Bullying education. Sigh.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2015

So I'm reflecting on some madness of this past week. Not just Halloween, Red Ribbon Week, or the full moon, but the bullying lesson our school counselor requested from a state program.

Most teachers had to request a follow-up counselor lesson to explain to kids the difference between true bullying and feeling less than happy after a disagreement with a friend.

Now, I get fired up over bullying, but I wish more bullying education focused a little more on interpersonal relationships and personal resilience.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 1, 2015

I agree. I think we are setting kids up in a way that they thiink they should never hear anything from another person that is bothersome to them.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 1, 2015

Perhaps you can have the students create their OWN definitions of bullying and ways they can make it stop. That would be an interesting topic for an explanatory paragraph or essay, which would tie into Common Core. The class could collaboratively create a Code of Conduct for the classroom and on the playground.

Backroads likes this.
  5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Nov 1, 2015

That's a bummer. How old are the kiddos who didn't understand it? I remember having issues with 1st graders not understanding bullying, and crying wolf about their friends "bullying" them. Haven't had the same problem with 3rd & 4th grade.

We do Love & Logic at our school, and part of the program requires students to solve their own problems with each other. Teachers usually tell students to "rock, talk, or walk" -- do one round of rock-paper-scissors, talk about the issue with the other person, or just walk away. If the problem is ongoing or the student is in danger, then the teacher will intervene. Sometimes I intervene just to have students apologize to each other. I think it has helped a lot with teaching students to be independent and confident.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2015

Bullying has
    Bullying has a specific definition....not that young kids need to know it, but having kids create their own definitions could lead to deeper misconceptions of what bullying is.
    My state is a leader in HIB training and curriculum. Not only does my school reinforce positive interpersonal interactions with character Ed based lessons, but we also have county Child Abuse Prevention leaders who come in for interactive workshops in our classrooms that deal with bullying as well as child protection issues. We also have state mandated HIB trained staff members to whom any possible bullying issues are reported for review/investigation. Our guidance counselors are also awesome in terms of providing teachers with resources (videos, boks, lessons) on bullying, respect and character Ed as well as pulling groups f kids who need some strategies for social skills.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Backroads likes this.
  7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2015

This is something that we really address because students begin to call everything bullying (I have even had students tell me their parents bully them!). So when we begin to teach about bullying, we go into details about the difference between conflicts and bullying. We teach students how to resolve conflicts in a peaceful manner, and we teach them about what bullying looks like and how much power they have as upstanders (we are really trying to promote not being a bystander but taking a stand against bullies, when it feels safe, by being an upstander).

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 7, 2015

I'm dealing with a very immature child in 4th grade who thinks a teacher is bullying him because the teacher wouldn't let him go out to the bathroom. Unfortunately, I don't have any support from his parents - his Mother still helps him get dressed in the school if he forgets a sports uniform and gets upset with us if we don't allow him to say good bye to him "properly" 3-4 times when she comes into the school- and the boy isn't crazy about me (if you let him do what he wants, he loves you, if you try to correct him, he hates you and will lie about stuff you've said or done). *sigh*

I think bullying needs to be addressed in school (and definitely at home... I wish parents would do more about this), but sometimes opening and discussing a topic with kids too soon just adds to confusion and frustration about problems that really are not problems.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 7, 2015

Have you looked at www.teaching tolerance.com for resources? Everything is free and the publication and programs are wonderful.

10. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Nov 8, 2015

I was glad to read this post and realize it is not just me feeling the frustration on this matter. Earlier this week, a student was bought to my office to report a "bullying" situation. After some investigation, it turns out that the accuser had actually initiated some hurtful (and unprovoked) behavior toward the other student.

The "bully" was not being a bully, rather it was a one-time reaction in which he responded to the accuser's hurtful behavior by doing the same thing back to the accuser. Was the behavior wrong? Absolutely. Do I consider that bullying? No. The accuser didn't like that, so they told their teacher what happened (leaving off the fact that they had started the situation) and the report was, "So and so has been bullying me. He did ______ and _____ to me." :oops:

I was just glad it got to me before the parents.