CA School Districs hiring non-fully credentialed Substitutes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jonsey7, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jonsey7

jonsey7 New Member

Jun 15, 2009

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know at the present time what school districs in CA are still hiring Substitutes that arent't fully credentialed? I'm working on my credential but so far only have my BA and CBEST under my belt.

Thank you~!

:love:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2009

I doubt anyone keeps a single list; you may have to visit some Web sites or even make some phone calls (though the chances are good that your county office of education knows).

In my corner of California, the districts that required full credentials as of a couple of years ago were the suburban districts in middle-to-upper-class areas; the big urban district was a little hungrier for subs. You should check locally, though.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

Hmmm, my husband doesn't have his credential, only a BS in computer programing and he took the CBEST. He applied for the emergency credential and has been subbing with it for like 4 years. He just has to reapply, I believe, every year. The only catch is that he can only do long term subbing assignments for up to 30 days, I believe. I would go to your local county office of education and ask them about this.

5. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 15, 2009

I thought it was perfectly fine to sub as long as you have a ba/bs and your cbest. I think you just can't sub for more than 30 days in a row in one class with that credential.

6. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

My district in Concord only requires a Bachelor's and the CBEST. With that you can get a sub credential.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

The minimum requirement for substitutes everywhere in California, by state law, is bachelor's degree plus CBEST. Individual districts, however, do have the right to require more than that.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

Obviously now, the economy sucks, so it makes sense, but during more flush times, how do the large districts maintain a large enough pool of subs with those requirements?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

Typically the LARGE districts don't - but the small, "desirable" suburban districts can.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

if you log on to EDJOIN, they have the districts with their requirements. JUSD does for sure.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

I suspect that most county offices of education also maintain a list of districts and substituting requirements.