Buying a Personal Sized Laminating Machine

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AspieTeacher, Jun 23, 2013.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jun 23, 2013

Hello fellow special education teachers, I need some advice and help asap. I plan on purchasing a laminating machine to use in my personal structuring of my classroom materials. I want one that is at least 12" in width and I need an idea what is the best thickness for "cardstock" laminating (3ml, 4ml, or 5ml). I am going to be structuring my classroom to fit the needs of my students with moderate/severe autism. I need ideas if possible.

Troy

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2013

The only "personal-sized" machines I have seen are those made to fit the average 8.5"x11" paper. I've had two: Scotch brand and Fellowes brand. Both worked well to meet my needs in my classroom, but the Fellowes machine eventually died. You might have to spend more $ and buy a professional machine if you want something larger.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2013

I got my classroom laminator from Target. It is SCOTCH brand and has lasted and lasted. I did have this exact laminator before my current one, but tried to laminate something too small and it got caught inside and made it smell like burning. So, I just replaced it with the same one because I loved it so much!

$24.99 at target. Haven't checked in a while but they've had it for years.

And DO NOT buy laminating pouches from Target or any other retail store. The best deal I've ever seen and have used for years is the LaminationKing.com website. It's buy one get one free. Their prices change all the time but 100 3-mil pouches are always under $20 (an amazing deal) but even more amazing that you get one free- so you end up getting 200 pouches for under $20! Because they're heavy, shipping is hefty--- but I always either do a large purchase (stock for a few years) OR stock up with colleagues (when others hear the deal... They want in!!)

Good luck!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2013

I use 3 mil with card stock and it's sufficient!

Sometimes I'll get 5 mil for important things or non card stock. 5 mil on card stock isn't really necessary unless its something used very frequently or you have a "crusher." Haha. Then it works well for that purpose !

6. 1BusyMom

1BusyMom New Member

Jul 12, 2013

Since I am still new it won't allow me to post a link but Amazon sells a 13" laminator by Apache. The base model is $20 and they have a pro model too. I just bought the base model and expecting the package soon so I don't have any experience with it yet. I ordered a package of 100 3mil sheets for just under $10 from Amazon too. Both were elegible for free shipping with an order above $25.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 12, 2013

I also have purchased my Scotch laminator (letter-sized) from Amazon. Sometimes they are included with a Gold Box deal for even more savings. :)

Troy, to give you a rough idea of cost for a 12" width:
    http://www.oregonlam.com/apl320.html

It's about $330...but that's just one company. You may be able to find it less expensive elsewhere?

8. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

I second the Scotch brand from Target. I have also had mine for years and years, it was like $26.00/27.00, and works with either 3 mil or 5 mil, although I do most of my stuff in 3. And I have an autism classroom, so I laminate tons of stuff. I've even taught a few of my kids to use it!!

sk, good tip about the Lamination King! I'll have to check that out.

9. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 16, 2013

I had planned on purchasing a higher grade laminator but bought the Scotch brand instead. It had such high ratings online. It's been fine so far and I've used three different types of laminate with it. The type of paper - card stock etc, matters too.
    The laminator came with a box of sleeves - 3 mil.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

I just bought the Scotch brand because I heard good things about it. I haven't had a chance to use it though.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 16, 2013

I think you'll be pleased with its performance.

One cautionary word - give it a break every so often because it, like most things with motors, etc., can overheat and become faulty.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

Thnaks for the warning Ted! :)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2013

I bought mine from Hobby Lobby. It works great!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2013

I also bought the Scotch brand last summer. The only problem I have is that it leaves air pockets along the sides of the item. A recent example is a name card for my suitcase I just made. It was two layers of cardstock and 1 layer of scrapbook paper. I thought it was supposed to be able to work on this, but it left air pockets around the second (smaller) piece of cardstock. I put it through a second time and it left bleached-looking spots on it.

It has worked very well for single sheets of 20# paper, though!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

I was just thinking about getting one for my classroom. It would definitely be worth it since all of the teachers at my school have only 3 to share.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

Oh no! I better pull mine out. I always use cardstock on everything that I laminate...

17. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I will have to look at the brand that I have- it can do 11x17 pages- and needs no carrier sheet it can handle up to 10 mil

It is very slow and I was lucky enough that my previous employer gave it to me when they were downsizing.
    It has laminated plenty of things- from work to student teaching to all the things that I have found on pinterest and now tons of word cards.

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

My para had this problem and then we discovered there's a wrong way to put items through the laminator. You need to send the closed end in first. It stopped bubbling as soon as we did that!

19. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I have a Wilson Jones variable heat tabloid size 13 inch

It is great- I know it was pricy but well worth it, it can handle large pieces and thick ones with out a issue