Buy Maths materials for home???

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by littlerascals, Nov 10, 2009.

1. littlerascals

littlerascals New Member

Nov 10, 2009

I have two pre-school age children attending Montessori. My question is do you think it is worth buying the Maths materials to use at home once they start national school?
    I believe that Maths is a very hard subject for children to grasp and I have a degree in Montessori(although I haven't worked in it for almost 10yrs) so I know how to present the materials.
    Maths can be such a hard subject for children that it has to benefit using concrete materials to explain it. It is just so expensive to buy it!
    I would be grateful for others opinion on the matter.
    Do you think it would benefit my kids or would they be as well off learning in the traditional drill and practice way???

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2009

By national school do you mean a non-Montessori setting?

It could go either way, really. I know I have math materials at home for my son to use, but only because he has some learning disabilities and they are materials my school was going to throw away, so I took them home to use with him.

I would think a few sets of bead bars would go a long way towards helping with math. If I were going to purchase anything, that's where I'd start.

4. littlerascals

littlerascals New Member

Nov 11, 2009

Thanks!
    Yes I mean non-Montessori setting. Would love to send them to a Montessori school but in Ireland there is only one Montessori National School(approx. age4-12) I know of and it is about 200miles from us!

After posting this thread last night I ordered some materials.
    I am not working in Montessori at the moment but I am starting to think about returning to the Montessori classroom.
    I bought the single units and the ten bar beads so hopefully will keep adding to them.
    I also bought the Pink Tower, some dressing frames, colour boxes 1&2 think I start to build up materials bit by bit.