Busy Work Assignments for Behavior Kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by passionateacher, May 27, 2011.

1. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 27, 2011

Let me start by saying: "Yes, I know...NO kids are bad kids. They deserve the same education as all the well-behaved kids...blah blah."

But I am fed up with the lackadaisical attitude from a few of mine. Today was awful, probably because it was my last day (maternity leave starts today yippee!:cool:). The BB (bad bunch, again I KNOW, how dare I say that) were all feeding off each other in plain sight, not even trying to hide most of it right in front of me. I have NEVER had a problem with management and each kid has their own plan based on what has worked all year. They were terrible for my ST but when she left, turned around and behaved for me. It HAS to be the fact I'm leaving and they felt I couldn't do anything about their bad behavior because they'll have a sub starting next week.

These few were SO disruptive I could not teach as much math as I wanted because I had to stop. They played, nudged, hit, threw little spit balls, refused to go back to their desks or sloooowwwly did while stepping on kids because they were mad (we were on the rug). It was ridiculous. I referred one for flipping off a class when I sent him to stand outside my door. They sent him back an hour later and he was AT IT AGAIN---no remorse whatsoever.

Ok I had to explain. If you still think I'm terrible for what I'm about to write, then that's fine but I'm not looking for that kind of advice. I'm going to make a notebook where each page is labeled with a task for the BB. I will leave info with my sub to explain that everyone gets a chance to behave and show they can listen/learn but IF/WHEN they start blurting out inappropriate comments and won't respond to the regular "move color down/sit in time-out/etc" they need to be sent from the room or to their desk with the Busy Work Notebook.

My question is WHAT TASKS SHOULD I WRITE AT THE TOPS OF THE PAGES IN THESE NOTEBOOKS? I was thinking tasks such as "Write your spelling words 3 times each" or "Put spelling words in ABC order and trace the vowels in red" or "Write 10 sentences you would do over if you had the chance" or "How will you do your best in 3rd grade?"

I need to have tasks for them to do if they're sent away from the activity the rest of the class is doing. So tasks for social studies (concepts: maps, past & present); math (measurement & elapsed time); writing (poetry or any writing is fine); reading (any grammar, comprehension, book report kind of tasks).

Yes I can print off worksheets but I was trying not to (save the trees).

And if you're wondering, YES the lessons they have been disruptive are engaging, fun, mostly involve partners but not always and they STILL act up and waste class time. I am sure it will only get worse when the sub comes as I've had a sub 2 weeks ago and she left their names...

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

Can they complete a similar activity at their desks that the other students are completing? Then you don't have to spend time make notebooks and copies.

Draw a map of your desk, a map of the classroom, a map from school to home. Do you have maps hanging in your classroom that they could reference or do they have a social studies book to reference for maps?

What time is it? What time did math start? How long have we been in math class so far? Estimate the measure of different objects around the room. How many hours and minutes until the end of school? How long have we been in school today?

What happened today to disrupt the learning in the classroom? What will you do differently in the future? Write a letter to the teacher telling them about what is on your mind, what you enjoy doing, what is going on at home.

Write ten sentences for a friend to correct. Ask different questions about the book you are reading aloud or the stories that they are reading in their basal or books that they are reading.

4. Toast

Toast Companion

May 27, 2011

The ones who really annoy me......... (I teach 3rd grade by the way)

Whatever the lesson is, any subject, I have the kids copy the chapter word for word from the textbook into a spiral notebook. They hate it. However, when I assign this, I usually kick them out with the textbook and notebook to a neighbor teacher's classroom.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 28, 2011

First off, I'm not here to judge! We've all had kids like the ones you're describing, so I understand where you're coming from.

Can you do a "teacher trade" with the kids who are causing problems? I am good friends with the upper grade teachers, so if I have a student who is being disruptive (or if one of the upper grade teachers has a student who is causing trouble) we'll send the student to the other classroom with their work and have them sit in there for the rest of the day. Let me tell ya--the 5th graders are soooo embarrassed when they have to sit in the little 2nd grade desks with my kiddos. Also, my 2nd graders are pretty intimidated when the 4th and 5th graders are laughing at them when they come in the classroom with their incomplete classwork.

A few weeks ago, I was reading a story to my kids on the rug. One of my students was having trouble sitting like a 2nd grader and wouldn't stop talking. I decided to call his Kindergarten teacher on the phone (her classroom is down the hall) and asked her if I could send him to her room so he could sit with her kiddos and re-lean how to sit like a student. She also had a talk with him about how disappoined she was with the choices he was making.

"Teacher Trades" are pretty common at my school. Sometimes, we just need a break from a particular kid!

6. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 28, 2011

We do the same thing at my school and it works wonders! I just send them to another teacher with a worksheet. Usually, it's just to a teacher across the hall for 15-20 minutes (enough to give the student, me, and the class a break). Sometimes, if it's really bad, I will send them to a primary classroom for the morning/afternoon. Typically, just getting one student out (usually the ringleader, but not always) is enough to calm the rest of the class down. I've also called home in the middle of class. Again, calling the most misbehaved student's parents first, and usually the rest of the class straightens up.

7. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 28, 2011

For math, we are learning measurement and all of the activities involve work like scavenger hunts around the room. So I can only give the BB a worksheet and ruler to measure things on the wksh at their desks. The other kids' sheets will be actual objects to go measure.

Also, if the BB is disruptive during the mini-lesson, they can't complete the activity that goes with it b/c they don't know what to do. They do it all wrong and finish in 2 minutes b/c they're just marking random answers out of frustration that I won't reteach them!

8. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 28, 2011

The "teacher trades" would work if it were earlier in the year and my teammates weren't burnt out with their own BB's. 2 of them are switching actual groups of kids just to calm their classes down for the last days of school. "Groups" as in 8-9 students they are trading with each other.

1 of mine I tried to send to kindergarten and he just refused to go. Testing was going on with upper grades so I couldn't bother admin with walking a kid down. I had to walk the kid down and force him by threatening to call home, just to make him physically walk in the K room. He literally just won't move when he's asked to take a chill out outside my door. Plus he was flipping kids off as they walked by when he finally DID sit outside my room.