Butcher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jenngugs, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I'm growing tired of the standard grocery store, and was considering trying out the local butcher. I know the butcher has better quality meats, but typically, how are the prices compared to local grocery stores by you?

3. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

My local Land & Sea Market is more expensive than the grocery store if you compare item-to-item. However, they have awesome weekly specials. For example, one week you might get 2 stuffed chicken breasts and two filet mignons and two pork chops, a choice of chicken salad or artichoke dip, a choice of cold cuts or hot dogs, and a choice of some sort of side dish. All together, the package is $25 or $30. It's a bit expensive, but all the items are seasoned, stuffed or otherwise prepared, and are perfect for a couple without kids.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I absolutely love the meat shop where I live. We only have a few grocery store choices (Wal Mart is one...) and the meat just isn't that great.

I pay a little more per pound but I know that it tastes good and my family will eat it. Also, the chicken is fresh, not full of hormones and is range fed. The pork is not full of preservatives. The beef is shipped to them whole and then they cut it. I can choose pre-wrapped or out of the display case. I'll never go back to grocery store meat again!! A couple of times they have had specials but not often.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

There are actually no separate meat shops that I know of in my area. The only ones I see is if I happen to drive by the not-so-good areas. There are these little mom & pop grocers & liquor stores that are amongst the residential homes. I wouldn't even dream of buying anything from those places.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 28, 2008

my local butcher (where I take our pigs and steers to be butchered) will sell fresh meat if they have it in stock. She is more reasonable than the stores and the meat is better. There is no water cooking out of her ground beef (I hope that is water).

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

You pay for quality.
    Keep in mind too that tenderloin, for example, comes in wide ranges of quality.
    cow tenderloin is what a grocer usually sells.
    steer tenderloin is what a butcher usaully sells.
    These prices per pound can be double the difference but IMO all worth it!