bummed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sahmof2boys, Sep 23, 2010.

1. sahmof2boys

sahmof2boys Rookie

Sep 23, 2010

A little background:

I am a certified teacher with 2 years kindergarten teaching experience and 4 years 5th grade experience. Prior to that I worked at a child care facility for 4 years. I have been home for 4 years but I have been working from home. I score for a teacher exam and a high school exit exam.

Well, on Monday I went for a job interview as a Non Instructional Assistant. I just wanted something to do while my kids were in school. Not ready to jump in on teaching full time yet. I thought the interview went really well but obviously not well enough. I didn't get the job. I asked for some feedback on the interview and I was told they would keep my ap on hold and call if something came up. That I was qualified and that they just decided to go with someone that did the job in the past. They were very nice about it, so I don't have the feeling that I did something wrong. But I am just a little confused. Here I am a certified teacher and they won't hire me as an assistant? It is just very disheartening......

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2010

Don't be so hard on yourself! It doesn't sound like it was anything against you... often, districts will rehire former employees who have moved back into the area... I know my dsitrict does, and I went to at least one interview where they TOLD me that was happening (at the end of the interview, the P told me that after they'd sccheduled the interview, they got a call from someone who'd taught in that building and just moved back into town... since it was a week beore school and she already kneww the curriculum, they decided to go with her, but they didn't want to cncel on those of us who'd already committed... if anything else opened up, she'd definately keep me in mind, but didn't want me to have to sit on it not knowing).

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Sep 23, 2010

Maybe the other candidate was also a certified teacher? Maybe the other candidate had worked at the school before?

I asked a principal for feedback on my interview and he basically said that he couldn't do that!! He said something about it could actually be used negatively if I didn't get the job.

5. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

The district I use to work for employed using the "buddy system" or nepotism. Never be shocked if the job went to a friend or family. A lot of districts work that way.

6. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 12, 2010

It may have been that they know you are over qualified and think you might be planning to leave. We have para's at our school who are going to school to become teachers, but even though there are unemployed teachers, our admin never hires them to be paras. I think they want long term stability in staff.