Business casual dress code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Gina foster, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Gina foster

Gina foster Guest

Jul 17, 2016

Hello. I will be a first year teacher. I got hired in a diffrent district then I did my student teaching. The dress was way more casual. The district is business casual where men must wear ties. I'm female. I'm at loss of what's not appropriate and what it. I skinny pant that are the twill material , but I don't know if that will go with the new district.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 17, 2016

I wouldn't wear skinny pants in a business casual environment. They are too casual.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 17, 2016

Plan on overdressing until you've gotten a solid feel for what's allowed and what isn't allowed.

The idea of requiring men to wear ties though... Ugh. God forbid I ever have THAT requirement.

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

All but one of the schools I went to had that requirement Monday to Thursday.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

I'm a dude so my dress code is simpler. I do wear khaki pants, button down shirt, and a tie every day. I have had to resort to athletic shoes. One year I got stress fractures in my foot from dress shoes. So I wear a pair of black leather Nike Shoxx. My wife made fun of me when I wore all white shoes to work.(said looked like Forrest Gump)

7. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

I agree with gr3teacher, overdress until you see what works.. If the men are required to wear ties though, I would be prepared to stick with dress pants/skirts to the knee, collared shirts, cardigans/dress jackets, etc. Definitely no skinny pants...

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 17, 2016

The skinny pant may be fine as long as the tip comes down to mid thigh. Skinny pant and legging/jeggings are all the same to me. The dressier top that covers everything that needs covering is pretty standard business casual dress. Most is common sense - no sheer tops, no spaghetti straps, no skirts above the top of the knee, no denim, no trademarks/logos, no 3" heels, and no clothes that are too tight. That leaves a lot to choose from. Depending on the grade, dresses that allow you to move comfortably and remain modest are fine. My work clothes consist of dress pants, of similar colors, which makes them easy to interchange with tons of 3/4 sleeve tops, which I usually top with a shrug, sweater, blazer, or open front cover. Mix and match is my mantra. I steer clear of lighter khaki because of getting markers and pen on them, so not too surprisingly, most are darker brown, black/gray, and navy. I do have a couple of denim dress trousers that I wear for the designated spirit days, if I happen to remember them. You have been given good advice - overdress if in doubt until you understand the school culture.