C25K

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

I'm not a runner, but I think I want to start the Couch to 5K program and complete a 5K for breast cancer in honor of my sister who was diagnosed this week. Anyone do this program before? Any tips or advice? :) Of course I would pick to do it now that we're in the middle of another heat wave :rofl:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I know several people who have done this program. They have raved about it and said that it really worked for them. I'm more of the kind that just hits the ground running (literally :)). Good luck!

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 17, 2012

I've done it. It's a good program.

I'm really bad at running in the wintertime. I'm busy with school and it gets dark early (blah, blah, excuses, I know :p). Anyway, I always start C25K again every May and run through about October. It really does work.

My advice? Follow the program. Don't push yourself too hard. Don't feel bad about having to repeat weeks. My first time doing it, I think I stayed on Week 3 for nearly a month before I felt ready to move on. Listen to your body. If you feel pain, stop. My big mistake was thinking that I needed to run fast at first. Nope. My mother walks to keep in shape, and she walks fast. I figured out that in order for me to be able to finish, my mom should be able to keep up with me. I built speed in later.

I like to run early, early in the morning before the sun gets too hot.

Good luck!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Thanks Shanoo and stg!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Look for music downloads. There are lots of downloads available that play music and then tell you when to switch to the next thing. Makes it easy. I even saw a program somewhere where you could pick your own music and it would overlay it with a bell or something so you knew when to switch.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I finished the first week...first three runs are DONE! Woohoo! It's a great feeling...now 8 weeks and 24 runs to go ;)

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 23, 2012

I LOVED IT!!!! I'm actually thinking I'm going to start it up again and combine it with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 23, 2012

I started it, but I had to stop when the heat wave hit. I had to do each day more than once, though. I was too out of shape to just jump right in on that pace. I downloaded a program to m iPod, and I could play my own music. It turned down my music and gave the commands.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2012

Thanks for the support everyone! I want to run a 5K in the fall in honor of my sister who is battling breast cancer.

Ima- my program on my blackberry does the same thing...I tried to download one to my ipod but it didn't work...so I use my phone instead. :)

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2012

Same here! It took me a little longer but I was able to do it mostly. :) Don't be afraid to repeat a week (or two) if you need to. What's important is that you move.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2012

Thankfully our complex has a gym with treadmills for the hot days :)