BUT I HAFTA GOOOOOOOO!!!! I CAN'T HOLD IT!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 4, 2011

:help: Bathroom breaks are the bane of my existence. At my old school, we were took the entire class on 3 bathroom breaks a day.

The breaks were:

-1 hour into the reading block

- 10 minutes before lunch

- 10 minutes after recess

Yes, it ate up about 5 - 10 minutes of instruction time, but it cut down on kids constantly having to go.

At my current school kids are allowed to go the bathroom and/or get water whenever they want.

So I'm in the middle of teaching and I look out on the carpet and sometimes I see 7 kids giving me the "fist nod" (1st grades signal for bathroom).

I let one boy and one girl go at a time.

Some come back quickly, but there's always those that you just know are taking FOREVER (5 - 10+ minutes) because they are playing around.

Then another kid in my room REALLY needs to go leaving me with some crappy choices:

1) Allow ANOTHER kid to leave the room which means now I have THREE kids out using the bathroom. Then if someone else needs to go REALLY REALLY bad (because you know it's ALWAYS an emergency with 1st graders) then what, let yet another kid go out?

2) Stop teaching and yell down the hall in the direction of the bathroom "LITTLE BILLY GET OUT OF THE BATHROOM SO LITTLE JOHNNY CAN GO!"

3) Stop teaching and tell Little Johnny to tell Little Billy to get out of the bathroom

4) Refuse to let the child go until the other returns which means risking having the child pee on themselves resulting in embarrassment, risking a UTI and angry parents

In addition, when the kids go to the bathroom, they load up on water. I have told them multiple times...get water first if you're thirsty, then use the bathroom.

But I know that can't be the case because sometimes I send little Johnny and 20 minutes later he is squirming in his seat and about to break his arm doing the bathroom signal. Sometimes I say, "You just went you have to wait." and I'll pretend not to pay attention to see what he does.

Sometimes the kid goes back to centers and doesn't ask again, but other times you can tell the really do need to go. So I send them again and they pee, then load up on water, so the cycle starts again.

I talked to my teammates about it. One was like, "If it's a knucklehead kid that I know plays around I tell them they have to hold it. If they whine that they can't, i tell them to go ahead and pee on themselves." :eek:

Another one said, "I take their recess time if they play around."

The others said they felt as lost as me.

Suggestions? (aside from take the entire group on a bathroom break. Our P would never allow that)

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 4, 2011

With regard to drinking water, here's what I do (and it works): I tell them I do not want them drinking lots of water during class for the obvious reason. As such, I tell them to:

-rinse (mouth) once
    -get ONE gulp/swallow of water
    -rinse again

I mostly leave the second rinse off, because the first two in the process go well enough. But I don't know if it's the idea that it's some sort of procedure or protocol that they like, or whatever. But they do follow the rule.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 4, 2011

I let them go.

I just can't imagine someone telling me that I could not go to the bathroom. They are human beings, and they should be able to go when they need. I also do not how long they have been holding it.

I've had enough accidents this year in my classroom - even with letting them go when they need to.

If someone is already out of the room going to the bathroom, I tell the child they can go when Johnny is back. If they really can't hold it I risk a little playing in the bathroom to avoid an accident in front of the whole class.

Sometimes I'll ask if they can hold it for a couple more minutes if it's right before recess.

Right before our Daily 5 time I will allow each child the opportunity to go - and then they are not supposed to ask during the Daily 5. However, if a kid does ask I know it's a real emergency and I let them go. No one abuses this.

If someone asks to go 2 minutes after recess, I remind them of when a good time to go is (** during recess**) but still allow them to go. Now that we are fully into winter clothing, taking off those ski pants to go to the bathroom is a lot of work.

Just let them go.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 4, 2011

Wow. I don't know what to say.

Taking the entire group is the obvious answer and also makes the most sense, especially for 1st graders. Heck, even the middle schools I work in schedule bathroom breaks for the whole class for the same reason.

I'm very sorry your P refuses to allow that.

As Yoda would say "Glad I am that, work in your school, I do not."

In the meantime, here are a few more hugs.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2011

So you cannot take them as a group? That's been confirmed?

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 4, 2011

I call the kids in small groups (by tables, so it is 3-4 kids) 2-3 times a day and then they give the signal if they need to go in-between. My P is totally against group breaks too. I call them my table and they choose to go or not, I try to do this at times that are not disruptive or things that I do every day so they aren't actually missing out, like calendar, they never miss the exact same part of the calendar routine, so they still get full calendar content 4 days a week, just missing a tiny bit each day. My tables are (obviously) set up so that they are grouped to work well together so they hardly ever play (at least too much ;)).

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 4, 2011

I take mine whole class as well. Mine have been "trained" to where they really don't need to go bad enough where they interrupt me. Plus they do the same in Kindergarten so I think that helped. I have the occasional ones that tell me "Yes I went at ___ time but I promise this is an emergency and I will hurry" because I time some of them and they know it. I have one little boy who will spend 30 minutes in the bathroom if I am not vigilant about timing him.

I take them:
    Once before PE (9:00)
    Once before lunch (11:20)
    Once before art/music/library (1:30)
    Once before the bus kids leave (around 3:10)

I do have some that will interrupt me but it's never more than once a day and never more than three kids which one I know has a bladder issue.

I really wish I could help you... :( Taking them as the whole class would definitely help your situation I think but I assume that is a definite no in your school.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 4, 2011

I always let the kids use the restroom as long as I'm not in the middle of a lesson.

If it seems like it's an emergency, though, I always let them go. I wouldn't want anyone to have an accident because I didn't let them visit the restroom.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 4, 2011

I have been trying to solve this problem for 20 years and my feelings have changed a bit. I error a bit on the side of allowing children to go. Like yourself, I usually allow 1 boy and 1 girl to go at a time. What I try to let students know there are certain times that they are NOT to go to the bathroom. This is the first few minutes of instruction of a subject and when I am reading aloud to them. Also the 1st 15 minutes of the day and the 1st 15 minutes after lunch. For 1st graders, you'd have to simplify this. I do then also treat a few people differently as the year goes on. The students that don't abuse it get more freedom. The 1, 2, or 3 that are constantly trying to get out of class, I start limiting it for them.

Usually you can't go wrong about being too strict, but with the bathroom you can be. A child who has to go to the bathroom who isn't allowed to go...that just isn't right or necessary. They can hold it a little while after asking, but I wouldn't make them too long.

Also, with 1st graders you MUST have bathroom breaks...you'll lose too much instructional time if you don't.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2011

Yes, this.

My stated policy is that kids can go when they need to unless I'm in the middle of teaching a lesson. One student at a time. Also, I reserve the right to say "ask me again in five minutes." This does two things. First of all, it teaches them to ask before their back teeth are floating. Second, the kids who use bathroom breaks just to get out of class will usually forget to ask again in five minutes.

If a student asks during a lesson, and has a sincere look of desperation (a look which takes many years of teaching experience to accurately recognize) I will allow them to go, and immediately say "______ can go, but anyone else who asks after them is a copycat and doesn't really have to go." Those with their hands up will put them down. They always look bewildered like "How did Mr. O know that I didn't really have to go to the bathroom."

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 5, 2011

Yup. Our P says its a waste of instructional time.

O...M…G! Sarge...I tried this today w/skepticism in my heart and it worked pretty well. Granted by afternoon I still had some fist nods(I counted 8 at one time) but the ask me ahain in 5 minutes worked well. Im not sure I will say the copycat part. I don't want someone who really has to pee to think they can't go b/c they are copying(though I may weed out the fakers...so maybe I will give it a shot),

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

I will NEVER tell a kid he can't go, and I teach high school.

But I will make it a less appealing proposition. For example: "Of course you can go... but you need to make up the time after school."

A kid who really has to go, will glady promise the time. A kid who can wait will frequently admit that he doesn't have to go THAT badly.

But I will always give them a deal that lets them go.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 5, 2011

Ooooo Alice ur a smart one! That makes sense. I can't hold kids after at my school, but I could make deals like "u have to make it up during center or recess time".

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 5, 2011

I always ask them if they can wait first if we're in the middle of something like whole class work but otherwise I usually let them go. I do have one student who has been abusing this and taking too much time and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that...

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Right. You don't have to count the minutes, just make it a little bit of a sacrifice. Once the other kids see that Johnny is sitting out even a little bit of recess, they'll get the point.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 5, 2011

I wouldn't recommend having them sacrifice their recess time at this age in this situation. Unlike in Alice's situation, the kids here don't get a bathroom break regularly as a group.

At this age parents wouldn't like it very much if their child missed recess for a natural bodily function that they have a harder time controlling anyways.

I think the answers are much more simple than that and have already been suggested. You need procedures. You need to teach those procedures. Certain times are not appropriate for them to ask to go. Other times are better. You need to develop phrases to help them understand these times. You also have to be a judge of when it is an emergency. If your lessons are short, as they should be at this age, then it shouldn't be a problem (most of the time). But again, you have to teach these procedures and reinforce them as consistently as possible.

18. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 5, 2011

This is the winner IMO.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Cut, I'm not suggesting missing recess, just getting benched for 2 or 3 minutes. While I don't teach elementary, I have more than a passing knowledge of the age group-- I would never suggest missing recess, even for somethign more serious.

Even when my kids stay, it's for a few short minutes. They're not in trouble for needing the bathroom, I'm just making a point.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

It takes some training, but kids can learn when 'acceptable' times to go are...I don't let kids leave the carpet while I'm teaching, I discourage it during reading workshop...snack time is good, when independent work is done, during lunch or recess, on the way to a special...Kids sign out in my room, so it's easy to identify the 'frequent fliers'

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2011

I don't find it acceptable to bench students for using the bathroom even for thirty seconds. They aren't afforded, after all, a group break. You shouldn't have to sacrifice anything to pee.

22. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

When I first started subbing I struggled with this, but it's gotten much better. First off, if they ask during a lesson, I will say "Can you wait 5 minutes Sweetie? I'm almost done talking." Usually they say "Sure." If they say "No, it's an emergency." I say, "Go ahead and go." If another students calls out "I have to go too," and then I hear "Me too!", then I will say, "I don't do copycat requests, you can wait." Then they give me that little smile, like oh, she figured out that I don't really have to go. If they throw a fit, I just say "Nope, you can go during our seat work, which will be very very soon." If they remember to ask once they get to their seats, then they really had to go. Sometimes if they seem like someone that just wants to play, I remind them that if they spend all their class time in the bathroom, then they won't get their assignment done, and will have to make up for that time during their recess, and that they need to go in the bathroom and actually use it. I've also found that since I've become less strict with letting students use the bathroom, that I've actually had them abuse going to the bathroom less. I'm a pretty firm substitute, such as I don't allow students to leave their chairs without permission, so the bathroom issue and my success with it is sort of surprising. I almost feel like students want to battle it out because it's a power struggle/control issue.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

For my sixth graders, I allow them one break in the morning, and one in the afternoon. They get to choose when they go, as long as I'm not directly teaching. They like having the opportunity to make their own decision.

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 6, 2011

My kiddos can go once before lunch and once after lunch. I teach them at the beginning of the year not to leave when I'm up front teaching. Otherwise they're free to go. If they have an "emergency" they ask permission and I let them go even if they've used up their bathroom trips. I have a few students who ALWAYS go when we start a test or a difficult assignment, but they don't abuse bathroom privileges for the most part and they always get the assignment done. Sometimes I'll notice that someone is gone a long time several times and it doesn't bother me unless we have to wait for them to finish an assignment. Sometimes I'll tell the class "No bathroom breaks until this assignment is finished, please." I ALWAYS honor "emergency" needs, though. I used to let it bother me, but now if a student abuses it, I simply take off however many minutes he's wasted of class time from his recess or PAT Time. I don't do that until and unless it becomes obviously habitual, though.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2011

Again, I agree it's not ideal.

So how do you handle it when nine kids ask to go to the bathroom?

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 6, 2011

We go as a whole group twice a day. We have a break mid morning so that makes it easy. Then we go when we come in from recess after lunch. Again, easy breaking point. My kids know that they can give me the bathroom sign anytime I am not teaching. If they just started an assignment, I say "You are welcome to go as soon as you have finished your assignment and I have looked over it." That way I am not ever denying anyone from going. If we are well into our workshop period, the child has completed the bulk of their assignment then they can go to the rest room provided that they do not abuse the privilege by staying too long. Anyone who stays too long, I quietly ask to come to me and then tell them... "You were gone an exceptionally long time. Since you abused the privilege of going quickly during classtime, next time don't ask me until ALL your work is completed." It works for me and has for years. Also, kids don't actually raise their hands and ask during our workshop time and I am meeting with small groups. The raise their hands and cross a finger with another finger. This allows me to make a decision about the timing and it does not interrupt the class if I send them the signal with 2 fingers in the air - meaning 2 minutes. It works. No whining. No accidents. But of course these are 3rd graders so they do have a little more control than a 1st grader. :) Happy Holiday!

27. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

In middle school and high school, it depends on what we are doing and whether the child is a frequent flyer or not. Normally, my default answer is "No". If it is an emergency, they will come ask again in just a few minutes. If it isn't they don't ask a second time. I normally do not ask "Can you wait a couple of minutes" because most of them will say "No, I can't wait. I gotta go now." But if I just tell them "No", they go sit back down and don't come ask again (if it wasn't an emergency).

As a sub, I've actually had some teachers leave notes saying "Do NOT let Johnny go to the bathroom during class." Ok, I guess Johnny is a frequent flyer. In that case, my first answer will always be "No".

Of course, this is middle and high school where the kids generally do have more control over the issue than first graders. I really like the idea of using stuffed animals to let the teacher know how many students are out and which ones. The stick and sign out/sign in work well too to establish a routine.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

Please just be aware, that for middle school and high school GIRLS they may not have a "few minutes" to wait to ask again.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

I understand. In 3 years, I've never had a student have an accident. If they really need to go, they will ask again. If they don't come back and ask again, they probably didn't need to go that bad to begin with.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2011

That you know of, right? Ever have a girl leave the room with a sweatshirt tied around her waist?

31. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 6, 2011

:yeahthat:

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2011

In regards to when you have nine kids ask to go to the bathroom...

well, I've taught kinder. So, you know how that can be.

In the beginning of the year, I STRESS the importance of going before school begins. I then STRESS the importance of going during recess time. Before they go out to recess, we will discuss the three things they need to do (get a drink of water, go to the bathroom, and run around and play).

During a lesson, if I have a kid raise their hand to ask to go to the bathroom, I will ask if it's an emergency or if they can wait until center time/seat work time/etc. If they say no, they gotta go, then I will say, then of course, go! But realize that you are missing VERY important information that will make your brain super big and smart. I will then go into how I want my kids to be super smart kinders with big brains so that when they go into the first grade, they will be super smart first graders. I RARELY ever seem to have a kid ask after the first kid asks. If they do, I also ask, is it an emergency or can it wait.

Now, when I taught fifth, it was less of a problem. I, of coures, discussed them going before school and during recess time. They also had times during the day that they can go without even asking me, they just had to grab the pass and place it on their desk. During the time I am actually teaching, I asked them to be respectful and try to wait until I was done.

However, I never flat out say no.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2011

Honestly, in my classes it isn't a problem. Most kids who ask, do so before the period begins. So I may have 2 or 3 missing at the bell, but by the time I'm done with attendance I have a full house. If someone needs to go during the period, they need just ask. (In fact, I've told them numerous times: if you NEED to leave the room, whether it's for the bathroom or a drink, do so. We'll sort it out when you return.)

But I understand that not all kids have the maturity of my sophomores.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2011

That has just never happened. It has happened that one student going "inspires" another, but it's never gotten out of hand. I say something like "Are we really going to start a potty train?" and that's the end of that. :)

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2011

What I got from Em's original post is there are no clear procedures for the bathroom. Not only does there need to be clear procedures but they need to be taught and reinforced. Em's previous experience was structured differently and likely having the P say they can go any time they want translated as if that meant no structure is allowed. I can see how one would get that interpretation and combine it with a new situation, the result is students just don't know what to do so they figure it out by trial and error. Part of that includes doing things they can get away with because kids do like to play and be social.

36. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

No, I haven't.

37. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

One idea I thought of for Em's class is to send the kids to the bathroom by tables or groups, if she has them divided that way. That way, she can still send the entire room down for a bathroom break, but they only go in groups of about 4-5 at a time. Since there will be a gender mix in the group, it will just look like a couple of boys and a couple of girls had to use the bathroom at the same time. I'm not sure how much "free study" or "independent study" the kids have at that level, but she could schedule this during a time when they wouldn't be missing any direct instructional time.

Just a thought.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2011

For what it's worth, when my 11 year old daughter and I had "the talk" she asked what she would do if she HAD to get to a bathroom and the teacher said no. (Sorry, amazing to me that an 11 year old has that to worry about.)

My directions were to tell the teacher she was going to throw up, and leave the room for the nurse's office.

If necessary, I would back her up 100% And rest assured, the conversation to follow between me and an administrator would not be a pleasant one.

39. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 6, 2011

WOW...so what procedures would you suggest I teach and reinforce so the students know what to do and are not figuring it out by trial and error?

I'm not sure if your school allows bathroom breaks for the entire class or not, but lets say they didn't, there is no bathroom in your classroom and you have 9 kids with their hand up at one time all wanting to go to the restroom while you are in the middle of teaching whole group.

What do you do?

40. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 6, 2011

That's a great idea. I'm going to try that tomorrow because it would be kinda like a bathroom break. I'm sure some kids will claim, "I don't have to go" but after doing this a few days, maybe their bodies will adapt to these unofficial bathroom breaks.

We don't have much free time, but the kids do do independent work during our reading block rotation.

Maybe right after recess when we come back in for water I can say, "Okay, get water and go to the bathroom if you need it"

Or while the kids are getting stuff from their lockers I can have them use the bathroom.

Just an FYI: Big Brother (or in this case, Big P) is ALWAYS watching...we have cameras all over the school. There are two in my hallway alone (one one each end)

The hallway cameras project in the P's and VP's office as well as behind the secretary's desk.

:eek:

41. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

Well, it's highly unlikely that ALL 9 have to actually go to the bathroom. So, start weeding them out. You can usually tell by the look on a child's face who urgently needs to go. I'd let the first one go and then tell them - you can go after Susie, you can go after Billy, you can go after Tommy, etc. Those that don't actually need to go will forget.

Explain to students the times they are allowed to go and then enforce that. If someone asks at an appropriate time, really praise how repsonsible they are.