Bus Issues....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SwOcean Gal, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

I have a pretty well behaved kindergarten class, but once they get on the bus it is like they are a whole different group! I am getting complaints about biting, spiting, hitting, jumping and everything else on the bus. This information gets told to me and I am expected to do something about it- what, I have no idea. I am not on the bus. None of these issues are happening in my classroom. It is two students in particular- yes, they can be difficult, but they are only in K and they really aren't much of a problem except on the bus. I have done bus safety lessons for three days in a row! What more can I do? We talk about it every day, we even had a "bus" in the classroom where we got on the bus and practiced our best bus manners. I sent home papers to families about bus safety and bus manners. I am getting parent phone calls- I do not know what else to do. I have talked to the P, but nothing is being done. Why am I in charge of the bus problems? I do not know, but I need some advice- have any of you had these problems? What do you do? What more can I do? I think the bus driver needs to be firm and handle it or the the school needs to step up. The bus company could even have bus tickets and once the student is given three tickets he loses his bus privilege or something! What am I missing? Everyday when those buses pull up I dread it because I know I am going to be told something awful that happened that they want me to take care of, but honestly it was not under my watch, I was not there, I did not see it, it already happened and apparently no consequence was given- then I am supposed to be the disciplinarian? I do not get it, I need help! What should I do?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2010

I would direct their calls to the transportation department! I would say something like, "I am so sorry to hear that! I can give you the number to transportation..."

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2010

I do not envy the job of school bus driver. Not only do they have to control a group of 30-60 kids-at the end of the day-they have to do it while driving a 12 ton vehicle.

At the end of the day; however, it's the bus driver's responsibility to maintain the safety of their bus. If a particular driver is having issues, then that needs to be addressed with transportation. There's very little the classroom teacher can do once the students are out of her supervision.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

I totally agree, but ridiculously it still seems to land on me. Luckily, this is my only stress-or thus far, but it is definitely bringing stress.

I do not see how it is my responsibility- yes, it is good to teach them manners and safety, but disciplining them for something that happened outside of my classroom... I talk to them and discuss, but I do not discipline. That needs to be taken care of then and there- being given a bad report day after day is disheartening.

6. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 23, 2010

When my oldest kids were little the drivers issued bus cards for inappropriate behavior. At times kids would be suspended from the bus. Now the principal handles issues although she does bring issues to my attention. Personally, I think the drivers need to get stricter with the rules. Kids seem to think that bus time is a free for all!

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 25, 2010

One thing that worked in my previous school was having a "good bus behavior" contest. All bus drivers were given a certain number of behavior cards per day, and they handed them out to the students who were behaving well as they were exiting the bus. At the end of the month, there was a raffle for a big prize. However, there was no Kindergarten in that school (only first-fifth were part of this), so you would have to adapt it. Maybe have the students save their cards in a special place in school, and when they have a designated number, they get a prize/treat?

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

That is a good idea- I really like it because it is something I could do and I could involve the bus driver and let the bus driver know we are working on it- as it stands now the bus driver does not know anything I have been doing in class- even though all last week was devoted to bus safety and bus manners.

If I get any complaints this week- that is what I will be doing. Thanks for the idea!

9. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Honestly, I would suggest to the bus driver that he/she take it up with administration. Our drivers can and do write office referrals for problem behaviors, and the repeat offenders can and do get their bus PRIVILEGES (a bus ride is a privilege, not a right) suspended. Our classroom teachers have little to do with the process.

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

Even in K? Some kindergartners get suspended from the bus?

I do not know why, but the office will not deal with it, they just tell me and have me deal with it. I am hoping that now I have done roughly a week long unit on bus safety and bus manners that I am done- I do not want to hear about the bus anymore. I have done my part! ugh!

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

If they act up and their parents don't get them in line, yes, they can get suspended from the bus. It's a safety issue for everyone on the bus. But it's normally the older kids causing problems.

You've done what you can. Refer the bus drivers and the parents to the transportation office or to your administrators. Short of riding the bus with them every day, what else can you do?