Buying Transparencies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2009

I ran out of $$ for my purchase orders for next year, so I took out my order of overheads in the hopes I can find my own, cheap, online.

Wow it's confusing!!

I was hoping to find some that will let me print at school with the normal copier but also from home with an INKJET copier. Do they exist? Does anyone know a good brand of inkjet overheads that are pretty cheap?

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

I got a document camera this year and I haven't used my overhead even once since! And that's saying a lot because I used my overhead projector every day for 25 years of teaching. You might want to look into one for yourself. No more transparencies! Good luck!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2009

Agreed - I don't even have an overhead anymore. Between the LCD projector, the computer, and the document camera (which belongs to the department but "lives" in my room), I haven't needed it at all.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 13, 2009

Pisces, I'm with you. I'm looking for a good source for transparencies. A document camera is not really an option for me at this point. My classroom doesn't have the equipment and my system doesn't have the funds (neither do I!), so we're using overheads.
    I'll let you know if I come across something. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for at a price I like just yet.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

There ARE multi-purpose overhead transparencies that you can buy that work in an inkjet printer as well as in a copier. They are far more expensive than kinds you can use in the copier, since they have a different coating (they're a little rough on one side to accept the inkjet ink) AND have to withstand the heat of a copier.

http://officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS20219&history=prwsjvtz|prodPage~15^freeText~transparencies^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 13, 2009

I buy them at staples or office depot.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2009

We got one with Title 1 funds this year about April. I haven't used my overhead once since then either, but I want some just in case. I looooooooooooooove my Elmo! :thumb:

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2009

If you buy the inkjet transparencies, which I recall are really expensive, don't write on them! Put a regular one over it and write on that.

10. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

Yes! The inkjet kind absorbs the Vis-A-Vis pens.

I would :wub: a doc camera!

11. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

O K, I'm ignorant - what is a document camera and how does it work? Is it something like a smart board or more like an overhead projector?

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 14, 2009

I doc cam is teacher heaven :) (well, a smart board is better, but I'm happy!)

It's a camera (sorta like a webcam) mounted to a flexible arm. Whatever is under the camera gets projected on the wall/screen via an LCD projector in full color!! It's fantastic! I haven't made one transparency since April, and it's great for showing the kids how to do stuff close-up. I taught them origami fish the last day of school. I also use it to read picture books, show samples of student writing while the class helps me to edit (with the student's permission, of course). I t's kinda like the internet and cell phones...now that I have a doc cam, I can't imagine how I got by without one before!

13. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 14, 2009

We have several "Elmos" in our school. I think when school starts, I'm off to the Title I office to claim one!!