Buzz words for preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mom2sands, May 20, 2008.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

May 20, 2008

If I were to have a pre-K interview, what would be the buzz words for teaching styles, classroom management, curriculum, etc.? I'm more accustomed to elementary rather than preschool. My degree is
    pre-K - 6, but the instructional emphasis was placed on grades 1-5 moreso than anything else. I have viewed the Pre-K site that was posted and found it very helpful. Thanks. Any pointers that you might give will be appreciated! :)

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

May 20, 2008

off the top of my head- whole child, developmentally appropriate practice, anti-bias curriculum

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

Definitely developmentally appropriate practice (DAP)!

Routines & transitions, whole child (all domains - social, emotional, mental, physical), Piaget & Erikson's stages during pre-k, know about what you can do for the pre-k student as far as reading and writing...

...if you really want to know more about pre-k and early childhood edu in general, you can study some models such as the montesorri approach, the high/scope approach, the project approach (neat one!)...and then you will be able to get an idea of how you would structure your pre-k class if you ever did teach that grade level.

5. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

May 21, 2008

NAEYC if they are a nationally accredited preschool

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

May 21, 2008

I talk about focussing on what the child CAN do rather than what they can't yet do. It is from what they CAN do that planning can start. This means teaching a differentiated curriculum whereby children are taught using different work to reach the same goal. I guess planning for the individual.

The importance not only of DAP but a positive supportive learning environment.

When it comes to behaviour management, it is the behaviour that is undesireable, not the child and therefore children need to be taught the correct behaviour through focussed teaching, modelling and practice.

Here in Australia they are really going for a child centred negotiated curriculum. This means you find out the interests of the child and develop the curriculum around these interests. The philosophy is that when a child is interested in the subject matter they are morel likely to be engaged, focussed and have a greater and longer concentration span.

Vygotsky is an old favourite - scaffolding and guiding.

Giving children plenty of time to practise and master a skill - not making lessons a one off wonder but allowing opportunities to repeat learning episodes.

That's just off the top of my head but this is getting rather long so I'll cut it here. Hope it helps.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2008

Letsteach--a wonderful summary. Would you come work for me?

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 21, 2008

Some that others have mentioned (DAP, NAEYC, whole child). I'll add "constructivist," and "positive guidance."

9. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

DAP, hands-on learning, making choices, good/bad & consequences of choices, problem solving