Buying your own class furniture?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs. Q, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

The teacher I replaced stayed in the district, she moved to an Admin position. And I think surely she took her office chair with her bc I can't imagine that she used the one she left me. It is a small, cheap fake leather rolling chair with no armrests that won't stay at the height you put it at. It is actually a student lab chair -- my kids all have the same ones at their computers. Because I advise publications, I am at my computer a lot and my back has started killing me. I don't want to use supply budget money so I guess I will have to buy my own chair. Has anyone else done that? If I should leave next year will anyone wonder when I take it with me?

And does anyone have suggestions for a good chair?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 28, 2010

I have always owned my own chair. We are given chairs, but they are pretty crappy like the one you were given. My current chair (and breifcase for that matter) were gifts from me to me LOL when I became the Assistant Principal of Academics. How much do you want to spend on your chair?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

You can pull the "this chair is not ergonomically correct." It should give the health and safety department a project to work on. Where I worked, each teacher got to select their own chair, from about 20.

5. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

Wow, I wish I even had a "teacher" chair, let alone a choice! That's awesome :) I have the same hard blue chair as the kids at my desk. We can't bring outside furniture in b/c it's not fire safe

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 30, 2010

We are given the same plastic chairs that the kids get! If I were you, I would request a new chair. If they don't provide one, just buy the one you want and keep the receipt so you can take it with you if you leave. I am thinking about buying my own chair also. This is ridiculous.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 30, 2010

Haha Jen I bet I have the same hard blue chair as you do. Ours also break easily.

8. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I bought my own chair years ago from WalMart. To begin with all I had was a wooden chair, and that just wasn't cutting it!

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

If you buy your own chair, get write or make a label that says "Personal Property Ms. ___" and keep the recipt. Did you try telling your school it is broken and you need a new one? IT seems like if it won't stay at one place, it's broken.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

I have kind of a crappy rolling desk chair - I threw a blanket over it and brought in a small pillow for my lower back.

Quite a few teachers at my school have purchased their own chairs. The only furniture I've purchased were additional bookcases.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2010

If I taught on a regular basis I would definitely have a first class chair no matter who paid for it. I don't know how some of you survive with the furniture I've seen in the classroom......:confused:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Several teachers at my school bought their own chairs in. The chairs they give us are just not comfortable. I plan on purchasing my own once I'm settled at the high school.

13. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I actually don't use my chair very much. I'm usually up walking/talking or pulling a desk up right in amongst the kids. :D The only other "furniture" I have (in addition to tables and chairs) is a loooooooooong wooden book shelf that was given to me by a retiring teacher years ago. :p

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010

I have my own desk chair, though I don't sit at my desk much until the afternoon when I'm working on the computer. If we're doing in-class reading, I set up my tall director's chair and perch up in that.

15. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 31, 2010

We have pretty decent chairs provided by the school. They are the tall back, executive type. I have provided my own rocking chair which I use for morning group and story time. I also bought an easel for my Big Books.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010

I bought a lovely rolling chair that I use to roll all over the classroom. One time, after school, we took it out in the hall and I had some teacher kids roll me down the hall really fast. It was a lot of fun...kind of like a roller coaster ride.

17. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 31, 2010

I bought my own chair. The $20 chair from Office Max was better than the one we were given. For that matter, mine was older than me...I saw the date on it!! I fell off of it when two bolts fell out, I told my principal and he gave me a "new" one from the conference room. That one is broken now too. I figured I better just buy my own and not complain.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 31, 2010

I just purchased my 2nd personal chair after the older one was mysteriously broken (by the sweepers, I think). I have also purchased all the bookshelves, several rolling carts, and the stools in my room.

19. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Oct 31, 2010

Chair? I've got a great one but I'm never in it. Seriously maybe a half hour a week. I sit with the kids or on top of a table.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

If your chair is bad you need to at least make a request for a better chair. I am planning to get one of those ball chairs with a sturdy back support. The chiropractor recommends it! I have lots of back and hip problems and I think this chair will help. I will have to drag it all around the classroom to the different areas I use!

Teaching takes a toll on the old body after a time. Standing causes some problems, sitting causes others! Get yourself a good chair if the school won't.

21. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

I actually bought my own chair from home. It's fake leather, but has nice arm rests and great lumbar support and it's very comfortable.

In my experience, the teacher chairs they provide you with always stink! The one in my room for instance the cushion is completely flat from being sat on so long I guess, the wheels barely roll and it has no arm rests. I use it for my guided reading group table

Aside from that, I do not purchase large furniture for my room. Just small stuff like bins for books or to hold supplies in.