Buying Coffee

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 23, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 29, 2018

We do have Lidl and Aldi within reasonable driving range. Aldi is closer, but Lidl is't that much further. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I have found the same things about products sold in different countries. The brand name and item name is the same but the formulation is different. It is amazing to grab something you think will taste one way and find it is just not the same. Sometimes it is slight but other times it is really different. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

2. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2018

To be fair on our travels in the US we often find the coffee too weak for our taste and as for tea! Just don't go there with 2 notable exceptions. One was the Dennys in Durango, Co where the waitress insisted she knew how to make 'English' tea and she could! The other was the Fleur dy Lys B&B in St Louis where we had a range of tea pots to choose from.

3. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 29, 2018

I see English tea sold by Lipton (or some similar brand) at Walmart. Does simply heating up water and steeping a bag out of the box not constitute as English tea?

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 29, 2018

Absolutely! As I notice differences in products in other countries, I always think about what they would think about our products with the same brand. I can imagine it is a similar reaction. Some good, some bad.

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 29, 2018

I received $85 in Starbucks gift cards from my students for Christmas! I don't drink a lot of coffee but I do enjoy a peppermint mocha occasionally. I do like their tea, so I will likely use my gift cards for that. I don't go in the mornings though because I would have to leave probably 25 mins early to go to the nearest Starbucks and get back to work on time. I'd rather sleep the extra time :tearsofjoy:.

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2018

The water should be freshly drawn! The bag should be in a pot (I bag per person). The water should be boiling (that's 100C or 212F if you prefer) when it is poured onto the leaves. 2 minutes for the tea to mash. I prefer to put the milk in the cup first, others add it afterwards. Pour the tea and drink as hot as possible. In my experience it is the temperature of the water where the Americans fall down! Worst ever was at a friend's house where she asked if we wanted tea. She put a bag in a mug of cold water and put it in the microwave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When American friends come to stay with us they are amazed by our electric kettle! None of our friends we have visited have one.

ms.irene and catnfiddle like this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 29, 2018

I have one.

blazer likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 30, 2018

My son has apps to most of the better coffee shops in his locale. It seems that many are always offering deals on the apps. Although he uses our Keurig machine if he is visiting, he either uses his Mr. Coffee at home, experimenting with varied flavored coffees, or he follows the deals on the apps to indulge without breaking the bank. I'm not a coffee drinker, so no personal experience, but virtually all of my coworkers ARE coffee drinkers, and I wish I had a pic of all the varied coffee containers from just as many varied coffee sellers that arrive in the hands of the coffee drinkers. I'm all about using the apps to save money on something that I would eat or drink anyway, so if I was interested in coffee, I would approach their purchase in the same way. In all honesty, we were given the Keurig machine - I would not have bought it. Hubby likes it for a quick pick me up, and is fond of the DD and McD pods. I find it takes up room on my counter that could be used more productively, but I can deal with it. My dad was a serious coffee drinker and he would make and drink a pot a day. He would have gone bankrupt buying the pods for the amount of coffee he drank. What you do is all about how much pleasure you get from the beverage. I will go out of my way to get a Coke, driving past establishments that serve Pepsi. It's a choice I can live with.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2019

I sometimes put money on my Starbucks & DD accounts (since I can earn points) and use the $$ until it runs out. I usually won't stop for coffee anywhere unless I'm desperate!!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2019

My friend (who is more of an expert tea drinker than I) has one of those electric kettles that has settings for different kinds of tea and will heat it to the desired temperature since different teas have different temperature requirements (like green tea).

11. Mikarn

Mikarn New Member

Jan 17, 2019

I drink coffee twice a day my day does not start without coffee I prefer only natural coffee. I make coffee at home and I buy coffee in a cafe I like Lavazza

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2019

What do you mean by "natrual" coffee? Organic?

13. Mikarn

Mikarn New Member

Jan 17, 2019

Yes I mean Natural Coffee is a drink that is made from the grains of the fruits of the coffee tree. I do not like instant/soluble

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 17, 2019

I make coffee, tea, cider, etc. using my Keurig at home. I'm sad that I can't use the TheraFlu pods when I'm sick. Hopefully they make a version without a decongestant soon.

I also have a Starbucks addiction. But! I got one of the rewards credit cards, and through different promotions earned enough points for 70 free drinks. Even with an annual fee of $50, that's $300 in drinks that I didn't pay for, which seems worth it. All I did was put my Christmas shopping on that card, then pay it off before interest hit. I'll see if I think it's worth it to keep the card open, or not. If not, I'll close it before my next annual fee.

TrademarkTer and teacherintexas like this.
  15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2019

Yep :) This is how I was taught to make "tea" growing up. When I met my step-grandparents who are British, they were aghast the first time I went to make "tea" this way. They taught me the right way and I have never looked back! I love flying British Airways because they always have hot tea in a pot -- if you ask for tea on an American flight, you will inevitably get a cup of lukewarm water and a teabag still in its wrapper.

Now don't even get started on the definition of "sweet tea" lol!

blazer likes this.
  16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2019

Like the rare few or less of you, I don't drink coffee at all either.

mathmagic likes this.
  17. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 16, 2019

So I just tried this version and was pleasantly surprised. I did microwave the water to heat it up but steeped the black tea bag after. The part I had never tried before was adding milk. I had low expectations since I do not like milk in coffee, but the milk and tea complemented each other really well.

blazer likes this.
  18. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 16, 2019

I have always hated coffee. I have never tasted it before.

I do like Cappuccino.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2019

It's a class thing. Originally tea was so expensive only the rich could afford it. They used porcelain cups which could take the thermal shock of near boiling tea and then they would add lemon. When the price fell far enough for the workers to afford it employers encouraged their workers to have tea breaks instead of drinking gin. However they could only afford earthenware cups which would crack if hot tea was poured into them. To prevent this a small amount of milk was put in the cup first. This avoided the thermal shock.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2019

It's a class thing. Originally tea was so expensive only the rich could afford it. They used porcelain cups which could take the thermal shock of near boiling tea and then they would add lemon. When the price fell far enough for the workers to afford it employers encouraged their workers to have tea breaks instead of drinking gin. However they could only afford earthenware cups which would crack if hot tea was poured into them. To prevent this a small amount of milk was put in the cup first. This avoided the thermal shock.

21. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2019

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2019

Buy a kettle. You will not regret it.

23. maryann0

maryann0 Rookie

Mar 7, 2019

Every day, 2-3 cups of Americano without sugar