Buying Coffee

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2018

How often do you buy coffee? I love Dunkin Donuts and I have gotten in the bad habit of buying a latte before work! I'm thinking of getting a Keurig so it is easy to make coffee at home.

3. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 23, 2018

About once a month, I buy a can of Maxwell House. I set up the pot the night before, and it brews on a timer set ten minutes before I wake up.

blazer and mrsf70 like this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 23, 2018

Tried the whole "brew your own". It's not for me. Yes, I could save probably 2k a year cutting the habit, but I've decided I don't care.

wldywall likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 23, 2018

Assuming you mean a cup of coffee, I buy coffee out maybe 3-4 times a year. I make my coffee at home. I just prefer the consistency and taste of the coffee I use. Coffee out is usually hit or miss.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 23, 2018

If you can afford it and choose to use your money that way, why not. It is no different than people spending money on any other want.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 23, 2018

Never.

I don’t actually like coffee, and there aren’t any coffee places here either. I’ve heard the coffee is decent at a local convenience store, and several people stop at McDonalds. I don’t pass either one on the way to work.

DH has a Keurig, and he takes a coffee to work every day. I have a Keurig at work, but I use it for hot water for soup.

mathmagic likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2018

5 of us take turns doing the morning coffee run, so each of us just buys one morning a week.

9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 24, 2018

I drink my coffee before I leave. Then I switch to tea once I get to school. I don't buy cups of coffee out and about usually. It's got to be a real special occasion.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 24, 2018

I'm a regular at a local coffee shop that I love going to -- I buy coffee from there probably 2-3 times a week. Other days I make coffee at home.
    Since I'm not a big shopper, most of my spending is on food and coffee once my bills/tithe/savings are done.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2018

Never. Coffee is gross. :)
    *ducks and covers*

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 24, 2018

I generally don’t buy coffee as I can’t get over the smell and bitter taste. Though, I do like those glass-bottled vanilla flavored ice coffee drinks.

A favorite Stabucks drink of mine is call a Passion Tea Lemonade and I make sure to have the barista add two pumps of cane sugar and two pumps of raspberry. It’s delicious, I think.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 24, 2018

I am not a coffee fan either, but I have a Keurig that I use for tea, cider, and hot chocolate. The k-cups can be expensive, but you can also fill your own.

Plus, I can offer guests coffee now, so it’s earned its spot on the counter.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

Dec 24, 2018

Pass it off as my ignorance, but I thought Keurig machines were for coffee only! You’re telling me I can basically get instant hot chocolate?!

The price is no object for me.

What have I been doing with my life?!

15. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 24, 2018

You'll have to excuse me but I literally felt my blood sugar go up lol.

16. futuremathsprof

Dec 24, 2018

Haha, it’s not good for you, but it’s quite tasty — I even convinced my colleagues to try it and they love it now!!!

And it’s also why I only have it once a week. It all works out, though, because I seldom eat sweet things.

17. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 24, 2018

Lol yeah I'd probably be barfing the rest of the day! It sounds like that would way exceed my sugar intake limit... For a month!

18. futuremathsprof

Dec 24, 2018

Would it be better if I only get the small cup, lol?!

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 24, 2018

My Never is "It's against my religion" but I really do like the smell of it.

20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 24, 2018

Heh I'm not sure! I explained elsewhere I have a very low sugar tolerance.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 24, 2018

Hot chocolate. Tea. Soup. Plain hot water.

Not just for coffee.

22. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 24, 2018

They make dozens of different flavors and things for those. Hubby's mom has one she loves it.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 24, 2018

Yep. You do have to run an empty cycle afterwards, but that just requires an empty mug and pushing a button. I have salted caramel and regular hot chocolate.

I just looked at my pods. I forgot about the flavored lemonades (brewed over ice). My nephews are the only people who use those flavors, but they request them almost the minute they come in the door.

24. futuremathsprof

Dec 25, 2018

Oh my goodness, they have lemonade pods, too! Have I just been living under a rock?!

My list of aspirations for the 2019 year just increased. I’m getting a Keurig machine pronto!

25. futuremathsprof

Dec 25, 2018

Is there anything this machine can’t be used for? I feel so inadequate and antiquated.

26. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 25, 2018

I tried steak once, and it didn't go so well.

27. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 25, 2018

There's even a filter kit you can get which you can put your own grinds in and run it.

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 25, 2018

Rockhubby is a coffee snob. One of the first things he did when I moved in was to pitch my Mr. Coffee and teach me how to use the espresso maker. Thankfully, I can make really good espresso when half-asleep! We also have a bean grinder so everything is pretty fresh.

That being said, I love Dunkin coffee, especially their Dunkaccino, which is SO ADDICTIVE.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 25, 2018

That's what my DH does. He never uses the pods.

30. futuremathsprof

Dec 25, 2018

Hahaha!

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 25, 2018

Once or twice a week I do Starbucks.

ms.irene likes this.
  32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 25, 2018

I'm a huge caffeine addict. I make my own espresso at home, so much cheaper. And I only drink espresso. Interestingly there is a Starbucks on my corner, literally 30 seconds from my house but I never ever even think about going in to buy coffee, since I can make it at home.
    And now my daughter works at Starbucks, not at that one though.

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2018

Never buy coffeeshop coffee. Just a rip off. Had a friend a couple of years back who owned an hotel. He paid for a coffee franchise. It cost him $5000. Hemade his money back in 3 months. The contents of each cup cost him 9c. He sold the cup for £3!

wldywall likes this.
  34. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2018

There is a specific blend of coffee that I just love. Traverse City Cherry (I'm a Michigan girl). Its the only coffee that I don't need to doctor. I grind the beans fresh and set my automatic machine for when I get up. I have a Starbucks mug that keeps my coffee warm all day. I will switch off to a high quality tea sometimes.

My caffeine intake is probably about to go way up, my new classroom has a kitchen. :D

35. futuremathsprof

Dec 27, 2018

Wow, his profit margins are huge!!!

wldywall likes this.
  36. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 27, 2018

Pretty rarely. I have a really hard time with early mornings and I have to be at school for before school meetings 45 mins earlier than usual a couple of times per month. I often play a little game with myself where I tell myself I'm going to leave extra early to go to Starbucks so I can make sure I'm out the door on time. If I actually leave extra early and traffic is all good, etc. then I go get the coffee. If I run late or traffic is slow at least I'm still on time for the meeting. We have coffee with cream and sugar options provided in our lounge every morning. Most of the time I just drink that for free.

Unetheladyteacher likes this.
  37. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2018

I make tea at work in my Keurig. I can't drink coffee because it hurts my stomach (yes, that's a thing). I do carry K-Cup pods in my office in case the office staff is in need of a boost.

Once in a while, I'll drop by Starbucks for a chai tea latte with almond milk (can't drink regular milk). Those are delicious!

38. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 28, 2018

I make a cup in my Keurig every morning. I treat myself to a Starbucks latte once or twice a month. I enjoy them but at $4-$5 each, it's not something I want to spend every day. I had a few students give me Starbucks gift cards as holiday gifts so I'll treat myself a little more in the next month probably. There are of course cheaper places to buy a cup of coffee rather than a Starbucks latte, but I don't think they taste any better than what I make at home so why waste the money? My new thing is putting a few ounces of milk in a small bottle, shaking it up for 30 seconds so it gets foamy, then heating it for 30 seconds and adding it to my coffee, Easy home made cappuccino!

39. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2018

Had to google Keurig. We had a single cup coffee maker that was sent to my wife on a free trial. It was really useless. 15 minutes to produce a warm cup of muddy coffee. Whereas a cup of piping hot instant using a kettle took 2. No contest. And there was less washing up!

Most schools I work in have an instant boiling water tap in the staffroom and then electric kettles spread around the place in stockrooms and prep rooms so a cup of tea or coffee is never more than a couple of minutes away. You just need a cup with a lid if you are planning to carry the cup from room to room.

40. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 29, 2018

I've yet to find a US instant coffee that I like. I wonder if you have different instant coffees than in the US. I'd love to find a good one.

41. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2018

I have found that sometimes the same brands taste different in the US compared to the UK. Coffee certainly tastes different in the US. Regular UK brands that I would use are Nescafe, Maxwell House, Duewe Egbert. However I usually use a brand from Lidl (not sure you have them in the US but they are a brand like Aldi) which is called Granerom and we like it.