Buying a work wardrobe

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by melissa803, Jun 30, 2009.

1. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

Anyone else working on building a work wardrobe?

You might remember that I posted about getting a middle school job a few weeks ago. I've been a SAHM for a few years now and am ready to start looking professional. I've bought a few things at a big dept. store sale but am trying to watch money as I have a job but not a paycheck yet!

Today when I got the mail one of my family friends (who is a 25+ year teacher) sent me a check for $150 for work clothes!

Isn't that sweet!

3. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jun 30, 2009

That is SO SWEET. I'm definitely going to go buy some new work clothes...I bought a bunch last year before starting the shcool year but I'm telling you..wearing those things over and over really wears the clothes out.

I'm hoping i have a little bit of money to spend at MAURICES this year becuase I just saw their "business" section and the clothes are so adorable there right now.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

I hear ya, malissa. My sister is actually buying me some clothes since I got a job so I can get a few basics from that.

5. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I'm updating my wardrobe from "business wear" to "teacher clothes". I worked in business development and had a bunch of suits, so I'm trying to go more casual while still looking professional. Most of my bottoms are interchangable, though I did wear a knee length pencil skirt to school (preservice teaching) today that was perhaps a bit businessy, especially for summer school.

I bought a bunch of nice looking cotton shirts at Old Nacy on super sale last weekend. Something like $8/ea for great basic round-neck short sleved shirts. I'm sure Old Navy will have another big sale. Also, if you have one, Kohl's usually has pretty good stuff on their 80% off rack, you just have to sift.

Plus, if you have a Marshall's, this is a fabulous store to get cute clothes at cheap prices. I was very, very, very disappointed when I moved here and found out there was no Marshall's. I swear my mother doesn't shop anywhere else.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

Ann Taylor has fabulous sale racks. Especially if you wear a small or medium, you can get great things on the second markdown and save 60% or more.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 30, 2009

New York and Company also has some great teacher clothes for not that much.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

CATO has nice things for work and they always have a sale. I saw some things in there last week that I want to get for school.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

I love New York and Company! It's cheap and professional looking. I usually only buy off the sale rack-you can often get pants and skirts for $7.99.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

All good info so far.
    I've learned that I can handle a kitten heel all day long, still a great looking shoe without a tall heel.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2009

I love Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. They are the perfect clothes for teaching! Professional, functional, fashionable, and mostly fun!:)

12. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 1, 2009

J.C. Penney is having a huge sale right now. I just bought a black skirt for 4.97 and a pair of black pants for 8.97 - both very versatile.

13. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

That is SWEET! I would like that to happen to me... I shop at NYC a lot as well because their clothes fit me very well and they always have $30 off a 60 or 75 dollar purchase it seems. And generally they include sale rack merchandise. I mostly shop when they have lots of items on their clearance rack.

Kohls can be a good bet when they have sales as well. I'm sort of transitioning from buying in the teen section lol (it's so much cheaper!) to buying in the adult women or petite section. Target can also have really good clearance sections, check those out from time to time. I've gotten a few dress shirts there for around $4 and a couple of skirts/dresses. Can't really think of any others that haven't been said already.

**Gripe** I like some Express stuff, but why do they have to make everything so low cut!? I used to shop there more frequently but I go there less and less because I swear their shirts are getting lower and lower cut...

14. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

I got to lose some weight before I buy anything!!!!

But I do like Express, Limited and JcP - all 3 have great sales and stuff that you can mix and match. I'm not a real creative dresser.

15. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2009

YEP!!

16. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

H&M has cute stuff that is inexpensive too.

17. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Oh, the luxury of having an H&M! There are none in AL...

I had totally forgotten about Kohl's. I need to start watching the sale flyers!

And the weight...It's hard to call it baby weight when she just turned 3!

18. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2009

melissa~try 5!!!!

19. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Love Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. Their pants fit me better than anyone else's. I don't recommend spending full price, depending on the grade you teach (kinder can be tough on clothes!) but this year, I splurged abit more.

20. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

I'm also trying to loose some weight before I buy more clothes. I usually try to be something with every pay check, that way I don't open my closet and go yuck, I need new clothes. I try to watch for sales and pick up a few things every month or so.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

For any plus sized ladies, Avenue is having a ridiculous sale. Stuff for under $5.

22. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

I bought a pair of the pants in February before I went to the job fair. I got a white shirt and some other stuff and they had a $50 off deal if you spent over $150. The pants were $60, full price then.

Since then, I've eaten way too many freshly baked biscotti and just bought them in the size up off the sale rack for $14.99.