BUT I HAFTA GOOOOOOOO!!!! I CAN'T HOLD IT!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Dec 4, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2011

I just reread what I wrote. My wording definitely needed to have been more considerate! I apologize. You didn't deserve that. I do think that there is not enough structure in place, but that's why you are here! You deserve our support and understanding.

As to what procedures you need to teach... you just named one. They need to learn not to go while you are teaching whole group. I am assuming your lessons are not more than 10-15 minutes long at one stretch. You need to teach them when is a good time to go and when it isn't. While it would take their bodies time to get used to that (and think ahead) and it doesn't guarantee that someone won't need to go in the middle of a lesson, over time and with reinforcement, it is an effective rule.

Secondly they need to learn time management when they go to the bathroom. You need some kind of rule and procedure for this.

Kids will take advantage of both of these areas if you let them because they are both social creatures and developmentally time is not an issue especially since playing is so much more tempting. But kids can be taught to follow procedures to help them learn both of these areas.

Many of the suggestions here are really good and can be used in conjunction with good solid procedures in order to reinforce them and transition them into a more structured plan.

(I have had a variety of bathroom settings. The closest I've come to what your situation is one scheduled break and bathroom as needed--bathroom semi across the hall).

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

It might be tricky with Big P watching all the time, but if it works, perhaps you can eventually use it as another motivation tool; The table that works best/quietest will get to go first today. Naturally, you just make sure that different tables are the "best group" each day. ;)

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2011

I have a fairly similar bathroom situation. I could take my class at certain times but do not. I emphasis using the bathroom at recess and before school. I send two children at a time. If more than two need to go I only send them if they say "Ms. Earthmonkey it is an emergency", which is rare. I also ask if it is an emergency the children are pretty straight forward with yes or no. If I have an escape artist I then give them one time during an hour or so (this makes them think about whether it is worth wasting the one visit they get). If there are 9 children asking to go I pick the children who go the least first and work towards the more normal bathroom goers (also known as escape artists) if they are still asking. Usually as I work through the 9 they stop asking. It seems to also cause the children to tell me before the emergency because they know only 2 go at a time.

I find I have the most difficulty with lots wanting to go when we have just completed an exciting interesting lesson or activity that kept them all from going.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2011

That's an interesting conversation and funny too.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2011

I did something mean once. :D I had one girl ask me to go to the bathroom but I KNEW she was just asking just to be, well, annoying. She was a smart girl, VERY SMART, but quite a handful. :rolleyes: So, I just finsihed up a phonemic awareness lesson and she asks if she can go to the bathroom. I said SURE! Then I said, now let's do our fun Dr. Jean Dracula song that they LOVED! She stopped on her way to the bathroom and turned around. I said, "don't you need to go to the bathroom?" She didn't say anything and slowly kept walking to the bathroom. hee hee hee heeeee. :lol:

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2011

Em, with the type of position I have only working w/ kids for 30 min at a time, I rarely have kids ask me to go to the bathroom, but when they ask, I still let them. I would NEVER not allow anyone to go.

Back when I was subbing, I know that when 1 kid had to go, everyone suddenly had to go. I always wondered if kids just did that with subs.

Anyway, just always stress at the beginning of the year when you're going over school rules & continuously throughout the yr that when they go to the bathroom to not move slowly or play around. Just do what they have to do, make sure they wash theire hands and walk back.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

Yes. Substitute teachers apparently can cause general amnesia (We don't remember what we were working on before) and an epidemic loss of bladder control. :lol:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 7, 2011

I figured so!

9. SacTeacher

SacTeacher Rookie

Dec 19, 2011

When I taught 1st, at the begining of the year we had a discussion about when to do certain things and why. i.e. Why is it a problem when 9 of you have to go to the bathroom at the same time? Guide the discussion toward the outcome you want. Talk about "good times" to go (recess, lunch, table work time, etc) and "bad times" (teacher talking, phonics, etc) Then remind before each break period. Talk about what a bathroom emergency is, We had a "get up for a tissue" problem, I discussed what a "nose emergency" looked like - There is something coming out of your nose, not a tickle, a sniffle or a sneeze. The "nose emergency" was the only time it was acceptable to get up while I was talking-no need to ask. They could get tissues freely lots of other times, but this defined the circumstances that warrented getting up while I was talking - Does this make sense? You need to define the ideal times and define what an exception might "look like, feel like"
    The other thing I did was give out pennies for good behavior, they got to "shop" at the end of the week - reinforcing money skills :) and going to the bathroom during class cost a penny - so it was a deterrent for going when they just wanted to play. I had 2 girls that went everyday during workshop, even though it cost them a penny - I talked to them about how I noticed this and asked them what a better idea was, they both started going at recess and stopped leaving class. (caution - I had a student report to her mother that I charged them for going to the bathroom - mother got very upset that I would take money from kids - I had to explain the whole penny reward thing -oops!)

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2012

We had one student in who asked to go all day long. And he'd either be gone so long we knew he was playing around in the bathroom (and of course other kids would rat him out in a heartbeat) or he'd come back so quickly we knew he couldn't possibly have gone. The problem was if we denied him he'd ALWAYS say he felt sick and it was an emergency. He was very dramatic about it too, to the point where he'd throw himself on the floor kicking and screaming. So after discussing it with the guidance counselor and deciding this wasn't a battle we wanted to fight we decided we'd let him go anytime he asked but we'd make him keep his own sign out sheet. Normally the kids just sign out once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Now he has a sign out sheet that is all his own with the time he leaves the room and time he returns. We explained to him that we were concerned he was using the bathroom so frequently, maybe he needed to go to the doctor and we were doing this because we were concerned. (His mother knew we were doing this.)

The first day we used it I think he wanted to see how many lines he could fill up on the sheet. He went to the bathroom 7 times in the morning and 4 times in the afternoon. At the end of the day I photo copied the sign out sheet and gave it to his mother. I think I lightbulb clicked in his head at that moment that maybe we'd caught on to him. Things have gotten much better with his bathroom issues since then, but we still use the sign out seat because it is better for our sanity to allow him to go rather than to deal with the tantrum. (Sounds terrible I know but you have to choose your battles and there are many with this student.)

Our regular bathroom rules are once in the morning, once in the afternoon, never while we're at the rug. (Where all of the teaching is done.) 1 boy out at a time, 1 girl out at a time. Students who frequently take longer than 5 minutes to go to the bathroom are timed and when they are gone too long they have to change their card (we use the red, yellow, green system) when they return. This is only a few, mostly boys who like to play in the bathroom and often return covered in water.

11. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 8, 2012

Potty

I make it clear when appropriate times to ask to use the restroom are. They get sent in small groups at 9:00 because my room is right next to the restrooms so I monitor at the door of the room (after specials at the end of tutoring) before we start switching classes. They know to go then because it won't be appropriate to take a break for a couple more hours. There is a signal the kids give (crossed fingers) if they need to go later in the day (not while I am up teaching). I will either nod and or ask them to wait if someone is out. A lot of the kids' time is spent in stations or working rather than me talking at them, so there are a lot of times that are okay to go.