Buzz Words for 2011

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by love2teach_art, May 11, 2011.

1. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

May 11, 2011

Hello everyone!

I have 2 interviews coming up on Thursday and Friday.

My grad school classmates were suggesting I should use as many buzz words in the interview as I will be graded on a point system?!

So please throw out some buzz words that I can use!
    Thank you!

By the way, I will be interviewing for Elementary Art positions! :D

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

A word of caution about the advice you were given--don't use buzzwords if you don't have a full and complete understanding of what they mean, and can speak to how the ideas inform your planning, teaching and assessment.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 11, 2011

I agree with MrsC. Buzzwords are only good if you actually know what they mean and how you can use them. Also, if they use a buzzword in your interview and you don't know what it means, be honest and ask them.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

I would suggest the exact opposite-- keep it real.

They aren't looking for the "best answers" -- they're looking for the "best teacher." They want a flesh and blood person, not a grad school lexicon of buzzwords.

7. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

May 11, 2011

Thank you Alice for your insight and advice! I can always count on you for that!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Seriously... I'm giving you an interview right now. (Everyone else, feel free to join in.) I want your initial reacion-- no thought, pure reaction, OK?? (NO BUZZWORDS required or requested!! But let me see your sense of humor-- answer as though your husband or mom asked something similar and you were in a funny mood.)

1. Our position is a split-- half elementary and half high school art positions. What about the two programs should remain constant, and what should be different?

9. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

May 11, 2011

Wow,this is awesome Alice!
    Ah! this is making nervous as I feel like I don't have much sense of humor.. but here I go!

1. This would be a dream job to teach both elementary and high school students because I have taught at the elementary school level for 5 years and taught h.s. this year and I would be torn when asked to choose one over the other.

I have learned so much about high school students this one year, and I have to be honest I had a culture shock at the beginning of this school year. But as I spent many hours with these teenagers I learned that they are just like my elementary students. They want to learn and are interested in what I have to teach them about art.

The major difference between hs and elementary would be the level of skills needed for hs art. For example I would have to break down the same lesson on one point perspective into simpler steps for my elementary students.

The one thing that will remain constant will be the principles of design and elements of art. Elementary students will learn about colors and lines as h.s students, yet the projects will be different as hs students are now capable of exploring further their skills and their understanding of the arts.

(Oops, I think my answer is a bit too long!)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Here's my inital response:

"Well, for starters, the elementary kids WILL be wearing those smocks, and I'll make sure everyone who needs one has a scrungie before they TOUCH paint!!!!!"

Question 2: What's your favorite topic or unit to teach?

11. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

May 11, 2011

I love your answer, Alice!
    What a difference it makes just to add humor!
    And with that kind of answer, who wouldn't want to hire someone like that.

2. My favorite unit is 2nd grade snake project. Students already comes in with a full knowledge of different snakes they learned in Science and they come into my class, eager to talk about cobras, rattlesnakes, and boa constructors. Students are divided into groups, and each group make their own papier-mache snake! This is so much for students as they get down and dirty.
    At the end of the projects, students get a chance to pridely hang their snakes in the hallway of their school and it's rewarding for the students and myself.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Now find a way to put some humor-- anywhere --into that answer. It sounds as though you feel this is a weakness, so we'll try to find a spot in every answer for a bit of humor, OK? (Not that an actual interview would be like that, just exercising your interview muscles.)

13. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

May 11, 2011

There are a few words our admin is looking at: RTI (Response to intervention), PLC (Professional Learning Community), and 21st century teaching skills (use of/knowledge of Smartboard, doc cameras, iPod touches, etc.).

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 12, 2011

I wouldn't use buzzwords. If you speak from the heart, chances are you'll give good descriptions of some of those buzzwords w/o using the "terminology." For most people, that speaks volumes because it shows that you know how to implement it rather than how to regurgitate vocabulary.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 12, 2011

I know what everyone is saying about not using buzzwords, but I think it is a good idea to know and recognize current terminology when you hear it.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2011

The goal is to know the lingo well enough to be able to use it appropriately - and to know the concepts behind the terms even better.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Absolutely.

I have no issues with candidates who are well versed in what's new in Education.

My issue is with candidates who parrot what they've read online, with no understanding of the term. Or those who sound like an education textbook, to the point where there's no "THEM" left in the answer.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Absolutely! However, there's no sense saying that you use balanced literacy and assessment for learning in your classroom, if you aren't able to explain what it "looks like".

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Please use the word 'proudly' on a real interview.

20. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 13, 2011

I think you do need some terms.... but a lot of an interview is personality. They can teach you some things, but it's hard to teach personality and work ethic.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2011

My hiring committee does not maintain a checklist for buzzwords. We are looking for intelligent, passionate teachers who are a fit for our philosophy.

22. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

May 16, 2011

I agree you should not use buzz words unless you totally fully understand them! I have been on five interviews in the last 2 weeks, and they all ask me about "differentiating instruction".