Bus Activity?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by october, Oct 6, 2004.

1. october

october Rookie

Oct 6, 2004

Ok, I will be on a bus with approximately 50 fifth graders for about 5 hours total Friday. What can I do with my students to ensure my sanity?! I had thought about reading to them, but. . . . Any ideas? Thanks.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2004

1. Go without them.
    2. Wear ear plugs
    3. super glue them to their seats.
    4.super glue their lips together
    5. Ride in a side car attached to the bus.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I have no idea what to do with 5th. graders on a bus. I teach preschool and that's crazy enough! WE are going to the pumpkin patch tomorrow (30 of us) AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

4. october

october Rookie

Oct 6, 2004

Truthfully, I have had those thoughts myself! Duct tape has also been running through my mind! :)

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2004

yes, definately duct tape..very useful...heheheeee

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 6, 2004

DUCT TAPE... NEVER leave home without it! LOL I'm the duct tape queen at my school!

I thought of the earplugs, too! Grammy, we think tooooooooooo much alike!!

Read to them? I couldn't do it. I'd be sick as a dog within less than 5 minutes and the other 4 hours and 55 minutes I'd be useless! Sing songs... those goofy campfire songs... I'm sure they know some from camp.

Lori

7. Jeri Dawn M

Jeri Dawn M Rookie

Oct 6, 2004

Alphabet game (who can spot all the letters of the alphabet on road signs, liscense plates, etc.)

GHOST: The point is not to be the person who spells a word. One person starts a word (not to be said aloud) with any given letter of the alphabet, the next person adds a letter (perhaps they are thinking of a different word), each person adds a letter until either the next person challenges or a word is spelled. When someone challenges, the person who went last has to reveal the word they were thinking of. If it's not a real word they lose. Everytime you lose a round you are a letter of GHOST (like HORSE in basketball). Modify it, use it with a few kids, or don't use it at all!

Repition songs--The other day (kids repeat: the other day), I saw a bear (kids repeat: I saw a bear), etc...

Make a page with all the states listed, the first kid to see liscense plates from 10 or 20 or 30 states wins a candy bar.

Tell ghost stories in honor of halloween.

Start a story round in which each kids has to add on (establish some rules first please!)

Hand out clip boards and cross words or other puzzles or brain teasers. Fifth graders love brain teasers!

Good luck. Are they allowed to bring walkmans or discmans?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2004

Some buses have VCRs (check if yours does- its a life saver for such a long trip!!)

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2004

Lori,
    The thing about me is, I pretty much think everything is funny.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 7, 2004

Every spring I used to take my 8th graders on a loooong bus trip up to the 'big city' to a dinner theatre. For most of the trip up, I let them play euchre (no gambling) talk with each other (no loud voices) or just sit back and listen to their cd players with headphones. It's the trip back home that occasionally got tricky, because it was dark then, and 8th graders are full of hormones. And when I say, 'full of hormones,' I mean FULL. Unless you've been around them a lot, you would not believe it. In fact, I'd tell you what our biggest problem was in 8th grade in our building these past four or five years, but it involves something I just can't bring myself to type out.

Back to the topic, though. . . .

So, on the trip home, with the lights on, we would play Mad Libs, MTV trivia, and sing along with Kareoke tapes. Middle School kids love Kareoke.

You can get all the Kareoke you could possibly want in a lifetime, on Ebay for cheap. I'm a big Ebay fan.

Just be sure you check out the lyrics carefully, beforehand.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2004

I use to love mad libs. How about the old stand by telephone, say something and see if it comes out the same.

Could you send home a note asking parents for ideas? Coloring something fall like on the bus. I know I can't read, but I can color when I'm in a vehicle.

What if you had a white board that they could hold and do something like win, lose or draw?

12. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 7, 2004

Another idea that would have to be planned well before hand is to have them make their own travel games using cereal boxes with one of the big sides cut out for the board. (I saw that on a box of cereal once, I think). Or you could always go to one of those everything's a dollar type stores and get some travel games.

13. october

october Rookie

Oct 7, 2004

Thanks Everyone

Thank you all for the great ideas. Oh how I wish the buses around here had VCR's!! I will be lucky if it has a tape or CD player. My kids like to sing, so I know we will be doing a lot of that. I am going to type out all your suggestions and give them a try tomorrow.
    Thanks again!

14. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Oct 7, 2004

We went on a three day field trip with all our grades 5/6 this monday-wednesday.

We did a lot of singing on the bus and at the camp.

On the bus we sang "99 bottles of beer" (the kids decided on this song, there was no saying no), and several camp songs "there aint no flies on us", "the order of the fork". at camp we sang "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly", and "there was a moose". Oh and you can't forget "this is the song that never ends!"

Could I also suggest that maybe the kids could sleep? Especially on the ride home, they'll probably be exhausted, several of my kids fell asleep, and we have pictures to prove it.

Do you have a digital camera? Give the kids a list of things to spot on the ride, and you can take pictures of the things they spot, sort of like a scavenger hunt. I assume there will be two or three buses to hold all the students and their supplies, so maybe the buses could be in competition to see which bus spots more of the things on the list.

15. october

october Rookie

Oct 8, 2004

Well, I am finally back. We started out with two buses, but ended up with one bus for ALL of the kids and supplies. One of the bus drivers started weavign all over the road and falling asleep as we drove down the road. We ended up putting them all on the same bus! I had to sit in the floor! Needless to say, the activities went out the window. I am completely exhausted. Maybe I will try those activities next time, if there is a next time! :(