Bullied news anchor

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

Have you all seen this? Sorry if it's already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo&feature=g-logo-xit

The debate in my twitter feed is whether or not she was actually bullied. I will admit, when I first heard about it, I expected a tirade filled with expletives and grammar errors. The email really isn't, but is still totally inappropriate and a great big nunya.

She really zinged him on her reply though!

Thoughts?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I had seen this on FB.

I think the man who wrote the letter is a complete ***. I think that is all I have to say at this time.

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

I think she handle the situation with a great deal of aplomb.

She was very direct in her response, but still very professional. Instead of shying away from the issue, she used it as an opportunity to show others how to handle themselves in similar situations. I especially appreciate her last message:

"Do not let your self worth be defined by bullies!"

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I am from the area that she lives and have watched her morning show for years. She is such a fabulous person and everyone in my area supports her.She has been contacted by Ellen, so we will see what happens.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I hear that Jennifer Livingston is going to be on "Helen" on Tuesday.

8. TheLittlestHobo

TheLittlestHobo New Member

Oct 4, 2012

I know the message was not very nice at all, but it seemed to me like an opinion of his he was expressing, rather than words without conviction that were solely intended to hurt.

Although I don't agree with the writer myself, overweight people being poor role-models for children is a commonly heard and accepted argument.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2012

Good for her!!!!

It's so very easy to criticize from the safety of the internet.

As far as the role model thing goes: I'm not sure that taking pot shots at a stranger's weight makes the guy who started the issue all that great a role model .

He's allowed to have his opinions. He's even allowed to be an insufferable boor by letting her know his incredibly hurtful opnion.

But she's also allowed to respond with her opinon, and I greatly admire the way she chose to do so.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

AN OPINION! :eek: He was not asked a question so it is not an opinion.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

I think the problem is anyone in the media is deemed fair game when it comes to criticism.
    I doubt many kids look at an overweight person and think, "I want to be just like them" . It never really occurred to me that overweight folks would be bad role models.
    I have observed a certain segment in society that see themselves as judges of others and pursue it relentlessly. What someone says about me or in any way judges me means little to me. It says more about the person running their mouth than it does about me. Most of us (with any sense) are aware of our shortcomings. I just try to treat everyone with respect and try to be aware of their feelings when dealing with them.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 5, 2012

I have a lot of opinions no one asks me about. I still have them, and I share them as I feel appropriate. I would probably not find that an appropriate way to share one of my opinions. My grandmother taught me not to talk unless I had something nice to say. However, if I always followed that rule, I'd never stand up for anything I believe in. His statements were mean, but were not bullying. His opinion is not even uncommon, though he maybe went overboard expressing it, though I never saw where he called her any names. He broke a rule of etiquette by commenting on a woman's weight, but that's bad manners, not bullying. My question is, why did her husband post it to his Facebook page? In my mind, that would be grounds for divorce!

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

I dont know but now she is famous, admired and going to be on Ellen. Im betting divorce is not in the conversation.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2012

So following this guy's line of reasoning, Oprah is not a good role model.

Hello?

All imperfect adults need not apply - who does that leave? I thought we were all trying the best we could with what we have. So if you are overweight, he is saying just hang it up because you are not a good role model. What infantile reasoning. I wonder if his frontal lobe is fully developed. And I know this sounds like a mean voice, but I am not feeling like a mean voice.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

He purposefully singled out the flaws of another person.
    That is a bully.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

Exactly...he can have the opinion, but pointing them out to a single individual is bullying. He purposefully picked her out. He did not right a general statement saying that news anchors, teachers, doctors, officers, etc. should be thin role models. That would be an opinion.

17. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 6, 2012

Would you feel the same, as a teacher, if a father of a student came in and told you that because you were overweight you weren't a good role model for your students?

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

I would.

I jumped on the "bullying bandwagon" when I first saw this article, but I agree with subsequent posts that the comments may have been mean, rude and inappropriate, but a single incident does not qualify as bullying, in my opinion - and I am a very strong anti-bullying advocate.

As for myself, I was the kid who was always skinny, no matter how much I ate, so I never worried about my weight. Then I had several abdominal surgeries and hit middle-age and my youthful metabolism abandoned me. So now I DO consider myself to be somewhat overweight and I definitely have a small pot-belly. Some of that cannot be helped due to the many times my abdominal muscles have been cut apart, but I'm still not happy with the shape I'm in (literally and figuratively).

So it would be very possible a parent might just make a comment like that to me. Would it hurt my feelings? Maybe, but I still wouldn't consider it bullying. I know that the parent does NOT know my history and why my body looks this way. If they think my belly looks bad with a shirt on, they should see it with my shirt off - that's a really scary sight with all the surgical scars. But they don't know that, so I realize their comments are based in ignorance (in more ways than one).

The same is true here.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2012

BettyRubble, her husband is the evening news anchor for WKBT/La Crosse area news where they both work. They are both very well liked and people admire his stance for his lovely wife.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2012

Jennifer is going to be on The Ellen show Tuesday.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

Yes, I would. That parent would not be a bully, he would be expressing an (unfounded) concern about my professionalism. I would privately complain to my administration. I would lament to my husband (who works with me and teaches next door) but it would never occur to him to post about it on social media or turn it into a media circus. I feel like that would be him saying, "Look, my wife is fat, and finally there's someone else who agrees. Aren't they mean to have pointed it out?" when he would be doing the exact same thing. I don't point out his every failure or embarrassing moment where everyone can see!

It still doesn't change the fact that I would not consider it bullying, just having bad manners and being ridiculous. My feelings would be hurt, yes, but just because something hurts your feelings doesn't mean you were "bullied."

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 6, 2012

I don't consider it bullying, particularly as a media personality. You are fair game for everything... you better get used to it.

However, I'd like to speak to it as a larger societal issue. This sort of thing (people might call mean), is a result of that person's own situation. I would liken it to a situation that is occuring in education, one that I live/see everyday.

In my district, everyone under ten years have been laid-off. This has caused a rift between the have's and the havenot's. When the have's (i.e. underemployed/unemployed teachers) talk about their plight among themselves, they are bitter. One of the things I hear a lot (from good, good-hearted teachers) is, "The old teachers need to retire, etc."

It highlights how bitterness (call it what you will) is everywhere. People are bitter, because of a real discrepancy in our world, where we have haves, and havenots. This person who e-mailed this anchor would appear to have reason (is reasonable), just judging by their grammatically correct e-mail. In other words, it's not some crackpot who types in ALL CAPS and struggles to put together a proper sentence. It's likely that this person is frustrated in his/her own life, and wants to let "the Have's" know it in some way. It's the same thing.

Someone who is fulfilled wouldn't take the time sh-ng on someone else. They do it, because they have a need to.

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2012

I have to side with the idea that it is not bullying. I think people are quick to jump to the word bully when the right word is mean. Bullying is a systematic problem over time, not one incident.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2012

I don't think that incredibe rudeness is the same as bullying.

The original email was sent to the news anchor. There was no attempt to publically humiliate her; the decision to air the email publically was hers. It was a single email, not a series of them. There was no stated or implied threat, no stated or implied damage to her, her loved ones, or her reputation.

It was an opinion that was offensive and not asked for, but I would not classify it as bullying.

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

The irony of this situation is that the person sending the email may have actually thought he was doing Jennifer a favor. People who give advice like this sometimes really think they have the person's best interest in mind and they don't realize how rude and offensive their advice sounds, especially when it is not asked for.

Alice makes another important point; the person sending the email did not make his comments publicly, so he wasn't trying to publicly embarrass Jennifer. That's another reason I don't consider his actions to be bullying.

The second irony of the situation is that, by deciding to make the email public through Facebook and the newstation (and, thus, subjecting the sender of the email to public criticism, ridicule and condemnation), Jennifer and her husband could actually be considered "bullies" as well. The situation could have been handled very quietly and very privately, but Jennifer and her husband were the ones who insisted on making it public.

I appreciate the message I think Jennifer was trying to send - "Don't let your self worth be determined by bullies." - but I think she and her husband might have been able to find a better way to communicate that message.

26. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 6, 2012

Yes, my question wasn't about whether it's bullying, but whether it would make a difference in your job performance if you were overweight or not. If the father said you weren't a good role model because you were fat, I think it would be terribly unfair and absolutely untrue.

She also has 3 young children, one that's only like a year old, so really the guy never should have hit send on that e-mail. We can't all get paid millions of dollars by Weight Watchers to whip back into shape in a few months like certain celebrities.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2012

I was bullied as a kid and teenager, this was not even close to what I call bulling. The Email she received was more unwanted criticism. I am glade she did not publish the writer's name then that might have been retaliatory bulling, kind of like smacking your kid for hitting another kid and saying, "we don't hit."
    I hope others can understand when bulling really starts.
    Lately the cry of bulling has become a catch phrase. Much like "racist" or "hater" has become. I feel it is becoming a Cry of Wolf. Much Like when a false charge are made in some domestic disturbances It hurts the bonafide victims!
    At times I think my being bullied made me stronger but then again I am old school.

28. TheLittlestHobo

Oct 7, 2012

o·pin·ion/əˈpinyən/
    Noun:
    A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    The beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.

I don't see anything about the necessity for one to be requested for his or her opinion for it to qualify.

By your own unique definition of opinion though, is what you wrote an opinion? I certainly never asked you for it.

29. TheLittlestHobo

Oct 7, 2012

Aren't you singling out his flaws?

If I were to tell a girlfriend who keeps checking my phone that she is paranoid, would I be a bully?

If I were to tell someone who keeps shouting at me that they have anger issues, would I be a bully?

Some of you guys are just reacting emotionally here without thinking about things.

30. TheLittlestHobo

Oct 7, 2012

bullyingpresent participle of bul·ly
    Verb:
    Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

criticizingpresent participle of crit·i·cize (Verb)
    Verb:
    Indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way: "they criticized the failure of Western nations".
    Form and express a judgment of (a literary or artistic work).

That settles it then, he was criticizing her and not bullying her. Unless the dictionary is wrong and you guys are right... :|

31. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 7, 2012

I don't think it would affect my job performance at all. I've had a parent basically tell me there is no way I could be a superior teacher because I have no children. Same idea. It doesn't affect my teaching practice at all. Nor would being called a poor role model because I'm overweight (which I am, slightly).

I may have mentioned this on the other thread, but I think that bullying is being thrown around soooo much that it's losing its impact as a word. And, kids don't understand the meaning or the importance of the word. The emailer's comments were unwarranted, mean-spirited, and untrue (about her being a poor role model). However, this newscaster was not bullied. Had she come out and talked about how ridiculous it is to pass judgement, stereotype or discriminate based on one's body, and blasted the emailer like that, I would be standing up and applauding. But, she didn't, so I kind of find myself shaking my head at her instead. I appreciate the sentiment, but I think she went about it the wrong way.

32. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

Exactly. So having someone tell you you're not fulfilling your job duties because of something that has no bearing on your job performance makes no sense. Which is what this guy did. Maybe it's not bullying, but it is completely unnecessary and just sad.

“Surely you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular,” he wrote.

That's just mean, imo.

The man's name is out there now. I don't know if someone leaked it or if he came forward. He said he was sorry and the kicker is he admitted to being obese when he was young. You'd think that would have made him give pause and perhaps try to write the letter in an encouraging, rather than disparaging, way.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

I can't help but wonder if the reason she decided to pursue this is because the man who wrote it is a lawyer. I wonder if an "unknown" person would have wrote it would have made a difference.
    There is always the chance that the people she works with strongly added to her actions to make it public.
    Anyway, I don't think it is bullying. I'm thinking since the letter was sent privately, she could have pursued it privately.

34. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

I'm also amazed at how many people on here are speaking out so strongly against the man, when I've seen them treat people the exact same way on here. Is it different when it's anonymous?

The man sent a private letter to a public figure expressing concern about a part of her life. He did not call her any names, or make any threats. Her husband then decided to make that letter public on his Facebook page. The man who sent the letter is not a bully. He is perhaps mean, and guilty of bad manners, but he is not a bully.

I think everyone needs to examine the tone of some of the posts in this thread and the other one about this topic, and realize how easy it is to get carried away when you think you are right, and how easy it is to forget that other people have opinions and feelings, too.

35. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

How would you handle this exact thing if it happened in your classroom?

36. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

Interesting. I never thought of it that way.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but I love when people take the time to look at things from different perspectives.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

I can't help but wonder if the reason she decided to pursue this is because the man who wrote it is a lawyer. I wonder if an "unknown" person would have wrote it would have made a difference.
    There is always the chance that the people she works with strongly added to her actions to make it public.
    Anyway, I don't think it is bullying. I'm thinking since the letter was sent privately, she could have pursued it privately.
    ______

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2012