Bully Prevention and Activities That Actually Work????????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MWMnElmed, Jan 20, 2011.

1. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jan 20, 2011

I am trying to find resources and ideas to help students think about how it feels to be bullied and ways to prevent it. I don't want some kiddie video with a puppet saying "it's not nice to bully." I've taught for four years in the same school and see students who came through the school with the typical bullying lessons and when they reach upper elem none of it seems to have stuck.

I'm searching for object lessons, games that the students participate in and actual activities that help educate students about the effects of bullying. Is there anything that is actually meaningful and effective out there? Again I want students to participate, not just sit there and regurgitate answers they know are correct, but they themselves seldom practice.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2011

I was searching for things earlier this year...there was a cute activity "sticks and stones" Students wrote an insult on a gray paper "stone" They crumpled it and tried to flatten it but of course the creases were still there...showed that words do last....there was more to it...google and you may find it.

What grade level? there is a chester the racoon book about bullying *as in the racoon from the kissing hand.

4. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Jan 20, 2011

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2011

We use the Olweus program and have found it to be very successful.

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jan 21, 2011

Have you looked into the bucketfiller program with various books?

7. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 21, 2011

I saw one curriculum that was designed to help reduce bullying in schools. I can't remember what it was called, and I only saw the Kindergarten set, but it had pictures of different faces and we had to discuss if we though the person was upset/happy/scared. I know it also covered what to do if you are being bullied and techniques in dealing with people you don't like.

Now that I think about it, I think it may have been called Second Step. A google search brings up several links.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 21, 2011

Rox- that sounds exactly like Second Step.