Busy With Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DressageLady, Aug 14, 2013.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I had one interview this morning for a half-time kindergarten position right here in my own town. The interview went well. It was the P and the two other kindergarten teachers. The P told me that my interview was "good-very, very good". So I think I am a strong candidate. But nothing is a given, and so many variables are out of my hands entirely. If I looked or sounded too much like one of the interview committee member's witch of a neighbor, or if I remind the P of his ex-wife or if the other committee member had to pee really bad and resented me for taking too long with my answers. It really is a crap shoot.

But I was prepared. I have reflected on my other interviews, written down answers that I think are better than ones I might have given previously and just tried to think my way through the process in a systematic way. The good news is that I covered all the points I wanted to this time, and didn't have a "D'oh" moment in the car on my way home. I am improving in that regard.

I have another interview scheduled in 40 minutes, for a half-time 5th grade position. Same district as the kindergarten position, neighboring city.

Then I have an interview set up for a half-time tutor position tomorrow afternoon. That is in a public school about 25 minutes away. However, the drive in the winter will be difficult, since the road never gets plowed. I drive a Subaru that can handle just about anything, but I am not thrilled at the idea of driving that stretch in the dark, in the winter with ice and snow on the ground. But going to the interview will give me more experience (today's interviews are only my third and fourth, and tomorrow's will be my first parapro interview).

I have turned in my paperwork signifying my intent to sub in the same district I student taught in. And I have signed up to sub in another district. So I have Plan B firmly in place. I am working really hard on keeping everything in perspective and not letting my ego dictate my attitude.
    Sheilah

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Go get 'em!

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

Wonderful!!!!!! This is fantastic news! One of these is sure to pan out. :)

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Update

I went to my half-time fifth grade interview late this morning. The position is sharing the class with the other teacher who has taken a half-time assistant principal position at another school. They told me they had interviewed three people, including me, and I was the last one. The P said he was needing to make a decision today, because he wanted to be out of the office for the rest of the week.

After the interview I met with a friend for lunch. At some point during lunch the P called and left me a voice mail, asking me to call him back.

Since he hadn't given me the news in the voice mail, I figured he was going to offer me the position. I dithered and hemmed and hawed. I really, really think the kindergarten position is the best fit for me. But one in the hand is worth two in the bush. There are aspects of the fifth grade position that would be hard for me. Such as needing to find a place for myself in a room that is 100% owned by the other teacher I would be sharing the job with. That would be hard, especially as a first year teacher. How would I find my own voice if I was working in the shadow of someone else?

I was going to just duck returning the voice mail until tomorrow, hoping that I would hear from the other P before then. But I remembered that the fifth grade P mentioned he wanted to get it wrapped up today, so he could be out of the office until next week. So I called him back. I would accept the fifth grade position. After all, maybe after this year the other teacher would become the full time AP somewhere and I would have the class full time, right?

I was sad at saying good bye to the possibility of the perfect job by taking the fifth grade position, but the other one isn't a slam dunk.

So I called and the fifth grade P told me that they had decided to go with someone else. He said I was very impressive and I would be his first choice if something else opened up in his school, but that they needed to go with the candidate that the other fifth grade teacher felt the best connection with.

Although I was happy to hear these nice things said about me, I have to say I was shocked that he hadn't just left me a message on voice mail telling me their decision.

So I am waiting to hear from the other school. There were a lot of people interviewing for the kindergarten position. I think I did well, but who knows. And I have the parapro interview tomorrow.
    Sheilah

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2013

Sorry :(

I'm sure he wanted to speak with you to make it more personal since he did like you so much!

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Agreed!! I'm sorry :( I hope the K job or the parapro job works out!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 15, 2013

Yes, agreed. When it is a personal call, it's generally because you made a great impression, and they want to make sure they don't burn any bridges with you. :thumb: sorry it didn't work out.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

I'm sorry about the 5th grade position, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise and the kinder position will call soon with an offer. Good luck on your upcoming interview!

10. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

I heard from the kindergarten principal this morning and they decided to go with someone else. I am disappointed! But have gotten use to hearing "Thanks for interviewing, we enjoyed meeting with you. We have decided to go with one of the other candidates, and we wish you good luck in your job hunt".
    Sheilah

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

DressageLady~I am so sorry! You're job is out there!