Butterflies released!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by schoolteacher, May 8, 2010.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 8, 2010

We raised painted lady butterflies, and my students learned so much. We were able to observe a butterfly emerge from the chrysalis. It was such an exciting moment for them! They loved this science unit. Even those who at first thought the caterpillars were "creepy" came around in the end when the butterflies emerged.

We took the butterflies outside on Friday to release them. I told the children to make a wish and not tell anyone what it was, and that when their butterflies flew away, their wish might come true. They solemnly nodded and made their wishes.

When we came back in and I asked for their comments, one boy said, "I almost cried a little bit."

Another boy said, "I did cry a little bit."

Many children said they were sad to see them fly away, but were happy that they were now free.

I'm glad we released them. They are native to our area, and the benefit of seeing these children respond in such a profound way to this small miracle was so worthwhile.

Moments like that make me so glad I'm a teacher.

In two more weeks, we go see the butterfly exhibit at the Academy of Natural Sciences.

Anyone else doing butterflies?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 8, 2010

I always raise butterflies (except this year since I am out on leave). My kindergarten students love it and they are so sad when we release them, they often write letters to them afterwards. Last year one of them wouldn't leave, I had to encourage it by putting it on my hand and it sat there for 5 minutes while the kids told it goodbye.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 8, 2010

5. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 8, 2010

I teach high school math, surely there's a way I can tie this in to my curriculum. That is uber cool.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 8, 2010

Yes, we are having fun and learning a lot.

The monarchs all emerged in the last two weeks and we released them.

The swallowtails have pupated and will be out soon.

The fritterlary just hatched from an egg and is a tiny caterpillar.

All the eggs were gathered by a mom who has the milkweed, anise and passion vine in her yard and gives them to me every year. I am learning to i.d. the eggs myself and started growing milkweed. I encourage everyone to do it.

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

May 8, 2010

We raised painted lady butterflies this year. It was my first time doing it and it was so much fun! The kids and I learned a lot and we were sad to see them go. The butterflies really didn't want to leave our happy home but they flew away and the kids said their goodbyes. It was so sweet.
    I will definitely do it again next year!

8. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

May 8, 2010

May do it finally

Thanks for your post. I've thought about doing something with butterflies for years. Now I'm going to finally do it.

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 8, 2010

I had to raise them twice in college - I never managed. One caterpillar just completely disappeared on me, and for the next one, the prof told me to keep it in a Mcdonalds salad? cup. One little tiny leaf folded over and collected some water, and some how, my caterpillar drowned in that one tiny place. There was also a third one but I can't remember what accident happened to it. I finally gave up on attempting to raise my own deciding it just wasn't meant to me. I'll stick with silk worms

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 8, 2010

I did it when I was a children's ministry director for many years - symbolic of ascension day - and it was always a major hit! I always worried it would be too cold, or the butterflies would die before they were released because I had an exact Sunday that I wanted to do it. Sometimes they would stay close and land on the kids. That was really special.

11. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 8, 2010

I also are in the process of watching caterpillars turn into chrystallis' and we have 1 butterfly and 7 more chrystallis' to go. The children come in every morning to see if there are any changes. We also planted seed in little clear glass cups and are watching seed sprout in clear bags on each table. Very exciting to watch them look in amazement.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 9, 2010

Aww - I miss this! We always did it w/ our 2nd graders...I need to get 3rd grade on board with this!

13. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

May 9, 2010

I'm doing the painted lady butterflies for the first time! They are still caterpillars...very exciting though and the kids love observing them!

14. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 15, 2010

It's my second year doing this. 7 chrysalis', 1 caterpillar. 2 of the chrysalis' fell to the floor of the cage though. I'm waiting to see what will happen to them. We should have butterflies sometime this week.
    I also do mealworms(they become beetles)as part of our insect unit.

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 15, 2010

I did this last year. The kids LOVED it. This year we have crayfish and goldfish in our room.