Bummed Out

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teach57, Aug 6, 2006.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

I had an interview last Friday for a Gifted/Talented Elementary Classroom. I went in there and did the best I could, but I had the feeling that they already had their minds made up on someone other than me. Anyone had that happen before? It's frustrating because there was only one other person interviewed and she will have a child in that classroom. I'm suppose to find out the results tomorrow. It's just a very odd situation if you ask me. I'm just bummed out. My one interview this summer and it was pre-decided. I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hoping that one of gazillion applications I'm sending out will do the trick.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Are you sure about it, teach? I'm sorry if that is the case. Try to keep your spirits up. Contact the schools you are most interested in. Don't give up hope.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

you never know- it may not be the case. Keep on keepin on.:)

5. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

A friend of mine had that happen to her and she was frustrated as well. However later in another interview she was offered a position while the next interviewee was in the waiting area and they outright told her she had the job if she wanted it but they had to interview the others scheduled before giving her an "official" offer. Good Luck!

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

It doesn't seem fair to hire someone before all the other interviews are complete. It doesn't give everyone a fair chance.

I know sometimes principals already have their mind made up about who to hire, but because of politics they have to interview other people.

I hope that doesn't happen to me on Tuesday for my interview! I want this job bad!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR NEXT INTERVIEW!

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I agree. Even if they wanted to hire me right there I would rather them interview everyone first before offering the job. I think the same about interviewing because they have to but that's the way it is sometimes, sad but true.

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I had it happen to me. They were hiring a full year long term sub. I knew the girl that they were planning on hiring. She had the same sub position the previous year for a few months. (I think it was a maternity leave and the teacher decided to take a year off.) When they called to offer me the interview I almost declined, but decided to use it for experience. I wasn't nervous at all for the interview (because I was 99% sure this other woman had it) and I did a great job. Oh well, I ended up getting a permanent job the next day elsewhere. :)

You never know, you may get it. If you don't, then that means there is something else better out there that is meant for you!

9. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Aug 7, 2006

Happened to me too although I guess there could have been other circumstances I applied for a position with a deadline of 8/15.

They closed it not long after I sent my application. It's frustrating. Not even a chance to interview. I'm still waiting to get even one interview....

10. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

Update

Well...my hunch was right. I received a call today telling me what I already knew: I didn't get the job. I keep trying to think that it just wasn't meant to be. There is something out there perfect for me, but I just wish it would show up! People keep telling me how great I am with kids, but why won't someone who can offer me a position see it too. Trying to keep the hopes up...

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

So sorry Teach57, but you are right.... something better will come along. Hang in there. There are a lot of us in the same boat.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2006

I think they do have someone else in mind sometimes when you interview. I had an interview for a first grade position (my experience is in the upper grades). I worked so hard to prepare. I thought that maybe they saw something in me that I didn't see myself. Turns out that the other candidate's mother was the school secretary and she got the job. Everyone in the building knew that was going to happen. They just needed to have multiple interviews. Just think of the adage about kissing a lot of frogs to find your prince.

13. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 7, 2006

Sorry to hear you did not get the job teach. Hopefully something will come along soon.

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 8, 2006

Teach 57 I'm sorry to hear about that.

15. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Oh my gosh guys!!!! I haven't read this forum since taking my CSET....over a year ago! I live in California and I'm having problems securing a full-time teaching job. I'm actually thinking of moving out of state...I would be curious to know where some of you are from....are teachers all over having trouble getting a job? I had a Kindergarten position but was not rehired because of not passing the CSET....now I've subbed for two years.....I really want my own classroom. Interested in knowing your stories. Thanks, misscy

Oops...I have my Preliminary Credential now....passed the CSET...but can't find a job!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  16. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

:sorry:

I have my Professional Clear and .... you guessed it, I can't get a full time job. I am continuing in the part time position I had last year. However, if they have to open it up for bid (i.e. interview all comers) I may end up being passed over in spite of having the principal on my side.

17. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

misscyteach-where i live the job market is very tight + competitive. i have been out of school for 3 years and have yet to secure my "dream job" (all the while teaching in the schools no one else wants to teach in :)). i have heard, though, that some parts of the country are really desperate for teachers. so relocation is always an option...though i wouldn't want to leave cali! good luck to you!! :) -meri

18. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 17, 2006

I've found it quite easy to get picked up in Northeastern IL, both as a Substitute and a Teacher's Aide.

Illinois and Northeastern Illinois in particular always have trouble trouble trying to secure good teachers. If interested, read Need Work? Consider Relocating To Northeastern Illinois.

Illinois also has reciprocity with California.

19. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the posts! It's good to know you ladies are here and I can read where you're at in our struggle anytime!