Business Casual?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 19, 2009

I want to apply for a weekend job at a store. Their ad says to dress "business casual" for the interview. My husband is telling me I should wear something like a suit with black pants, a nice shirt and blazer/suit jacket. I think this is too formal. Any suggestions?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2009

What kind of store?

Generally, your husband's advice doesn't sound bad. It's slightly on the formal side of business casual, but not overly so. He's probably looking at it from a man's point of view, though, where if you're not in a business suit with a tie you're business casual.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 19, 2009

It is a women's clothing store. I think they sell all types of clothing. I figured a nice blouse and a nice pair of pants would be fine with some accents like jewelry and nice shoes, nails done, etc.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

I would add the jacket, you can always take it off if you get there and decide it is too much.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2009

There is nothing casual about a blazer or jacket to me. :)

I don't have a jacket, but chances are you probably do, so I suppose you could follow Blue's advice and wear it if only to remove it as you are greeted into the room.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2009

Even thgouh they said business casual, I'd dress in a full suit, just because it's an interview & you want to make a good first impression. If the weather was in the 90s, you definitely wouldn't need a jacket, just the blouse & skirt.

Good luck!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 19, 2009

The weather will probably be in the low 60s or high 50s so I guess I'd be wearing some kind of jacket anyway. It's not an actual "suit" jacket so maybe it's not too formal. I just don't want to look stuffy and overdressed. I'm assuming they really are trying to avoid people wearing jeans and t-shirts to the interview.
    Thanks guys :)

9. MarKus

MarKus Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

This is really helpful. Plus, if you have encountered being interviewed in a very cold office area, you will surely hoped that you'd brought your sweater/jacket with you..

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2009

I suspect that they have people interviewing in tacky, not appropriate clothes and this was the best they knew how to say, ummm show up appropriately for an interview without spelling it out. :) I doubt that being overly formal is as much of an issue as not being dressed up enough.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

I always try to dress one step above the expectation. When the decision is being made, I can hear them say, "but she was really dressed like she wanted the job."

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

JustMe, I have several blazers in my closet for such occasions. I would suspect you have something in your closet for such occasions. I am heavy, so look better with a jacket or cardiagan. But, I would love to look dressy in something less warm.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2009

No, I really don't. :huh:

I've never met an occasion for which I'd need a jacket of some sort.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 20, 2009

Thanks for all the replies. I went to the interview today wearing the jacket but wore a less formal blouse underneath so I didn't look too stuffy. I dressed better than the people who already worked there LOL I don't know if I'll get the job because I don't have any experience working in that type of store. I sure did look nice :)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2009

Crossing fingers for ya!

16. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

FYI, business casual means no suit, but a blazer is okay. Like non matching. Being over dress is good i guess, but so is following instruction.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 21, 2009

I don't own a suit so that wasn't a problem lol. I noticed the shirt I was wearing under the blazer was similiar to what the store sold. I'm glad I didn't wear the buttoned down collared one.