BURN OUT

Discussion in 'General Education' started by countrygal, Nov 18, 2008.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

I used to love teaching. Now I absolutely hate it. I have taught first grade for four years. I switched schools this past year. It is more of an inner city school. The kids are a little different, but it isn't the kids. I dread coming to work everyday. I am now a "tenured" teacher, but I just am not passionate about teaching the way I used to be. I feel completely give out. Its like all day long these kids just constantly "need" something. Its hard to give and give and give all day long. I can't seem to motivate them despite all efforts. If it requires them to do anything other than sleep or eat, I can forget it. What drives me really crazy is that some of these kids are smart. I have tried different things to challenge them like creating a classroom newspaper, using the computer, and above and beyond. I am sick of going above and beyond when it gets me the same results. I love kids, but I think I am just over teaching. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to fill like a failure in the middle of this and right now I do.

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 18, 2008

Been there...struggling with it a bit this year, too...the expectations are so high, and it seems that the more responsible we adults get, the less responsible the kids are becoming...
    Any chance you could find a clinic or conference to take a few days off and go to? Find a way to organize and streamline your classroom procedures? Harry Wong's Book "The First Days of School" discusses this well. Any way to make it less of a "teacher dog and pony show", so you can still give the opportunity to learn without burning yourself out? Nothing wrong with a few well written worksheets for quiet seatwork practice once in a while. "The First Days of School" section D, is great, where he says that not the teacher, but the student, is the one who is supposed to be working and learning and tired at the end of the day?
    I feel for you...hang in there...

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

Have you felt like this all year? I'm totally in burn-out mode at the moment. I laid in bed this morning, thinking about how much I really, really, really did not want to come to work. I just need some time off to re-energize and get back to me for a while. I'm thinking I'll be up and back at it in January.

It's my fifth year of teaching, and I can def. tell I'm not as high-energy about it as I use to be. I'm trying to decide if that's a personal issue, or because this administration is so uber-down on my ideas. Either way, I'll be changing things up for next year job wise.

5. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

No, I started off really excited, but little by little it is eating at me. Getting away would be nice! I do have the Harry Wong book. Jem, I know what you mean. I don't want to get out of bed. Its a dread! I want to spend as little time as possible at the school. We all know that teaching is not an 8 to 3, five days per week job. Whoever said that is totally insane!
    I will take your suggestion, CindyBlue, and revisit it. Teaching seems to be getting harder and harder every year. I'm trying to hang in there. I did start looking into going back to school. A break really sounds wonderful...Just hanging in there. Just trying to survive.

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 18, 2008

I'll be thinking about you, and sending good thoughts...
    Sometimes I visit a good bookstore after school and sit in the education section and read all the books there, just gleaning bits of stuff for classroom procedures and discipline and other hints...
    And I'm glad you're here on A to Z...I can't tell you how good this forum has been for me...when I'm really down, I can get on here and discover that I'm not alone, that many other teachers have gone or are going through the same things I am...makes me feel better to know that someone else is in the same boat, and may have some advice for me!

7. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

Thanks CindyBlue. That is very encouraging! I needed that today!

8. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

How are you doing...?

9. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

countrygal--I agree! I'm just so tired. Lesson planning, co-teaching, IEPs, meetings, meetings, e-mails, lesson planning, grading, and student apathy . . .

It wears one down.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

It sounds like you like teaching, but hate your new school.

11. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Nov 20, 2008

I am tired. Just trying to keep my head above water right now. Hoping Thanksgiving break will do me some good. Thank you for your concern.

12. msj5ny

msj5ny Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

I know I'm late...but just wanted to add that I'm a member of the Burn Out club too.....

Student apathy is definitely a factor for me....I need to motivate the masses, but first I need some motivation......among other things....:help:

13. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

Definitely check into Power Teaching. The method has completely revitalized me after 15 years with a lot of the same challenges you are fighting. I am now a better teacher than ever and I love teaching again!