Burned out. Do I need to quit?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by fairfax, Apr 10, 2007.

1. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

I'm at a low SES school in a wonderful district. I don't care for the administration at our school (cold, not too supportive), and the turnover rate is quite high with staff. My team changes every year and the administration has also changed every year I've been there (3 years). This is my only school to teach at, and prior to teaching I worked in the "real world" for 3-4 years. I teach 3rd grade.

Half of my class is below level, 1/3 are ESL, 3 are SpEd, and 5 are major behavior problems. I am worn out each day and have come to really despise my job, and sadly, much of the time, dislike nearly half of my class.

The passion for what I do is gone... I'm overwhelmed by all of the daily planning, grading, gathering, creating, meetings, trainings.... I miss adult interaction, and I miss being around men (I am single, 29).

I am trying to transfer out of my school into one of the better schools in the district... I have had 2 interviews with wonderful principals and amazing schools.

However, after this last interview, I just don't know if I have the energy or desire or passion to teach anymore. It wears me out to think of moving into a new classroom, learning the new schools' ways.

My parents (who paid for me to go back and get my certification) told me I should try another school for a year and see how I feel then. Co-workers of mine agree.

Honestly, I'm tired of working my tail off for nothing. No appreciation from parents, administration, and especially not my kids who treat me poorly all week.

And I'm not a bad teacher - most teachers at my school, especially on my team, feel like this too.

I just need advice. I feel crummy after this last interview, speaking with a very excited and passionate principal and team leader who loved their school and just feeling like "Who Cares?".

Any thoughts?

3. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Apr 10, 2007

Maybe you're just in a slump. A change of environment could be just what you need. A good administration can really make a huge difference. I hope things get better for you!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 10, 2007

Can you take a leave for a year with no consequences?

5. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

Fairfax, I can completely relate! I too have several ESL students, behavior students, one who came from an intensive support room & has no aide, as well as Title I students. This is just my first year of teaching and I'm ready to quit! I love working with students, but feel that smaller group situations would suit my personality better. Perhaps a new school situation would inspire you again, or a year off to try something else? Just my thoughts!:)

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 10, 2007

Try taking a year off to sub. Explore other opportunities. See how you feel.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2007

I say give a new school a shot. You may rediscover some of what prompted you to teach in the first place.

If you stil hate it even in a good school, at least you'll know it was the career, not the school. You won't ever look back and wonder.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2007

I say don't quit, recharge. Hopefully you will get into a better district and your desire will return. As for no appreciation from parents, administrators, etc, that can be hard to come by in any school.

Teaching well is overwhelming, but you have to think about your reasons for doing it in the first place. If you still feel like your in the wrong place, then by all means... look in another field. There's nothing wrong with that. Be true to yourself.

Good Luck.

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 10, 2007

I think that being at a new school can make a HUGE difference, and with new administrators you may feel more supported, receive better resources in the classroom, and so on.

Have you considered a change in grade level? Perhaps that might help as well.

Best of luck... and please post when you decide or find out more after interviews are done.

10. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Apr 10, 2007

i would definatley see if you could get in another school. i bet its totally frustrating to be in that kind of environment without a supportive administration. give it another year before you make a decision.

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 10, 2007

Find a better environment before you get totally burnt out.

Do you still remember why you wanted to teach in the first place?
    If that's still there, then maybe you just need to find the setting.