Buying stuff!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by terptoteacher, Jul 18, 2006.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2006

Well, I just spent over 100 dollars on stuff for the classroom!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!

I found this cute kid puzzle. The kids decorate a puzzle piece that looks like a child and I'll put them all together to show that we are ONE classroom!!!!

I bought ceiling hangers, tubs for their tables, friendship posters, welcome postcards....

Little things are getting me so excited!!!!

What are some other things y'all have bought????

3. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I went shopping today as well!! I was sooooo excited to buy stuff!! My husband says I am such a dork. LOL!
    I bought:
    a wall calendar shaped like the sun (SOOOOO Cute)
    Colored Sentence Strips
    Desk Name Plates
    Bulletin Board Border
    Stickers
    Star Student Poster
    Lesson Plan Book
    Grade Book
    Stamps and Ink
    Numbers for the Wall
    Lots of other ocean themed stuff (My theme this year is Under the Sea)

I had so much fun. I cant wait to do it again!

4. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I was really excited a few weeks ago when I FINALLY went to Lowes and bought marker board for my class set of white boards and the PVC to make my whisper phones. I've been wanting to have these for so long, and I can't wait to use them! I was also excited by how cheap everything was.

I've also been getting some great finds from Dollar Tree. I found these super cute frog shaped magnifying glasses that work VERY well! I also bought some cute fly swatters (we do a ton of swat the word/answer activities in my class) and some of those twistable flowers to use as pointers for read the room.

5. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I went to Dollar Tree today. I am disappointed that I did not notice the frog shaped magnifying glasses. I want a class set of magnifying glasses. I guess I will have to make a stop tomorrow!!

6. mot

mot Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Just got back from Target! They have tons of school supplies on sale. I bought 2 reward stamp sets (six stamps each) for $1.00 a set!!! They also have ink pads for $1.00 (assorted colors) I love the stamps: Great Work, Nice Progress, Big Improvement, Way 2 Go, Nice Work, Tremendous Work.
    I am as excited as you all!

7. terptoteacher

Jul 18, 2006

The fly swatter is cute!! Swat the word--how neat. Are they small enough?

8. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

They had a couple of different shaped magnifying glasses frogs, turtles, and sea shells.

9. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Oh wow!!! I cant believe I missed those!!! My theme this year is Under the Sea so those would fit in soooooo well. I am tempted to go back now! But I am resisting. I will go first thing in the morning though!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

10. terptoteacher

Jul 18, 2006

With your whisper phones, are you going to leave them pvc white?
    I just made those last week. I painted a scrap piece with the purple primer then I used a spray can of left over red that I had. It felt to sticky at first, but now that it's completely dry, it feels nice and smooth. I think I may paint the rest of them today.

11. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I'll probably keep mine white for this year as I have tons of other stuff to do (I start inservices next week). But thanks for the tip, I may paint them next summer when I have more time!

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2006

I've purchased
    banner
    globe
    borders
    material
    bulletin board set for "On the Right Track" theme for this year
    people shaped popsicle sticks
    library cards for students to decorate for behavior management
    tagboard to make word wall
    Lakeshore teacher calendar for year
    items for my treasure chest
    colored popsicle sticks
    puzzle people
    mini-fridge
    mini-microwave
    mini-popcorn bags
    I am about at $120. Thinking I have what I need to begin the year. But still have to buy new school clothes. Everything is worn out with holes.

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Oooh frogs! Did they have any other frog stuff you noticed?

14. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

The fly swatters are regular size, they came in a set of 3. The swatters are used for large print words, like word wall words, or words written on the board or chart paper. These can also be used for math facts, "swat the answer/number."

15. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

scrapnmom24,
    My theme is also going to be "Under the Sea". I am curious about what things you found to go along with it. I have a set of fish cut outs, some sea animal cut outs, a large fish bowl that we can count to 100 day with and a "Dive into Learning" bulletin board set.

16. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

I have got lots of new stuff.....I actually ran out of things to buy. I know thats pretty sad...At my school we had extra special education money, and I had to purchase $3200 worth of stuff before July 1st. I'm so excited to use all of it when school starts.

Other than that I went to Target today and got a lesson planner and a divider for my behavior management plan.

I also got some name tags from Dollar Tree too.

I got some crayons, markers and glue from Wal-mart.

I'm really waiting for Wal-Mart to go on clearance. Then I will be buying more. It's best to wait till school starts. I got lots of great stuff once school started for cheap prices.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2006

I bought a bunch of plastic bins yesterday, some books, and a magazine rack from Salvation Army for....... $2.00!!!!!

18. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I understand!!!

Mrs. Patten,

I am in the same boat...there are lots of things I want, but my husband is in school and we just got married in June. I left my previous job after two years right before the wedding and have been temping on and off ever since! It will be nice to get a REAL pay check in a few weeks!

19. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Wow Mrs. Barrett - $3,200?!?

That would be awesome. What type of things did you buy with the money?

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

Was that a typo?

21. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 19, 2006

All this money went towards my preschool special education class. I wish I could have spent some of the money towards my Title 1. :(

But here is what I bought:

Trike
    Table
    Reading Center (wooden bins to hold books)
    Big Carpet
    Bulletin board stuff
    Autism classes for myself
    Pet for the classroom
    Workbooks for the classroom
    New toys
    DVD/VCR
    DVDs
    New CDs
    Bean bags
    Big Pillows
    Boardmaker computer software

and lots of small stuff

We had a huge excess of our special education. Each teacher got so much money. I have only been teaching for less than a year, so I really didn't know everything that I would need. Next year when we get our money to purchase new things. I hope that I can have a better knowledge of what I want to get.

Do any of your schools give the teachers a certain amount of money to purchase new things for your classroom?

22. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 20, 2006

$3200!! OMG!! We are allowed $100.00. I used mine to purchase Time for Kids and will have to 'negotiate' for the extra money it costs to pay for TFK. School supplies are all out of pocket after this purchase.
    32 kids x $3.95 = Over Budget:confused:

23. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

That would have been fun. Sounds like you got a lot of good stuff!!!

My school gives teachers $100 if they are new or if they switch grade levels. Otherwise each grade level gets so much money. For example we each got $75 to buy stuff with - but that mostly goes to general office supplies. The school supplies unlimited copy paper, construction paper, paint, etc. so that is really nice. Also last year we received some extra money so we bought a grade level set of versatiles for language arts. Each of us got about 15 sets of versatiles and the books to go along with them. So that was nice.

Sometimes we'll get some money from PTO....but it's not much. Usually about $50 (but hey I'll take it). I'm hoping to get that this year so I can go buy some games for the class. We'll see.

But man the stuff I would buy with $3,200......lol. :p

24. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

I have bought two things for this upcoming school year... 2 boxes of Crayola markers. We get $100 for requisitions per year and usually PTA provides us with another $100 for additional purchases. I don't really need a whole lot this year so I shouldn't need to get out shopping any time soon.

25. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Can you tell me what whisper phones are? I might try and make some.

26. sarahjayn1980

sarahjayn1980 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Whisper phones are "telephones" made with a PVC pipe bend (a u-shaped joint). The kids use them during reading by whispering the story into them. They can hear themselves read, but it's quiter for the other kids.

27. sarahjayn1980

sarahjayn1980 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

I can't wait until I can STOP buying things for my class. I am trying to stock up while all the school supplies are on sale. It's hard to be stingy with your personal funds, though, when you know how it will work out in your classroom. Kids have SO MANY needs!

28. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

Hello Everyone!

Those of you that get $100 to spend on your classroom each year does that mean for anything and EVERYTHING you need like bulletin board borders, resource books, weekly readers, paper, staples, paint, glitter, games, ...everything?? What happens when you need to order new books?? How does your district expect to offer a quality education without some needed supplies? Is it EXPECTED that the teachers will pay for their own supplies?? Do you get reimbursed for credits you take? What happens if you need new desks or file cabinets?

I work in rural WI and my district is very near the bottom for lowest teacher pay, but I now feel very good about our classroom budgets! We don't get a set dollar amount to spend, but it goes by a need basis as it is understood that lower grades often need more supply type items etc while upper grades have needs unique to them too. The principal takes the elementary budget and makes it work. I've had to have some stuff cut in the past (but it's rare) we're always given the choice of what goes.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2006

At my school, each homeroom teacher gets $10/student to spend on consumable supplies (notebooks, pencils, glue, rulers, tape, paper, file folders, etc.). In addition, the Parent Council gives us $50 to spend on our classrooms as we see fit. We usually do one or two large orders of construction paper and chart paper for the whole school. Our textbook money comes from a separate budget and we are told each year how much we have to spend as a division (grades K-3, 4-6, and 7-8). All rooms are equipped with a teacher desk, a 4-drawer file cabinet and student desks. Most have a round table, an area rug, a fan, a CD player and a chart stand. Anything else is pretty much out-of-pocket. All decorative items are our responsibility. By the way, here in Canada, we can't claim any of our school purchases on our income tax.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

I'm in a small private school. That means no money, basically. Kids provide their own notebooks, paper, pencils. We get $100 to spend on paper and supplies. The school buys textbooks, workbooks, some supplemental curriculum needs. Last year they got a lot of math resources but this year they said no. I bought my own desk chair, CD player, rug, some cupboards and file cabinets. I got one small white bookshelf out of the garbage on the street and bought another small white cupboard thing for $4 at a garage sale. I just bought a wood-look lateral file for $50 at Salvation Army and brought in my own oak filing cabinet from home. It's ridiculous.

31. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Hi there,

Can you describe to me how you use the swatters? I am intrigued with this idea. Do the kids use them when working in table groups or is this a whole group activity? Can you suggest some activities I could do with them?

Thanks! :)

32. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Our school buys almost everything for us. BUt I still go above and beyond that. I mean they give us border for our boards but it's the plain kind, so I get the cutesy ones. We get paper and glue but we have to ask and WAIT. I have no patience. So if there is a good deal I buy it myself. I also spend money on idea books and things like that. Since I'm a bilingual teacher we do get a little bit of extra money. Last year it was 37.50 for each of us. JOY! I shouldn't complain it was more than some other teachers.

33. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

Usually our school only gives us $200.00. I have no clue why this year we all got $500.00 to purhcase items. All the vetern teachers were completely surprised by this.

34. terptoteacher

Jul 21, 2006

I didn't post the idea, but it intrigued me too, so I asked.
    You can use them to "swat" the correct answer or correct word etc.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

I just picked my son up from work and he asked, "Why do you have a hammer in the car?" I said, "Why do I have all the stuff piled up in the back seat? For school, of course." Then I explained how I usually ended up using the bottom of the scotch tape dispenser as a make-shift hammer and wanted to put an end to that.

36. terptoteacher

Jul 21, 2006

A friend of mine bought a mini tool set and kept it in her desk. I can't tell you how many times I had to borrow that--pliers, hammers, screw drivers!!!

I went to School Daze and bought more poster stuff and more calendar stuff. They had cool write on/wipe off paper that can go through your printer!!!!! How cool is that?? You could make your own grids, charts, schedules--whatever!

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Very cool!!

38. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2006

I just bought a clipart collection today. I thought I was done, but I needed airplanes and boats for my bulletin board and couldn't find any premade so I bought some clipart that I can print color onto tag!

39. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 23, 2006

In the private school I worked in last year, and as a sub for half of this year, they gave us everything-cutesy borders, games, more supplies in more varieties than any teacher can figure out what to do with...plus, I teachers can get reimbursed for what they spend out of pocket, although I'm not sure how much, because I was only an assistant. The school I worked in for the first half of this year was also a private school, but with a lot less income (typical tuition in the first is closer $4500 without extras fees, fees for the year, while the second is around $750-$800 a month!) so basicly, I came to a room with no supplies, no toys, and almost no furniture, and raised the money myself...When I say no furniture by the way, I mean I had 8 chairs, some of them broken, for 15 students-until I raised the money for a deposit on chairs, and told the school to pay the rest!

40. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

I use the swatters during whole group when we are playing our vocab word game. You can also use them for Math just write multiples on the board, and have the kids swat the correct answer(ex. say "what is 6*6," and see who is the first to swat 36). I usually did my students into two teams. It is a fun way to learn.

41. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

For those of you using UNDER THE SEA, or SEA related themes, www.learningpage.com is a free 'member' site, that has great themed units and the ocean is one of them. You can print out murals for students to color in (the mural can be repeated over and over to make it as long as you like), fact files with sea creatures, and cut outs of sea creatures. There are free lesson plans/teacher info to go with these units as well. This is a great site for free worksheets. I don't know what I would have done my first year teaching without it!

They also have worksheets at K,1,2,&3 for Math, Science and Language Arts with an Ocean theme. They also have other themes of Space, Zoo Animals, Dinosaurs, Reptiles/Amphibians, and Insect/Spiders.