Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AngelM, May 26, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

May 26, 2007

I will begin teaching 2nd grade this fall. I have been thinking about room decorations, furniture arrangement, and all of that fun stuff. The room that I will be in has only two small bulletin boards. I really want a larger display for the word wall. My question is this: Has anyone ever made your own bulletin board? If so, how did you do it and how did you hang it (without putting nails, etc., in the concrete walls)?

Another option: simply put up bulletin board paper with border directly onto the wall. Would this work or would it fall down in a matter of days?

Thanks for any suggestions. I know this sounds minor, but I'm trying to "plan ahead." :) :thanks:

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 26, 2007

I don't have much wall space, so my word wall is on the cabinet doors.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2007

A friend of mine has cinderblock walls. She used hot glue to hang hooks for her Mountain Math and ???? English (I don't remember what they are called now!) She glued the small platic hooks from WalMart to the wall and hangs everything from them. It seems to work well for her.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2007

I have a wall of windows and am using sheets for my curtains. I have opened paperclips to turn into hooks and looped a bunch through the sheets. I hang my words on them.

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 26, 2007

do you have an extra whiteboard? that's where I have mine!

7. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 26, 2007

OH! as for tape to hold bulletin board paper up, check out "mauvelous tape" (teaching stores seem to carry it). it is super strong, but comes off without taking the wall or leaving marks. :)

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 27, 2007

I have an easel white board that I use for almost all of my instruction - so I turned my chalkboard into my word wall - the words are magnetic, so the kids can pull them down and use them! It makes for a very 'interactive' word wall. :D

9. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 27, 2007

I read somewhere about using a sheet of insulation board from a home supply center for a bulletin board. It said to attach it to the wall with four screws or with something called liquid nails.

This year, we made a display in the hallway by putting bulletin board paper on the cinder block wall with a combination of masking tape(get the expensive brand-it has more sticking power) and hot glue. It stayed up all year - we just now pulled it down.

10. Aida Poo

Aida Poo Rookie

May 27, 2007

I totally understand your need to make everything look great in your room! I ran into that problem, too. I had bulletin boards, but I needed another one. I tacked up card board on old blackboards, and then covered them with paper. They did just as well as bulletin boards. If you had a clothes lines, you could hang that up, too, and start a running word wall on chart paper. You then could attach the chart paper with the clothes pins to the line. I hope this helps!!

11. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 27, 2007

I have been in "pod" classrooms (schools without walls) for observations and those teachers are some of the best at creating unusual but still functional Word Walls. One room uses a PVC chart stand (like the kind you could hang a large pocket chart from), but instead of a chart, runs long lengths of ribbons from it, one length per letter. The teacher alternates the ribbon hues so letters are easily distinguished. Then, the teacher writes the word wall words on index cards or card stock and paper clips them to the ribbon (like bows on a kite tail).

I observe in another classroom that has pocket charts for each letter of the alphabet and the students can walk up to the wall, find the word they want from the correct pocket, remove it, use it for reference, and then return it.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 27, 2007

I also have my word wall on the white board. I love it!

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 27, 2007

I used a large piece of cardboard to create an extra bulletin board. I used small nails in the corners to attach it (if I could do it over again, I would put one nail in the center too) and then covered it with a large sheet of yellow paper and a border. It worked out great.

14. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

May 27, 2007

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great ideas. I am feeling better about this now (actually feeling like I have options :) ).