Bummer

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by missythemom, Jan 9, 2012.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

I just got a call at 10am to see if I could go in for this afternoon and I had to turn it down because my 9 yr old dd has a doctor appointment this afternoon that was already reschedule once. I wish I could just reschedule again but it would take another month to get her back in so I had to turn down the job, but I did make sure to mention that I am available for the rest of the week so hopefully I get another call. I just hate saying no, I always feel like I let them down even if it is a valid reason why I can't do it. Now I will be feeling kinda bummed all day :( Here's hoping I get a call tomorrow...

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 9, 2012

Don't feel bad. Unexpected things come up that prevent people from taking jobs all the time. I think you did the right thing by letting them know you are available for the rest of the week. I usually said the same thing when I subbed and I was always called later that week.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2012

It is a bummer but schools understand. If things didn't come up, we wouldn't need subs!

5. snapples

snapples Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

I know exactly how you feel. Today I had to turn down a job for a teacher I really like because I was subbing for someone else, and even though I would have preferred to sub for her I was already committed to the other teacher. I did the same thing as you and make sure to emphasize my availability for the rest of the month. I wish I could always be available for all the jobs!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2012

Your child is your priority. You'll get called back.:hugs:

7. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

Thanks guys :)

8. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Jan 15, 2012

I like the comment 'your child is your priority.' There is one thing I have learned this far in life and that is that everyone does what is best for them. Don't sell your family short for a school. Especially without a contract. You will be let down when you realize what you gave up for your family and they don't stand by you. Too many years did I do home daycare to fall for this with the schools.

9. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Thanks Nitch, I totally agree that my family should come first, I just seem to have a wicked complex about saying "no" I guess lol :) It is good to have you guys here to help me keep things in perspective, so thanks again everyone!