Buying Supplies

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Dalrose, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Just got hired for a first grade class so I have the Summer to prepare. I've been buying some reading books, some fun workbooks etc. One question- if I move to another school or another grade, can I take the stuff with me? It's stuff bought with my own money. If yes, do I put my name on it? Thanks!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2005

If you buy it with YOUR money it is YOURS! Therefore, think about what YOU want to keep. I buy my own resource books, but use school money for consumable materials i.e. craft supplies. I shop garage sales for things such as indoor recess games, puzzles, books for the children etc. Yes, this stuff I take with me, but some of it ends up destroyed (in part due to age), but since I didn't spend much on it on don't care.

4. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

I just bought me new books as well. A lot of them as a matter of fact! Do you recommend putting a label inside the books and putting my name on them? Also, a friend of mine who is a teacher also says she puts little cards in the books (so they can "check" the books out like a library." But, she teaches 4th grade, so I wasn't sure how well that would work with younger grades. I do not have a job yet, so I have no clue what grade level I will have. I got a variety of books, but mostly books for lower grades. What system so most of you use for books? AR is used where I live, and I figure if I get a job, I would label the books according to level. But I will deal with that if I get a job.

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 25, 2005

Yes, by all means label everything that you buy! It also comes in handy when a teacher wants to borrow something of yours!
    I personally don't put the cards in the books for the kids to check out-that is why we have a library. My personal books are "off limits" to them, unless they ask, etc. because most of mine go with a particular theme or unit and I also use most for the kids to "predict" what is going to happen, etc. I don't want one of them to "spill the beans" about the story before we even get to that part!
    Good Luck with your "shopping" and with your new First grade class! :)

6. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for the advice Alilisa! What do you suggest as far as labeling? I didn't want to write my name in it with a pen..and wasn't sure if I should print off labels with my name on them and put them inside the books. Do you suggest first and last name, last name, or just Mrs. _____? Just curious! Thank you bunches!

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 25, 2005

Petunia

I bought a stamp pad and ink stamp.... Property of
    Mrs. Your Name. That means I paid for it. If you change grades or schools you know what belongs to you. It also helps others know where to return books and items that they borrow.

8. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Hey Petunia! How are you? Do I get those stamps at teacher supply stores? Also, aren't you proud..I followed your advice and went and got some books! Although, I spent more money than anticipated!

9. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for the Advice

I'm nervous as it is and this forum is great to learn!!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2005

I just write my last name in pen on the inside cover of the books. Any books that belong to the school I identify, also. True, if I change schools it will be easy to know what to take and what to leave. I have 5th grade and have been collecting tons of books for many years. The fiction is organized alphabetically by author, fantasy and historical fiction are separate, by author. Biographies are alphabetized by subject. Non-fiction are organized by subject. I just keep a folder with a sign out sheet for when kids borrow books. They must turn in a book before borrowing another book. They don't get their book report grade until they have returned the book, either. I do sometimes lose a few this way, but since I buy most of them used I can handle it.

11. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

Thank you for the help! :D

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 2, 2005

As a new teacher I would not buy that much. Although I know it's hard to curb your enthusiam try to save your money until you really know exactly what you will use and need. Other teachers are always willing to share and let you copy. Don't feel like your taking on the whole curriculum yourself. During my student teaching a verteran gave me some great advice- Keep it simple and basic but do it well. This took off alot off stress during the summer when I felt like I would never be prepared. Good luck !!!!! Yes---write your name on everything because teachers love to share.

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 3, 2005

stamp pads come from office supply stores.....

14. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2005

I will usually buy a roll of colored duct tape, write my name on a piece of it in permanent marker and then put it either on the front cover or back cover. This way as you go further along in your teaching and you want to get rid of the books or switch with another teacher, it is easy to just get your name off of it. Also, a label maker works well, but sometimes the labels tend to dry out.

I have worked in 2nd grade where we loaned out our classroom books in our Reading BackPack program and we had cards in the books just like in our Media Center. Ask your school librarian, I bet she/he has extra book pockets they can give you for this.

Have fun!

15. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 15, 2005

I am an teacher as well and I have made labels on the computer that say:
    This book belongs to the library of Mrs. _________ (please return to it to where it belongs) thank You Mrs. Jennings

I found that if i made several label pages on the computer it was easier to stick the label on the book than write you name each time

Good luck

16. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

Hey! That is what I plan on doing as well....making labels to put inside my book. I can always pull them off if needed (hopefully it would come off .lol). Thank you for the input and have as great year!! :)

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

I put my name on everything that I purchase with my own money. These resources cost a lot of money and it is only fair that you spent the time and money on them that you would be able to keep them when you move... When you have people borrowing books, you may want to make a list the books, the person who borrowed them and the date. This will help you keep track of who has what...

If fact I have taught grades 1-6 in 7 years. I am a special education teacher. So I do have a lot of materials for each grade that I hold onto. I do eventually give some resource books away when I know that I will not be using them for myself anymore.

In fact, at the end of the year, I copied a whole bunch of topics for The Mailbox Magazines that I have had for a few years sitting on my bookcases. I broughtthem to the teacher's room to give away. Some teachers were very happy about that. ;)

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 18, 2005

I'm also trying to figure out how I want to label my books. I can make labels on the computer or buy a stamp. I can't decide. I have so many books already and I haven't even started student teaching yet.

If you need books, I would reccommend hitting up Savers! At library booksales, librarians know what is a good book and what is not. At Savers, many people don't know the treasures they are giving away!! I find tons of used but great quality books. A lot of them newer, popular books (many from Scholastic), for very cheap!

19. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 19, 2005

what is Savers?

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 19, 2005

Savers is a second hand store where people donate things to be sold. Kind of like Goodwill. I thought they were everywhere but I guess I was wrong!

21. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

lol. I was wondering that exact same question!

22. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

To to this a step further, I also bind the books with tape. This really makes a difference in the durability!!

23. new teach

new teach New Member

Jul 26, 2005

i had a professor in college who had an embosser-the non ink raised letters said "from the library of ms............" i don't know how expensive they are but there was no ink or tape to damage the book.