Buying a new mattress

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by elizak83, May 10, 2009.

1. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

May 10, 2009

So I'm looking into buying a new mattress and I think that I really want a tempurpedic mattress. I've been looking online and they have a lot of different ones at different price points.
    Does anyone have one of these?? If you do let me know your experience please! (what model/ where'd you buy it/ do you like it?)

Thanks!

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 10, 2009

I don't know about those buy I absolutely love the Novaform matress topper pad that I've been using for about 3 years now. It makes such a difference in how rested I feel on it versus another matress by itself. I got it at Costco for around $100.
    Here's a random link I found for you just now that has more people's opinions about it!!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg082146262516.html

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 10, 2009

This may be off the subject, but! If only I knew before! If you buy one of those enormously tall mattresses, especially the kind with the pillow top, ask for a "low profile box spring!" Unless you like your mattress being higher than your night stand (and the footboard, in my case) look into it.

HTH

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

We've had a Tempurpedic mattress for several years now. The only problem with it is that it's really hard to sleep anywhere else now! It's very comfy.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 10, 2009

Yes, love it. Would not have anything else. We tried one at my daughters house first. They are smelling and you get hot for a while, but after a month or so, all is well. I had back and hip problems, which have disappered due to the new mattress.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2009

My parents have a memory foam mattress, and I hate it. I just can never get comfortable on it. I purchased one of those sleep number beds after the car accident, and it has been worth every penny. I was having trouble sleeping even before the accident, but I rarely have restless nights now!

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2009

We went with the topper (about $400 at target) and are very happy with it.

I slept on a sleep number at Radisson and hAtEd it. But, I know people that have the sleep number and love it.

9. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

May 11, 2009

I have a sleep number right now and I hate it...

I think I'll be going to a mattress store to test out different mattresses.

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 11, 2009

We bought a 3" memory foam topper on sale at Kohls. I think it was about $150. It made a huge difference and I think we can put off buying a new mattress for quite a while now.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 11, 2009

We have a Tempur Pedic in our camper. It's OK, but I don't know that I would want in for my regular bed. But that could be because I only sleep on it 2 days out of a week, and I haven't given it enough days in a row. Don't get me wrong, I can sleep on it, but personally, I don't like feeling like I'm buried in the bed. That's supposed to be the point, so you don't toss and turn, but I just feel like I'm stuck in a hole!

(the reason it's in our camper is because my BIL bought it for his bed, and hated it-and anything is better than a camper mattress, so he gave it to us)

I would never buy anything for my regular bed than what I have right now. A Denver Mattress-love it!

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 11, 2009

kcjo13--someone told me they didn't like their tempur- pedic for the reason you mentioned. Once you layed down, you are kinda stuck and it was difficult for her to change positions. I don't think I would want to be "sunk down" in the mattress either. She also said it was hot.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 11, 2009

I agree with the hotness factor. We usually have our AC cranked in the camper, so that helps, but it's definitely hot.

Can I just say without changing the rating past PG-13 that there are other things about that mattress that are, um, difficult? :blush: I don't want to be naughty, but it's the truth!!! Use your imagination...

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

I used my imagination kc....... and I agree with you.... I love to "read" on a firm mattress........ :p:p:p......

Major.....:):)

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 11, 2009

:rofl: Major! I knew a guy would get it...

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

kc, believe it or not guys "read".........:lol::lol:

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 11, 2009

What are you "reading" there, Major? :eek:

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 11, 2009

The sleep number beds take a little getting used to. Once you find your ideal comfort level (number) they are wonderful though. And you can adjust the firmness to suit your reading pleasures!

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 11, 2009

Oh, this is funny...!

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

All sorts of things..... I've always believed a well read man is a happy, content man.......:p:p

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 11, 2009

We've had one for almost a year now. At first I wasn't too sure about it...like people have said, you seemed to get "stuck" and it was sometimes hard to turn. But now, it's very comfy and I don't get stuck anymore, because I guess I just got used to it. I would highly recommend getting one. Ours is a Queen and we paid about $2500ish. They threw in a couple pillows and a "protective sheet", which prevents the things from getting dirty...but it was ridiculous so we took that off and just use a regular sheet. I don't like the pillows much though, they are just too stiff for me, but everyone is different!

22. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

May 12, 2009

We have a Sleep Number bed, and we love it.

I get to change the firmness with the push of a button, and it was fun trying to find the number I wanted on a regular basis (I am a nice, firm 55ish).

Love it!

And reading is awesome in it...:lol:

23. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 12, 2009

BTW, as for the "reading" on the bed and what KC was talking about...heh, I have to say there is not a problem with that on this mattress. No springs = no squeaks and no chance of one poking you in the back! I've had a bad mattress before, believe me a tempurpedic is heaven after that, haha. ;)

But the major point is, you get used to everything about it.

The hotness factor...I don't really get that. And if that was even a thought upon purchase, I would have never bought this thing because our room has the poorest air circulation and when it's hot in this room it's HOT...but it was the same even before we bought the tempurpedic.

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

So WB, are you saying the ideal firmness varies with the particular book you are "reading?......:D

I'm heading for the gym........ heavy bench press day......:p:p

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 13, 2009

The foam needs a good breaking in to be really comfy. The saleman told us to have a kid walk on it for a while. And, the cover is to protect it from water--as it should be waterproof.

As for the hot factor, yes, until you get used to it, you will find it is hot. I don't find that we sink into the foam, but it was hard turning over until we got used to it.

As for reading---well you will have to try it for yourself.

26. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 13, 2009

I think the cover is a good idea. But it's just that it feels like you're sleeping on a piece of plastic that's under a sheet. And whenever you move it's like crunch crunch, weird noises...not something you'd associate with a comfy night's sleep!

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 13, 2009

MissWull, our cover is not plastic, it is an expensive fiber. I agree, those plastic covers are awful. They make me sweat. I also put a mattrass pad on the bed to help cut down the heat.