Buying a new computer

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by forkids, Feb 9, 2007.

1. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 9, 2007

I am looking at new computers because my old one is having problems and I'm ready to buy. I've been looking at both Dell and Gateway. Does anyone have experience with either (good or bad)?
    Any recommendations about what to buy and which company to go with would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 9, 2007

we are looking into getting a new one too, and we (my DH) decided to go with DELL.

4. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

I own three Dell computers and would definately buy from them again. The computers are great and the warranties are great. The only problem I have ever had with them is trying to get an English-speaking rep. on the phone when I needed help. The modem in my old laptop went out and they sent me a new one to install (for free and it was out of warranty, no less) and I went through 2 reps. before I got one that I could understand well enough to follow his directions to install the silly modem.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

Even though my Dell is causing problems right now, they have been great in taking care of it. I had a Gateway and never had that kind of support. I say go for the Dell.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 9, 2007

I have a new Dell at home and a new Gateway at school. I like them both. Both were easy for me to set up. I haven't had to deal with a sales rep for the Gateway, since any computer problems go through our tech guys in the district.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2007

I have 2 desktops & 1 laptop at home...all Dells. I'd definitely buy Dell again & again. The school districts in my area all use Dells. That should say something! :)

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2007

I've had good luck with both Gateway and Dell. My last purchase.......... the one I'm using now......... is a Dell Notebook Inspiron E1705. I'm very pleased with it.

Major Hunt :) :)

9. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else out there had good or bad experiences?

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 24, 2007

Back before I got married, I dated a computer geek (really handsome computer geek, but geek just the same) and he said Gateway's mother boards were horrible.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2007

I've heard lots of complaints from friends with Gateway computers. I have a Dell desktop at work and 30 Dell laptops. The laptops are a huge pain. They've had a million weird little things to wrong, and trying to wade through tech support is a nightmare! We've had some problems with the Dell desktops not copying to the CD drives correctly. Overall I really like the desktop, though.

I have an Averatec laptop that I love. I've had it since 2004. I haven't had a single problem with it. One of my friends has one just like it, and she loves hers, too.

I'd not had a single "store bought" computer since my first computer, an IBM PCjr back in the early 80's. I had all of mine custom made locally. You can beat a custom made computer if you can get one.

I just bought my frist "store bought" desktop last week. It's a lenovo . . . which is made by IBM. So far it's working great! The only issue is that I would NOT recommend buying a computer with Windows Vista. There are still too many bugs and compatibility issues with them. All of the issues I've had so far have been Vista-related.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

Right now Macs are the best out there. As far as gateway verses dell, the Gateways are better (at this time). That is what my IT, Webdeveloping bf just said.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 24, 2007

I have had my gateway for a year and no problem with it at all....knock on wood....

14. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Feb 25, 2007

I would first recommend an Apple computer, but it seems you are set on buying a PC. :)

I have worked with both Dells and Gateways, and have definitely had a more pleasant experience with Dell. The Gateways had more problems freezing, needing to be restarted/ restored, and in the past, lots of the parts were integrated into the motherboard, which meant that if they broke, you had to get your motherboard replaced. I don't know if they still do that though, cause I stopped using Gateways, and don't know anyone who does.

Of course, once, we had a new Dell laptop, took it out of the box and quickly put in a DVD to try out the new DVD drive, and the whole computer froze, requiring a complete reinstall. I thought it was hilarious. The owner of the laptop didn't find it so funny. That was a long time ago though. All the Dells I came into contact with worked as great as a PC can work.

Someone in the thread said that their whole school district uses Dells and "that should say something." All that says is Dell was able to sell computers and service to the school cheaper than their competitors. :)

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 25, 2007

How about this one. Every school system in the state of Maine has IMac computers. Every 7th grader in the state has a IMac assigned to them.

I had a Dell laptop it caught on fire after the warrenty ran out.

16. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Feb 25, 2007

Hey, I am as much of a mac zealot as anyone else, but anyone who has worked in schools for any amount of time can tell you that most school districts aren't buying "the best" computers for the students to use, but "the best value.." which almost always means the least expensive.

Our school went from all mac to all PC just a few years ago. Teachers held on to their macs as long as they could, and I even took in all the tossed out macs to my classroom, which they allowed me to do as long as I provided all the "support" for them myself. A year later, when they again tried to pull the macs for PCs, I refused, so they refused to allow the macs on the network, which forced me to finally give in. The entire first year, all I heard from the students was "the old computers didn't do this!," or "Can't we get the old computers back?" Things are smoother these days, but still not nearly as smooth as our all-mac network used to be.

Does my story prove that Macs are better than PCs? No, not at all. Everyone will have their own personal preferences these days. What it does prove is that a statement like "Get brand XXX because everyone else is doing it, so it must be good," is a bad way to do business, especially when "everyone" is a school district basing their decisions on budget constraints or on whatever the IT people they hired that school year are telling them.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 25, 2007

Actually I love the IBook laptop that the school assigned to me. I like it better than my sister's HP Pavilion laptop, Bf's Sony Viao (laptop), and my mom's new compac laptop.

The I book came with a ton of cool program. Which I don't think actually come on it, the state bought the programs.

Here is a link http://www.maine.gov/mlte/

18. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Feb 25, 2007

Three simple words: GET A MAC!

You can run Windows (if you must), on the new Macs, you can run Office on a Mac, they're easier, more reliable, far less prone to viruses and spyware.....and when configured comparatively, LESS EXPENSIVE.

Think Different.........go Mac!

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 25, 2007

A few of my friends have Macs and love them.

20. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2007

I agree with Music Doc. Get a Mac! My son talked me into it and I love my Mac. I have a PC at school (brand new Dell) and it doesn't even compare to my Mac. I send MicroWord files back and forth all the time and have no incompatibility issues. I love my Mac!!!!

21. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Feb 26, 2007

I went shopping for a computer of my own for the first time last year. I was so confused on what to buy....I'd never had my own computer before. My brother is a computer nerd...he builds them and provides tech support for my uncle's company. He said that Dell is one of the better ones to buy. He's had experience with Dell and Hewlett Packard, among others. He had high praises for Dell, and that's what I got: A Dell Inspiron B130 laptop. It's the very basics, but it provides me with what I need. I love it. I take it everywhere, since I have wireless capabilities. I've been lucky so far. I only had to take it in once because the CD-ROM drive was making a weird noise, but it was still under warranty. They found a virus or two, due in part to my brother disabling the McAffee, and put AVG on it. I only had to pay like $35 for all the work done. Since then, no problems.

22. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 26, 2007

This is my problem with Dell, the representatives. :eek:

23. mincc

mincc Companion

Feb 27, 2007

I have a Dell laptop. It is 3.5 years old and is now missing some letters-I can still type, but it is a little rough. :) My computer is most definitely on its way out. My finances are not good, so I am hoping it can survive longer. I have used this computer A LOT, so it has served its purpose. The battery life stinks. Dell customer service has been terrible, in my experiences.

For those of you who have switched to Apple computers, has it been an easy transition? I am set on getting a MacBook some day and I was just wondering how it was to switch from a PC. :)

24. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2007

I am a Mac switcher and I have no problems at all. It is so easy to use and Microsoft Office is compatible between a PC and a Mac. I have a Dell at work and a Mac at home and I am always emailing Word documents back and forth and never had a problem! I love my Mac!!!!

25. mincc

mincc Companion

Feb 28, 2007

Thanks!

Emma,

I appreciate your info. I figured it would not be too bad, but mostly everyone I know has PCs. I really need to start saving, as my laptop is now making some strange noises. :eek:

Thanks again! :)

26. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 28, 2007

shoot dang, I had to go buy a new computer tower yesterday our other one crashed the day before. We went with another E machine but its got intel not the other thing. It also has vista and we are getting used to that.

27. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 2, 2007

Whatever you do, stay away from Hewlett Packards. HPs have a terrible burn-out rate and thus don't have a whole lot of longevity to them. When my HP burned out on me, I was 3 months away from having it for 2 years.

I've had a Gateway in the past and hated it. In fact, the tech guy with Nerds on Site, the company that helped me with my latest issues, told me that Gateways weren't good systems and that one should stay clear of them - way clear.

I'm now on my second DELL and love it. I love it so much that I think I'll be staying with DELL as my computer supplier.

As for Macs, the Nerds on Site tech guy said that they're preferable to a PC, but if you had to have a PC then you should go with a DELL. I've contemplated them a few times, however, the price of Macintosh computers is what drives me away from actually buying one. Not to mention, many districts and private schools are starting to make the switch from Macs to PCs because they're now just starting to realize that most students have PCs at home and can't really take Mac disks home to finish the stuff they've started at school. So to make it easier on the kids, PCs are now starting to find their way into schools all across the country. Why would you want a Mac when more and more districts and private schools are leaving them behind? Yes, Macs may be better than a PC from what I've heard, but the market is so saturated with Windows stuff nowadays that it's better to stay with something that can be highly interchangeable in hardware and software. After all, only Mac stuff works with Mac.

My advice, go with a PC and make it a DELL.

28. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2007

Not true. Microsoft Office is fully compatable with Macs and Pc's. Except Publisher. Word, excel and Powerpoint can now be used on both and I do use both everyday and have never had a problem.

29. Suburban Gal

Mar 3, 2007

Maybe, but I'm sure you've seen the price tags of Macs. By the time you add your periphials to it plus other charges [tax and shipping], you're paying a lot more than you would be paying for a PC with those same periphials.

Not to mention, many districts and private schools are starting to make the switch from Macs to PCs because they're now just starting to realize that most students have PCs at home and can't really take Mac disks home to finish the stuff they've started at school. So to make it easier on the kids, PCs are now starting to find their way into schools all across the country. Why would you want a Mac when more and more districts and private schools are leaving them behind?

When it's all said and done, I'd rather be using what the students are using.

In any case, the OP asked for advice and I gave her mine.

30. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2007

Dells are good. I have always had one and when my old one crashed I ordered a new Dell. I waited and waited for it and checked online for the delivery date and it was dated for 2 weeks past what was promised me. So I called Dell and they explained that it was because a part was on back order so I said no problem. Well 2 weeks went by and I checked the online status and my order was cancelled. I was so mad, Dell never told me they were cancelling my order and I would be still waiting today if I had not checked the online status. So I called and they said the reason it was cancelled was because they couldn't get a part so I asked to talk to someone to reorder another computer. Of course it was a Saturday and they said because it was an employee purchase (through my husbands work) that there was no one there to help me until Monday. They promised someone would call me first thing Monday and they never did. In the meantime I priced out an iMac. It wasn't much different so I went ahead and bought my iMac and I am glad I did. I know this was an isolated incident and that it doesn't happen all the time, however I am glad it did since now I have my iMac and I love it.

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 4, 2007

I guess the debate over Macs and PCs will continue no matter what. I would go with whatever you're used to. I've only ever used a PC until last summer when I started my Masters. On campus they only have Macs, which isn't really hard to learn. My only frustration was having to learn new trouble shooting methods. I've grown up using PCs, and our school district has only had PCs (I went through the school district that I teach in). Anyway, I would go with what you're comfortable with.

32. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 24, 2007

I finally decided to buy a Gateway and so far I'm pleased with it.
    Thanks for the advice.

33. Suburban Gal

Mar 27, 2007

I'm glad to have given my advice and hope you like your Gateway. I have a friend who owns one and he likes his. Then again, he's a gamer and they're basically built for such purposes. If you're not using it for gaming then it was bought for the wrong reason.

I was really pleased with mine at first, but I think that wears off quickly. I've been pleased far, far longer with my DELLS than I ever was with my Gateway.

Again, I hope you like yours.