bummed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Jun 5, 2012.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

I am so down right now. I just found out via my student teaching mentor teacher that they filled positions at the school. I don't know if they were internal or people from the outside, but I really felt that was my best shot at landing a job. I didn't even get an interview. Maybe I will never get a job. After all, I'm in a state where it's incredibly difficult to even get an interview anywhere. I'm just bummed and wanted to vent.

3. Lessa99

Lessa99 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

Hey acl, I can completely relate! I'm at a school as a Para right now, and they had 2 openings and I didn't even get an interview! Now I didn't have the license they wanted, but expressed that I would take summer course work if they would consider writing a variance. There is another para who also has a license and he did get an interview, just not the job!

It is so incredibly difficult to stay positive! Sometimes I feel like my decision to become an educator was wrong because I often think that no school will ever give me a chance! Thats all I want is a chance to prove to a school that I will be the best hire they will ever make, but I'm just not sure what I can do...

4. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

Don't get down on yourself. It's extremely difficult to get a classroom right out of college. A lot of teachers that I have talked to either had to sub, become a para, or work as a reading/intervention/Title I teacher. It's a long road for most to get a classroom, so do not give up and try to get into a school any way you can!

I was bummed when I was only able to get a para job after my internship. Then a month into the year I was moved up to a Title I reading teacher and now am going to have my own classroom in the fall at another school.

This is only one school and years from now you will look back and laugh that you were worried about one school. I know it's tough, but you will get there!!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

It's not as easy to get a job out of a student teaching placement as people think. Don't let it get you down, though. Start putting together your resume, write a stellar cover letter, and get yourself out there. Apply, apply, apply.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 5, 2012

Also, if you are young and single, think about relocating...those of us who have children and mortgages are tied to a one-hour radius of our homes. Think about it-- your range is enormous! Keep looking and take any kind if experience you can get. The numbers do not support everyone getting a job their first year out. It doesn't even matter how good you are...there are not enough jobs. Keep looking and do whatever you can to add to your resume. Good luck!

7. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the feedback. Sadly, for me at least, it is probably now or never. I am in my late 30s. This would have been a second career for me. I have been a journalist for more than 15 years. I have three kids so relocating is not an option for me. Also, because I have three kids and a mortgage, I cannot afford to sub or take a parapro job. I'm still working as a reporter currently. It's my fault alone since I knew the job market was tough when I chose to go back to school in 2005 (took me a bit to get my certificate because of work/family). I guess I just thought that things had to get better at some point. They got worse as we all know when the economy tanked in 2008. I apologize if it sounds like I have my tiny violin out in my grand pity party. I'm just feeling defeated and like I may have made a huge mistake because I have this teaching degree I'll probably never be able to use. If I could sub, I might feel a bit better for next year because I'd at least be moving forward. Yet, by next year, I'll have no new experience and I'll be further away from when I finished my certification. I was officially certified last September. Oh well. It's a tough time for everyone. I wish you all luck and hope you all find amazing jobs for the fall. Thanks again for the replies.
    Acl1974

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

If it makes you feel better, Acl1974, I went back for my teaching degree in my mid-30s and landed my first full-time teaching job when I was 36. My mother didn't start teaching full time until she was 48. There is time if you have energy.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 5, 2012

Don't give up! My para in my old class got her first teaching job when she was 40. She took a year long sub position first, then got hired full-time in another district. There is hope!

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 5, 2012

P.s. Can you do something Ed. related by volunteering, teaching Sunday school, etc.? Tutoring? That might help.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 5, 2012

I don't know what age group you plan to teach, but your journalist experience could be invaluable as I know school newspaper/TV positions are not always easy to fill. I am sure you know this, but it is important to market that experience!

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 5, 2012

Also....you can take a workshop here and there from your local county Ed. office. Some of them are free, and they are open to any certified teacher, at least in my state. I took a bunch and they are all on my resume. It shows you are staying involved and current.

Also, I agree, market your job experience as a plus. Real world experience is so valuable, and if you are working with older students, even more so, as they will be going out into college and the workforce soon. I have experience outside if education, as well, and I feel it makes me a better teacher. Put the positive spin on what you are doing now. I think most teachers and principals value and even envy those who have the opportunity to get experience in other fields.

13. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

Don't despair. Maybe that wasn't the right school for you. Perhaps anything opening will arise.

14. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

I want to thank everyone for the comments and advice. I like the ideas of volunteering if I can't get my own classroom in the fall. I can definitely offer free tutoring to nearby districts. Also, I am going to look into low-cost or free classes to help me continue to grow as a potential teacher and boost my resume, which was another piece of advice from a poster.
    I think I just need to regroup and keep sending out resumes. It just hit me hard because I got my hopes up. I didn't necessarily see myself getting the job, but sort of hoped for at least an interview since I actually know people there. I felt like it was my best shot at landing one. Yet, I have been applying elsewhere so I suppose it's time to stop whining and move on. Thanks again. Sometimes we all just need a little more encouragement to keep forging ahead.

15. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jun 5, 2012

I am right there with you. I feel like a huge idiot and failure for spending so much money to switch careers to be stuck with no job, same bills, and higher student loans to pay back. I just have to keep reminding myself that I was following my heart and it will work out in time...

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

I'm so sorry.

Has your student teaching ended? If not, I would ask the principal for a mock interview just to get some feedback.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2012

The district I attended for 13 years, volunteered in, and subbed in didn't even give me an interview this year, either. I knew it was my best shot for a job. So, I understand your pain. I'm tired of getting 'the position you applied for has been filled' e-mails. I got three today.

Even though it is past the priority deadline, apply for EAA if you haven't already.

18. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 6, 2012

I took your advice and submitted my application for EAA. We'll see :)

19. mctx1

mctx1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2012

Sorry you're going through this. Looks like a lot of us are in the boat. I, too, am switching careers at 40 and after spending about $5,000 (student teaching/daycare, etc.) no one is calling. I feel like a fool. Sorry, I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one and I certainly hope you get a call soon. (I'm in Texas by the way).

20. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

mctx1....keep the faith. are you changing your resume and cover letters up? have you looked into private schools?

21. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 6, 2012

While I'm sorry you are going through this, it's nice to know of someone else who is facing the same situation. Maybe we can cheer each other on or something. I hope you get a call soon as well. I hope we all do.

22. mctx1

mctx1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2012

Thanks. I had it reviewed by the ACP Director. The private schools here are just as saturated.

I think there are several factors that are making it difficult.

--economy/budget cuts
    --not enough retirees for the amount graduates and ACP (older) candidates
    --it's all about who you know; the only reason I got a job interview at one school is because I knew a friend that worked at the administration office.

I've talked to the secretaries at my daughter's school. They got a huge binder of resumes for just a couple of positions. The sad thing is, how many teachers are just going through the motions and are no longer effective teachers because they're burnt out??? Sorry for the long post, acl1974:eek:. We'll just keep at it.

23. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 9, 2012

I know how frustrating it is..u just gotta keep looking and just try and think of new ideas...do you have a boys and girls club or soemthing like that where you can work (or a tutor place) and build your resume? best of luck...and youre right...its 96% who you know but keep the faith!

24. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

I'm right with you in the frustration of job hunting. I look daily, apply, send out emails, and receive the dreaded "we've filled the position" emails. Sometimes I get emails returned from the principals stating they have filled the position (ok, why is it still posted then?!?!), but mostly nothing.

I've been lucky to have four interviews, two I really had hopes for, but didn't get it, my first was good for practice, and my last one was a waste because I wasn't certified to teach the subject they wanted (no idea why they didn't tell me what subject ahead of time, or ask if I COULD teach it!?!).

The idea of "who you know" doesn't always work either. My husband has a friend who is a principal, called him this week to put in a good word for me. P told hubby that he had over 200 applicants for that position and I was fresh out of school, while he had other applicants with experience. Now I'm just feeling beat down because I can't get experience until someone gives me the chance!!

I'm set to sub for this school year and keep trying as new positions or long term sub options come open. I have no idea how to make myself stick out as a great candidate when there are so many others and those with experience up against me.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 14, 2012

It is not always who you know. I have a friend who has subbed in a school long-term many times. She is great..professional, talented, everyone loves her. They will not give her permanent status. It is truly awful. She is finally looking around at other districts.

Sometimes knowing someone helps, but my husband's school hires plenty of people from out of town who knew nobody...so don't give up!

26. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

Hey, at least you have a job at the moment--that's more than a lot of people have!

27. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 14, 2012

Yes, I am not saying that I am not lucky to have a full time job. I am simply worried that the further I get away from when I was certified without new and relevant experience, the more trouble it is going to be for me to move from my current field into teaching. I realize that there are people in far worse situations than I am in, but I still have a dream to be a teacher and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen for me. I think any of us who have gone to school for as long as we all have would be sad if they were never able to teach. It's pretty natural.

28. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 14, 2012

Oh and I want to add that I have received some very helpful tips from people on here about how to keep my experience current and relevant even though I cannot quit this job to sub. I appreciate all of the help people are giving me on here ;)

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 14, 2012

I'm sorry acl, I didn't get hired at the school I've interned at for half a year either.

But in my case, my position was filled by a senior member of the staff, so I can kind of understand. They said they would hire me if I got a Math credential.

But my target was to work close to home anyway (I had to drive 45 minutes every morning to get to work).

30. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I have never been able to break into the public school sphere! It is super tough out there! Three years of applying and not even an interview!!!
    Private schools have been amazing! Ive gotten more interviews through private schools and more job opportunities. After aiding for 2 years (and teaching summer school) I finally have my own classroom.

Maybe try a private school! Goooood luck!!

31. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

Late 30s? Try being in your late FIFTIES. You have PLENTY of time to get into the field. Take the advice given here, especially doing the subbing and even classified work. I am trying that route up here, and it is a long, long road.

32. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

Private education is actually your best bet in getting "real" teaching experience. You won't make the money, but the experience is the important thing.