Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachTN, Aug 14, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I saw a tip yesterday to use wallpaper because it holds up and does not fade, very interesting... I was wondering if anyone has used fabric - how does it hold up? I saw some yesterday at the craft store for just a few dollars for a bundle, but need to get measurements of my bulletin board first.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Some wallpaper is this and difficult to maneuver...were you planning on stapling it up?

For a colorfast background, easy to hang, I'd go with fabric sheets.:2cents:I

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 14, 2013

I like fabric for many reasons:
    1. Patterns
    2. Durability (less prone to fading, etc.)
    3. More forgiving than paper (you can stretch a bit if you need it to). :)

I've also used felt and enjoyed it, but when using push pins, etc, it's quite possible that it will "fray" when you pull out the pins, staples, etc.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

I agree that the wallpaper can be difficult to hang, but it is durable. I had the same piece hanging for at least 4 years.
    That's when I switched to fabric though and I'll never go back. I like solid colors - one is glittery and one is purple with a purple design so it's subtle. I also have a tie dye pattern that stays up all year but it just has folders on it so it isn't too busy.
    I also use a solid color border.
    I staple it up and then use push pins or staples to attach items.

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I was planning to use fabric, if the measurements work out. Didn't know if people had issues with it. With how inexpensive the material is, I could easily change it out if it frays.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

I've used fabric for years. The standard width is exactly the right size for a bulletin board, at least the ones we use in my district.

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 14, 2013

I use fadeless paper, and leave it up for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I've had to move rooms so much that I've never had a chance to leave it up longer than that.

9. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 14, 2013

I have used fabric, and really like it a lot. You can usually find bolts of solid fabric rather cheap at Joanne's and other fabric stores. I have also seen people use felt and I like that too..

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2013

I've had the same fabric in my bulletin boards since June of 1998. It's just now starting to look worn on the one board that I staple and remove things often.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

I'm a fabric girl. I use felt, burlap and cotton. This year, I changed my theme, but only changed the fabric on a few boards. I change because the color didn't match. The folded the fabric that I took down to use in the future.