Bye Bye Lunch

Discussion in 'General Education' started by deserttrumpet, Aug 28, 2007.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

As with many other schools my school will ask you to cover another class during your prep period if there isn’t a real sub available. Today I received notice that we will also be asked to cover a class during our lunch if a sub is not available. Can they legally ask us to do this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2007

It depends on how your contract is written. Do you have a copy you can check?

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

"And other duties" is tacked onto our contract.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2007

So there you go...it's legal.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2007

I wouldn't think they could but then again, we are technically "paid" for our lunch hour. They want everyone in the building. As a result we are dismissed an hour earlier. Which really doesn't mean much since we stay late.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

You need to push your teacher's union reps to make "duty free lunches" a big part of the next contract!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2007

What's up with the sub problems?

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

They only have a small handful of subs for the district (small). Our union is just about nonexistent. I think there are two or four members?? The only reason I even know we have one is my advisor is the union rep (who happens to be out for a few days).

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2007

We can get pulled from our preps as long as they pay us extra. And, per our contracts, we cannot get pulled from lunch--our contract stipulates a "duty-free lunch"... I'm sorry you may have to give yours up. That stinks!

11. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

We are entitled to a duty free lunch and 45 minutes of prep time each day (which can not be used for meetings, subbing or any "other duties.")

I agree you should check your contract, talk with your union rep and if you're not coverd then make sure it gets mentioned at contract negotiation time!

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

We don't exactly get paid. For every 6 coverages we do we get a personal day (though we are discouraged from using them too freely).

13. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 28, 2007

Our subs now have to go through background checks... that sadly took out several subs between the people who felt violated and those who really did have a record.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

i would also check labor laws in your state. Regardless of your contract, I can't imagine they can legally deny you a lunch.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 28, 2007

Check your contract. My former school took gross advantage of us until we started filling out time sheets for our missed preps and lunches. Miraculously, the subs were found.

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 28, 2007

I teach in a parochial school without any sort of cafeteria. The students eat lunch in the classrooms, and we have to stay with them. I would give anything for a duty-free lunch. When I first came to this school, it was really hard to get used to, and I still don't like it, but I've gotten used to it. All the other good things about my school make up for having to eat lunch in the classroom with the students.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2007

This is ridiculous. When I worked at a grocery store as a teenager it would have been absolutely, positively, one-hundred percent unacceptable to work a moment into your 20-30 minute lunch break. The alarm on the computer sounded if you didn't clock-out for lunch, even though it was paid. People deserve a few minutes of each workday to simply be.

18. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

We found out yesterday that our "duty free" lunch must now be supervised by teachers. Our jh group has to supply two per day, our choice. There are only five of us, oh well. Seems it's just too much for the poor AP to handle in this very small school.

19. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I remember the same sort of drill from when I worked at Wal-Mart during college. they were paranoid about you not getting your break or lunch. They wouldn't even talk anything buisness to you during that time. I would think that whatever law they were trying to abide by would affect the schools as well.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2007

TIME for Chalkboard Flu!
    Just have a job action if half of the teachers would get Chalkboard Flu one day and the other half get it the next day
    What Part of AZ are you in?

21. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 29, 2007

In TN the state gives us duty free lunch. If we had to fill in for the lunch monitor, then we were expected to get the time back later.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2007

In our contract, we get a 40-minute, duty-free lunch. We can get pulled off of prep time to cover a class if there isn't a supply teacher, but they do get paid back in time.

23. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Wow, I had no idea so many schools had duty-free lunch! Every teacher at our school has to stay with her own class and eat with them during lunch. I've honestly never expected "not to have to" eat with them until now! I really didn't realize how many teachers have duty-free lunch!!!!

24. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

Same here although the kids do eat in a cafeteria. The teachers are the ones on duty during lunch and recess. I have been pulled once during a prep to cover a class but it doesn't happen often. They pull the specials teachers first.