CA Budget

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kellyrosebud, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I've been scouring the internet and news to find out more about California's so-called "compromise" on the budget. Most importantly, how exactly our schools are going to be hit. I'm seeing all kinds of numbers (anywhere from 6 to 9 Billion from schools depending on where you look).

What have you heard?
    What's happening to class size reduction?
    Heeeelp!
    :dizzy:

3. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I'm not in CA... there are layoffs here in NY... my thoughts are with all of you in CA. :hugs:

4. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I'm in CA but I don't think anyone knows anything for sure yet. It seems to change all the time. I am very anxious to see what happens. Hang in there.

5. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

I'm in California and I hear about it all the time from other teachers. Fortunately and by the grace of God, I am not affected by the budget (yet) because the school I work at has only 74 students and I am the only kindergarten teacher. However, the biggest city school district (which really isn't that big; only 6 schools in it )to me has layed off 12 of their teachers. Many of the newer teachers who didn't get layed off were assigned to different grades, especially the kindergarten teachers. I know of many K teachers who kept their jobs got moved to junior hight. Also, all K-3 classes will all now consist of about 30 students which used to be 20. So, you will have teachers with 30 4-5 year olds. It sucks! It sucks for pretty much anyone who gets their pay for the state. My husband works for the state prison and he is getting jipped as well. California is currently 48th place in education. I wouldn't be surprised if it went down to 50. :( Depressing.

6. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Minnie, I'm glad that you're not impacted. My job hangs in the balance. I was pink slipped in the spring, but I'm 95% sure I'll be back. My P wants me and needs me, unless the worst case scenario plays out. (Which would be the reduction or elimination of all class size reduction.)

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

Kelly, The paper said they are withholding details until they vote on in Thursday. So, by the time we can scream about it it will be a fait accompli. Things are bad all over California. Local elementary schools here are varied but looks like most are going to 24 from 20 and most high schools will be over 30. Many pink slipped teachers are still waiting because school districts will wait until the final analysis after the budget is cut. My principal says we will start at one point and will probably get worse in Jan. Merry Christmas to us!

8. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I really think that no matter what happens with the state budget it is going to be at the district level that you are going to get the specifics you are wondering about. My suggestion is contact your local union if you are a member, they will have info available typically. Ours is sending out emails as soon as info is to be had. Also, read the board minutes and attend the board meetings if possible. That is where the decisions will be made with what money is received. Hope this helps!

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

Here is what the press enterprise reported this morning in regards to education.

School deal

The package announced Monday reduces funding for schools and community colleges by $6 billion in the previous and current budget years. But the legislation would ensure that the state makes up about $11 billion in lost spending in the future, something the Legislature's majority Democrats insisted on.

Higher education would lose $1.4 billion through June 2010 and $1.4 billion in the year that begins July 1, 2010.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

My thoughts and prayers for all of you facing layoffs with this budget deal.

My concern with the budget is purely selfish since I am not going to be impacted by it at school as far as employement. I want to know what California is going to do with the parks. There was talk of closing them. Sutter's Fort and the Hyde Street Pier are two of my big fieldtrips during the year and it will be crummy if we can't go.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Last information was the are avoiding park closures but not sure how (probably cutting health care to children or something less important - lol!)

12. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

My district was already in a hard place due to mismanagement by the former superintendent. When the bottom fell out, we had to cut then because we didn't have a rainy day fund. With the proposed $6Billion cut from the state, that means $6Million from our district. The problem is that we have already cut everything that can be cut. No high school sports, no elementary school music, class size in elementary from 20 to 31. I'm not sure where these new cuts will come from.

13. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 22, 2009

At least you are still able to go on field trips...we have managed to go only to the local theater that offers free field trips and with that we are still trying to collect $6 per child and adult for the 15 min bus ride! I still had to write out a check for $70 to pay for those who couldn't afford it out of my own pocketbook. I don't have any field trips planned for next year until I know my families situations a bit better. It is a sad thing!

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

My BIL was laid off as a 30+ year Dept of Forestry battalion chief. My other BIL, parole officer, has been paid twice with IOU's after 25 plus years with the state. The entire budget crisis seems to be out of control without any real solution.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

JeninNCal -
    I know many teachers may not agree, but no high school sports is SHOCKING and WRONG for so many reasons. The only reason some kids stay in school is because of sports. It also seriously affects the scholarship possibilities for your seniors because so many colleges and academies want well-rounded leaders with varsity sports experience. I bet the parents will step up but in the opinion of our principal and athletic director that will never happen in S. Cal - we are way too athletically oriented. Time will tell....

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

I know how lucky I am. Being at a private school with a stable enrollment is a good thing right now.

17. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 22, 2009

You are lucky and chances are will continue to be safe. I believe that as the public school crisis worsens we are going to see a lot more initiatives for private schools.

18. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

scmom - I completely agree!

Thanks for the input all. Keep your chins up!