Bullies

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by mw302, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mw302

mw302 New Member

Oct 10, 2011

Does anyone else have problems with their school site's reaction to bullies? I have a student in my class who calls other students names and threatens to harm them. Although I deal with this behavior in my classroom, there's only so much I can do as a teacher. My school site will not really do anything about the threats. Is anyone else having similar problems?

3. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Oct 12, 2011

Bullying is a very serious concern for our state. There are bullying laws and prevention plans that each school must submit to the state. We have a "bullying" committee that is set up, with referral forms/ steps to investigate/ possible offenses, etc. What grade do you teach? I would document document document. Bullying is when the behavior is repeated several times at an individual that has less power than them and can cause physical or emotional stress. For ex: if the student is targeting multiple people- one kid one day, another kid one day, then it may not necessarily be considered bullying. However, if the child picked on the same kid multiple times, then the child would be considered the "aggressor" and the kid would be the "target". I think you should definitely refer the child to admin if it doesn't seem that the child is responding to interventions already put in place. Also, parent communication and having a plan with the individual child outside of regular class time would be good too, and to really compliment the positives when the child is exhibiting positive behavior towards children. Admin needs to be supportive in order to ensure a safe and productive learning environment for all. Maybe you could talk to the school counselor and some other people that work /worked with this child and have a team meeting with admin. Good luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

Nj now requires all public school districts to have harassment, intimidation, bullying policies. We have clear requirements for reporting, investigation and consequences.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2011

I would definitely refer to this as bullying--with multiple victims. I have no tolerance for bullies or bullying behaviour. I do deal with it as a classroom teacher, and refer to administration if my interventions don't stop the behaviour.

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Oct 13, 2011

Right- This type of behavior not tolerated in my classroom either, but our state's law (the nitty gritty wording of it) states that a repeated action(s) must happen several times to the same person in order for the definition of "Bullying" to be considered. However, if this same person was doing multiple things to multiple people, creating physical or emotional instability, then it would also be considered bullying. I hope this makes sense, and I hope that admin backs up the OP to eliminate this type of behavior.

7. mw302

mw302 New Member

Oct 23, 2011

I am trying to work with this student using a positive behavior contract and a positive behavior support plan. The difficulty I am having is that this child has made several threats toward children on the campus, but the administrator says that threats are "not suspendable." What do I do if the administrator won't take the situation seriously?

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

By no means am I an expert on this but just speaking from experience in my own school - it is really, really, really hard to suspend a student with an IEP. This might be what your P is referring to.