Bullying and Elitism in Language Immersion Programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 31, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 31, 2019

Have discussed this was a number of real-life teachers, and the stories always seem to be the same: It's extremely difficult to completely fight against a sense of elitism and even bullying in schools with language immersion programs.

Anyone ever fought against it successfully?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 31, 2019

What do you mean by bullying and elitism, exactly? How is it different in language immersion than in other programs? Our district has an immersion program that feeds into our HS language program, and I haven't heard of any such issues, as far as I know of.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 31, 2019

Could be my area, but parents will actually get upset if their kids hang out with those outside the program, or insist their kids can't have learning issues, and a lot of harassing of outside the program.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2019

We have similar issues in our program. When the kids and parents are together since kindergarten and are given everything by the district of course they are going to feel entitled. This is just the latest fad, it will pass in a few years and some other program will get to be the highlight.

Backroads likes this.