say that in my district at least, a lot of the veteran teachers are reaching retirement age and so we predict having a few vacancies every year. The growing metro areas and their suburbs (Bay Area, Sac, etc) are probably your best bets in terms of having the most positions, but keep in mind the cost of living. You can help your chances of getting a job by being certified in an in-demand area (RSP, STEM), by having multiple endorsements, or by being bilingual (Spanish in particular would be a huge plus).

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 1, 2019

Possessing a multiple subject credential alone means that, while you may be hired initially into a grade 5 or 6 job, you can be placed in any grade from K to 6 inclusive whenever the district that hires you feels the need to do so. If you're absolutely, positively certain you just can't face the littles, you might be better off with a single subject credential: that would make you eligible for middle school positions.

futuremathsprof likes this.