Buying a Town home!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissFroggy, Mar 6, 2010.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 6, 2010

I am so excited! A friend's dad is a realtor and is going to be helping me. I am very fortunate to have a family member who can help me with a down payment.

I found three town homes in another part of the city from where I live now, and they have WATER VIEWS are in my price range and 2-3 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms. I am most excited about the beautiful kitchens. One doesn't have interior photos, so I don't know about the kitchens, but I am going to post pictures of the other two.

I have been living in my apartment for 4 years and am sick, sick, sick of it. I love my neighborhood (very urban) where I can walk to all the restaurants, bars, shops, but having my own place sounds so good.

They are new construction and have the granite counter tops, stainless appliances, wood floors and everything that I would want.

While I do live alone, the idea of a guest room, an office, or perhaps a baby room (someday) is very appealing. I would like to be a foster parent and want to have the space to do that in a few years (if I am not in the position to have my own with someone else.)

Anyway! Yay! Yay! I can hardly contain my excitement!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 6, 2010

[​IMG] Kitchen 1

[​IMG] View 1

This is my first choice, but I'd pay more for the view.

[​IMG] Kitchen 2

I won't post the rest of the pictures because the houses are just regular bedrooms and things... the bathrooms are very nice and have a similar feel in terms of wood work and tiling.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2010

Beautiful, and how fun!!! I know you'll keep us posted! :)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2010

Beautiful!! It looks like you might have some trouble making a decision! :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2010

I love the tile backsplash on kitchen #2. That is what we did for our backsplash. Good luck on the new purchase. It is good that you have someone you know to help you with the purchase of your first home.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 6, 2010

I love kitchen #2! I love having tons of counter space. What are prices like where you live MissFroggy?

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2010

I like the first kitchen best, but the second isn't too shabby! ;)

Win-Win!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2010

I love the second kitchen as well!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 6, 2010

Super expensive! The first town home is 200k (view!), and the second is 180k. The other one I want to see is 184k. This is a pretty big drop in price though, because a year and a half ago I was looking and the same places would have been 260 or so. The neighborhood is, at best, up and coming. It's a ways away from anything interesting and three freeways from my work! They are also small, 1000-1300 SF.

This is NOT in the part of town that I would ideally choose though. In order to be able to afford more than a studio, I need to move about 10 miles away. In my wonderful neighborhood, the one bedrooms, but 50 years old, would be about 375k. New town homes (there are some on my block) are about 500k. There are 10 year old duplexes on my block and one sold for 750k. These are NOT single family homes, these are town homes or attached houses. It is very expensive here!

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2010

Wow that is expensive--we paid $160,000 for a 3200 sq ft house with a triple garage making the total sq footage over 5000 on almost 2 acres of property. It is strange how prices are so different across the country.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 6, 2010

I thought it was a great deal chemteach:lol:. I would be paying in the $300 000s for a townhouse like that. I'll have to pay about $1 million dollars for your place over here, especially with all of that land:whistle:.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 6, 2010

LOL the prices you mentioned seem more like my area as well!!
    Almost 300k didn't get me a backsplash :lol:

I like kitchen 2!!

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 6, 2010

Wow. I have to say, I like kitchen #2 a lot better, becaus it has a lot more counter space, yet is still very modern and upgraded. :)

I'm so jealous of home prices outide of CA. Here for $200K you don't get much...usually a condo. But because the economy is bad, some cities you can get townhomes and even homes. But you are lucky to get something over 1,100 sq ft or so. It sucks!

Good luck with your search MissFroggy. My husband and I are currently looking for a townhome as well. We've been searching for about a month or so now. Nothing yet!

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2010

I love kitchen #2, also. Good luck!

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 6, 2010

Oh, kitchen #2 has me drooling. I'm going to live vicariously through you and others who are in the process of buying a home. My husband and I also live in an expensive area, and it's going to be a LOOOOONG time before we're able to afford a place of our own.

Good luck-- can't wait to read how things go for you!!!

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 6, 2010

I know... I have fallen in love with that backsplash too! It's also a less expensive town home and bigger.. but it's a two bedroom, not a three bedroom. So many things to consider!!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 6, 2010

Congrats! I love the lighting & window positioning of kitchen #2.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 6, 2010

This is such a great opportunity for you! I'm so proud for you. I love kitchen #2 too, the view from # 1 is awesome. Where would you spend more time? Enjoying the view or in the kitchen?

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 7, 2010

They both look nice but I prefer #2. That kitchen looks great. Good luck!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

What a wonderfully exciting time for you!!!!

OK, here comes the voice of mom.

Both are gorgeous! But make sure that, in addition to backsplashes and windows, you also consider:

-the neighborhood. You want to feel safe. Can you see yourself taking a walk at dusk in any of the 3 you're considering.

How close is the nearest park? Stop by this afternoon, if the weather is nice, and look for evidence of kids. Places with lots of kids around tend to have lots of parents looking out for kids-- and for your property.

-How are the schools in all 3 neighborhoods? Poor schools are sometimes the sign of a neighborhood where property values are falling faster than in neighboring communities.

- Do you have parking? Where is it? Is the distance between your parking and your front door well lit?

-Is there a light over your front door? How about access to any sliding doors from the outside?

-What kind of storage do you have? Closets, crawl space? A place to put a bike for you and/or that foster child?

- Do you have some outdoor space? A balcony or patio where you can sit with a cup of coffee on a warm summer morning? A place to put a BBQ grill?

-How convenient are you to stores? Can you get milk/bread/whatever reasonably easily? Places of worship? A bookstore? A Target-type of store where you can get laundry detergent and shampoo?

-Take a look at the nearest supermarket-- how is their produce? Their meat? Is it a place where you'll be comfortable shopping?

-How good is the nearest hospital? Is there an after hours health care place nearby? Are you close enough to your current doctors, or would you have to switch? Are the doctors on your medical plan reasonably close?

- Which appliances are included? What shape are they in? Do you have, or have room for, a washer and dryer?

- Are the stoves gas or electric? Is that your preference?

-Can you have pets if you choose?

-You mention a water view. Is the water close enough to be a potential hazard for that foster child?

-Even if the house prices are comparable, how do the property taxes compare?? You KNOW that they'll only go UP, but you need to look at where they stand now.

-You mention that they're new construction. How close are each of the comlexes to being finished? How long will you live with the sound of construction, how long until all the units are completed and sold? And are you comfortable with the timelines?

OK, you get my drift. The best of luck as you make your choice!!

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2010

I would also have trouble choosing which home to buy. How about making a checklist with Alice's suggestions and visit each home with checklist in hand. Visit several times at different times of the day and see how things are. Ask some of the neighbors about their experiences. Is there an HOA? If so, how much are the fees? How much reserves do they have in place for major repairs to the community areas?
    We are getting ready to sell our house. In this area, our 1600 sf 3 bed/2bath and den will sell for about 130,000$.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

Wow!!!

We bought our house in 1991. It's a 3 bedroom cape, finished basement, on a 50x100 plot. Back then it had only one bathroom.

We paid $158,000-- 19 years ago!!!

My mom's house is on the market now. It's much larger: a 4 bedroom colonial. Full finished basement, full unfinished attic. She's hoping to get $475,000, even with the decrease in property values.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2010

I guess the plus for low sales prices on homes around here is that apartments are cheaper, also. We will be moving into a townhouse or apartment for the next couple of years and we will be able to get a nice size 3 bed/2 bath for around 700$.
    Although, the kitchens are no where near as nice as the ones MissFroggy is looking at! I'm so happy she is able to move into such a nice home!

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

Good luck, MissFroggy!! I love kitchen #2!

We paid $126,000 for our 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1570 sq ft home in a very nice neighborhood 3 years ago. It's crazy the differences in prices!!

26. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

I know... when I hear about the prices in other places it makes me want to die... but alas, I love it here so I have to deal with the crazy price I'll pay for a home!

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

Alice-

I love your list of questions!! Thanks so much!

-the neighborhood. You want to feel safe. Can you see yourself taking a walk at dusk in any of the 3 you're considering.

All the neighborhoods feel safe. They are off the main road, and most of the homes in the area are single family homes.

How close is the nearest park? Stop by this afternoon, if the weather is nice, and look for evidence of kids. Places with lots of kids around tend to have lots of parents looking out for kids-- and for your property.

There are two beautiful parks close by... one is only a couple blocks away. Another goes down to the water front is a super popular park for hiking/swimming/ has trails and things like that

-How are the schools in all 3 neighborhoods? Poor schools are sometimes the sign of a neighborhood where property values are falling faster than in neighboring communities.

Well, all of our city schools have their highs and lows. I will have to look into this. As far as I know, the schools are pretty good. I even interviewed at one several years ago. The HS is not "renowned" like some of the ones closer into the city though.

- Do you have parking? Where is it? Is the distance between your parking and your front door well lit?

Two have a garage, one has a covered space. I don't know about the lighting yet.

-Is there a light over your front door? How about access to any sliding doors from the outside?

-What kind of storage do you have? Closets, crawl space? A place to put a bike for you and/or that foster child?

I know all have master walk ins and pantries, don't know about much else.

- Do you have some outdoor space? A balcony or patio where you can sit with a cup of coffee on a warm summer morning? A place to put a BBQ grill?

The most expensive one has a great little eating area on a balcony AND a fenced in patio! I really like that one best!

-How convenient are you to stores? Can you get milk/bread/whatever reasonably easily? Places of worship? A bookstore? A Target-type of store where you can get laundry detergent and shampoo?

Target is 4 blocks away, restaurants and businesses are about 6 blocks in the other direction. All walkable!

-Take a look at the nearest supermarket-- how is their produce? Their meat? Is it a place where you'll be comfortable shopping?

I will do this!

The nice thing is this is actually a beach community! There is a sandy beach not far away and the wonderful little restaurants and things that go with that.... so cute!

-How good is the nearest hospital? Is there an after hours health care place nearby? Are you close enough to your current doctors, or would you have to switch? Are the doctors on your medical plan reasonably close?

- Which appliances are included? What shape are they in? Do you have, or have room for, a washer and dryer?

- Are the stoves gas or electric? Is that your preference?

-Can you have pets if you choose?

-You mention a water view. Is the water close enough to be a potential hazard for that foster child?

-Even if the house prices are comparable, how do the property taxes compare?? You KNOW that they'll only go UP, but you need to look at where they stand now.

-You mention that they're new construction. How close are each of the comlexes to being finished? How long will you live with the sound of construction, how long until all the units are completed and sold? And are you comfortable with the timelines?