burned out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tinadog, May 22, 2009.

1. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

May 22, 2009

I'm retiring early. The last two years teaching self-contained fifth with monthly testing, disrespectful students, and open design (no walls and no doors!) has done me in. I will miss these forums. Thank you everyone for all the ideas and support.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2009

Hugs and sympathy, tinadog.

If you decided to keep participating here after retirement, you wouldn't be the only one to do so.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2009

I agree with TG.

Why not continue to participate here? Lots of newbies could benefit from your experience.

I don't suppose you could reconsider retirement, and simply switch to another school? Perhaps a more traditional Catholic school for example?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 23, 2009

Once a teacher, always a teacher. Don't stay away.

It sure does sound like you have earned plenty of rest and lots of time to yourself, though. Open classroom? Yuk.

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 23, 2009

I agree, even if you aren't actively teaching, please stay on here or consider it, we all can benefit from your experience.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

Aw! I am sorry it's been a rough two years. Do you plan on retiring with the finish of this school year?

8. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 23, 2009

I taught 5th grade for the last two years and am leaving it to teach 3rd grade this upcoming year. 5th grade is just not the right grade level for me and I can safely say that after teaching it for the past two years. Have you thought about moving to another grade level? Perhaps you'll be much happier with a different age group. I loved 4th grade, which I taught for four years, and am hoping to love 3rd grade just as much. I am a firm believer that everyone is meant to teach a certain grade level and sometimes it takes some time to figure out which one. Best of luck!