Business Attire & Interview

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by P Chang, Oct 20, 2014.

1. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 20, 2014

I'm interested in working as a substitute teacher and contacted the agency contracted to provide substitute teachers to all the public schools in my county. I've heard back from the agency and have to go to their office to complete the application, give them the required documents, and be fingerprinted. Following that, I will be interviewed.

The email I received from them mentioned an "Informal Meeting" and an "Orientation Session" and states "business attire" is required for both those…and they put "business attire" in bold print. I'm guessing business attire will be required (or at least a good idea) for the interview as well.

So, first question…what is "business attire?" I know that's probably a dumb question for many of you, but I'm seriously not sure. Would slacks, a button-down shirt, dress shoes, and a tie be considered "business attire?" Or is "business attire" a suit? Either way, I don't own slacks, a suit, or even a button-down dress shirt, so it looks like a shopping excursion will be forthcoming.

Second question…what sort of interview questions should I expect? I've seen a thread on here containing questions teachers should expect to be asked of them in an interview, but would those same questions apply to a substitute teacher?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2014

This is fine! :thumb:

4. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 21, 2014

Thx for the reply…am glad it's not a suit!

Edit: Ended up with a suit after all. :lol:

5. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Went shopping for *business attire* today.

I ended up with a two-piece, single-breasted, summer-weight suit in dark grey. It's a slim-fit suit, as is the shirt I also bought. Not wanting a boring white shirt, I chose a very light lavender one, which looks better behind the grey of the suit. I probably look more like a powerbroker than a teacher, but I don't suppose there's any harm in dressing more modern. Or do people expect teachers to look dull and boring?

At any rate, it will get me through the interview. If I get the job, then I'll do some further shopping to round out the new wardrobe I'll need, and have needed for quite sometime actually.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

I think it'll be great! It's ALWAYS better to overdress than to be underdressed.