Burn Out

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Jul 5, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Has anyone had burn out while job searching? I am feeling burned out and tired. I have been working relentlessly for the past two months applying and looking for a teaching job. I have not had any interviews yet and worn out from the process. What do you do when that happens?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

2 months is not a long search. There are members here who have been on the job hunt for a year or more. Some things you could do include:
    Post your resume and cover here for tweaking
    Research charter and private schools in your area...apply to all of those within a reasonable commuting distance even if they not have jobs posted
    Make a brochure on Vistaprint to include with your mailings
    Get on subbing lists
    Do some summer tutoring

Do something every day...mail out a half dozen packages, follow up with emails to schools that already have your package.

THEN...do something fun. Read a good book. Make some lemonade. Call a friend and watch a movie. Paint your nails. It's your job to look for a job right now, but give yourself a bit of a break ever day to have some fun.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 5, 2011

Hi. Speaking of burn out... I have a friend that student taught 3 years ago. She has subbed for two years and has sent out more resumes than you can imagine. She has interviewed for positions only to lose them to someone with more experience. It has been heartbreaking to watch her resolve and determination break down. It is hard for her to be around others who are teaching, and in this economy it has come down to her needing a decent paying job so that she can survive without her parents help. I know how you feel. I see how devastating the effects of not finding a position can be. I have always been so positive and upbeat about the job hunt. But after the first year, her resolve to find a position was so down after not being offered a position (after two years of subbing) to prove herself in her district of choice. It is mostly due to the economy, I know. :(

All I can say is keep plugging and make yourself as marketable as possible. I hate to say it, but this year, my friend is putting very little into the effort of looking for a job and opting to see what other fields she can fit into. Keep up your spirits. As you can see from this board, people are hiring. You just cannot be as picky as my friend has been in her job search perimeter. She has put all her eggs in a three district basket and has only subbed at one of the districts. You have to be willing to drive a little or a lot to get that first job, gain experience, and then when the economy improves, land the job you wanted in your own backyard. Wishing you luck! I know that people can get jobs. :cool:

I also have a friend who moved from Washington State to Texas and landed a job after her FIRST interview. There are jobs to be had. You just need to go out and be willing to look everywhere and do the hard stuff. My friend got that interview by hitting the pavement and knocking on the doors of principals with her resume in hand!!! It is tough. But it is so worth the extra efforts.:thumb:

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 5, 2011

Two months is really not that long. I know it feels long but its not. It took me a year! Something that really helped me was to keep a regular schedule ie getting up at the same time everyday. My schedule pretty much looked like this:
    1) Get up
    2) Run/Exercise Tape
    3) Shower/Dress to laces
    4) Breakfast
    5) Job Hunting (2 hours/day)
    6) Daily Chores
    7) Check job boards
    8) Do something non-work related

The point is that I treated it like a job. If there were no postings, I was reading up on interview questions, making phone calls, visiting schools with resumes. There is no shame in telling people that you are looking for a position. I never had anyone look down their noses at me. In fact, people went out of their way to try to introduce me to admins, tell me about postings, put a good word in etc.

6. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Last year when I was job hunting I started in January (when private schools started posting) and didn't land a job until the last week in September. I applied to 100 districts (literally 100), went to 10 job fairss, and 10 interviews around the state before I was offered a position. Plus, I had searched the year before for an internship to no avail and had to take an extra year on my masters to student teach. The market in Texas is tough right now, but after reading these boards for the last few years I realized that we are much better off than some states where people search for years or get laid off every year.

Be positive about your job search! If you don't think it's worthwhile then you won't put your full effort into it. I'm not sure where in Texas you are, but apply everywhere. There are lots of districts and I've found that it has been the smaller ones that have been doing more hiring this year. Also, teachers have until 45 days to get out of contracts, which means many openings will come up in the next few weeks. Keep looking and apply everywhere. One thing I started doing last year was creating a spreadsheet in google documents of all of the schools that had openings or I had applied to. I kept track of where I had applied and needed to apply. I then check every district's job postings daily during the week to check for new openings. I color code the spreadsheet so I can see all of the districts with openings green so that I can easily see that there are in fact jobs open. This kept my job search organized, which has come in handy this year because I can look back at last year's spreadsheet to see where I applied and update my applications rather than starting all over.

Sorry for making this exceedingly long, but getting a teaching job isn't easy and it shouldn't be. The right job will open up. I was pretty miserable this year because of bad admin, but my team was amazing and I learned MUCH MORE than I did in school or student teaching. You just have to keep trying. Plus if school starts and you haven't been hire yet, don't freak out! Lots of schools will have to hire based on enrollment (I saw one elementary last year that hired 8 new teachers - one for each grade plus 3 for kinder).

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

I think that the best thing you can do to get out of the burn out feeling is planning. Keep yourself busy with other things--work out, take a class, go on vacation. Really anything to get your mind of the waiting.

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

:agreed:

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Thanks for the info everyone. I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong to not hear anything back yet. I will keep working on it.

I am in the Austin area and yes I have been applying to districts that are up to an hour and a half away from me. Yes I have turned in resumes to campuses I am able to go to in person. I have a spreadsheet as well tracking where I apply to and follow up with as well.

I start grad school next month. I am working part time while looking. This is just a job search I am not used to. I think that is where I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

It's good to have other things going on while you interview. It is a hard process and may take months before you land a position.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

This forum is great at providing feedback for your cover letter and resume. I highly recommend that you take advantage of this. :)

12. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 5, 2011

I might post my resume and cover letter in the next day or two. It seems as if a lot of districts around here are on break for the next week or two. Is that typical after the 4th of July?

13. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 5, 2011

^^Yes that's typical. Our admin offices won't be back until the 18th. So even MORE waiting for me...

14. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

I have also been applying to other jobs that interest me, outside of the education field, when I see them online. You never know!

15. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jul 5, 2011

I'm feeling exactly the same way, and I've been applying as long as you have. I HATE the application process with a passion. It takes forever to apply for a single job, and I can't help but feel like it's not even going to be worth it!!!

16. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

All I can say is don't give up hope. After 3 years of searching, I landed a teaching job for one year only to be laid off. Now I'm searching again, so I understand your frustration. I'm optimistic that things will turn around in education, and there will be jobs for everyone.

17. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

I feel your pain! Sometimes when I get overwhelmed with the job search, I pull out some of my college things that help me remember why I want to teach. I look through some of the cards that my students wrote me during student teaching, and I read over my philosophy of teaching. It helps remind me that this is what I want to do with my life, and it helps to motivate me to go through that application process one more time. I know that I will eventually get hired somewhere, someday. And when someone finally takes a chance on us, they are going to get great teachers! ;)

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 5, 2011

I am feeling that way myself today. I know part of it is PMS, but part of it is the realization that there is nothing out there within commuting distance for me right now. I am waiting for a position to be advertised in a nearby town. A principal I interviewed with last month told me about it. But it is not listed yet, and the principal with the opening has not answered my email. I know it is prob. b/c of the holiday week, but it's hard to wait.

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, and I will take my laptop with me in order to stay up to date with my online apps, but I'm definitely going to be taking a break and just relaxing for a few days.

If I were you, I would take a day OFF to renew yourself. The perfect job is not going to materialize and then disappear in one day. Try to forget about looking for a job just for one day. And get a good night's sleep. Job-hunting is exhausting. I swear it is harder than teaching! And I'm really not joking! :)

19. Rosebud9802

Rosebud9802 Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

My advice is to NEVER GIVE UP!! I have personally been searching for a teaching job for fourteen months, have sent out hundreds of applications, and had fifteen interviews. I know how you feel about 'burning out', but if you are truly dedicated to the education field, you will continue to apply for jobs and think positive that maybe that one application will be the job you get.

Best wishes to you :)

20. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I will continue to look, but I did have an opportunity come up today for a full time position that starts in August so I threw my hat into that one as well just in case.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2011

SMART Move! If you get the call, you can always send a thanks but no thanks note.:)