Ca subs- Eligibility for CALSTRS?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TeachSoCal, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TeachSoCal

TeachSoCal Rookie

Feb 24, 2011

I just signed up for my 3rd district & they mentioned to me that I would automatically be eligible for CALSTRS retirement plan after 60 hours worked in one month or 100 days in one school year.

I am SO confused! Neither of my other districts mentioned this to me, they just had me sign a CALSTRS waiver. And the district I signed up with today was not much help with clarifying if the 60 hours/100 days was all my subbing districts added together or just on a per-district basis. Looked online, and could not find info for subs- only PT teachers.

Anyone have any insight? I would greatly appreciate it!:thanks:

3. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Feb 24, 2011

When I subbed, I was told that IF I was already a participant in CALSTRS, I would be eligible. Since I hadn't previously participated in CALSTRS, my retirement contribution was placed in another type of account (probably a 403(b) account, if I remember the jargon correctly).

4. Sub4life

Sub4life New Member

Jun 26, 2019

I’m looking for info on retirement options for substitute teachers. Should I join calstrs and start a pension if I make substitute teacher my permanent gig or even if I pursue a credential? Should I also get. 403b or 457b?
    Any subs who remain a sub as a career with advice?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 26, 2019

I think you should pursue a credential. You are really going to shoot yourself in the foot financially if you stay a sub and have a very small pension if you just substitute teach in the long-term. This means losing out on several hundreds of thousands and/or a couple million dollars that you otherwise would have made throughout your career.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2019

Sub4life, your teacher's union representative, or the local unit's website, can probably steer you to a financial counselor who can give you better and more specific advice than either futuremathsprof or I can. It's also possible that the local county office of education can help you find someone who can answer your questions.

7. HN3

HN3 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019

I could suggest that you also contact CalSTRS in Sacramento to get their advice. They may refer you to one of their offices in your county.