Bulletin Boards (again...sorry!)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by perplexed, Jul 24, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 24, 2012

Okay, so I saw my room for the second time today (the first time was when I was interviewing so I didn't really remember it). It only has 3 small bulletin boards, about 4' x 7', but other than that it's a pretty decent sized room. It has no windows, but lots of white wall space. The walls are made out of regular dry wall. I guess I'm going to make my own bulletin boards on those spaces so it's not so empty and boring looking. The walls are kind of scuffed up too since they're white so it'll look nicer to cover them.

Should I use: paper or fabric (or any other ideas) on the wall? I thought about the plastic table cloths, but not so sure if it'll get all crinkly since I can't staple.

To hang it up, should I use the blue tape or command strips? Or is there something better?

It seems like this is going to be a lot of work, but it'll look better.

What do you use?

I normally have lots of BB space and no wall space, so this is new to me. I

3. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

I am in the same boat. I have alot of walls space and no BBs.

I saw a post on making your own BBs on DIY Classroom..went and bought a similar material from Home Depot, had them cut it to size (got 4 BBs out of the sheet of material for $16). I went to JoAnns, used my teacher discount and bought a durable 'twill like' fabric (I think) and had them cut to size. (took my BB in lol to be sized)

I will put the fabric on this weekend with my stable gun. I'm going to use the 3M Command picture hanging strips to hang them up...

But....I just saw on this site...in the "Classroom Picture" thread where someone used BB paper cut to size and with the BB boarder directly on the wall (no BB backing) and it looked nice. (I would like to know what kind of tape to use????)

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=149035

Since I already bought the materials I will use them but I may look into doing the latter version on another wall/area

4. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 24, 2012

That's a good idea about making your own! I will look into it. I also looked at the link you had. I think I could probably use the paper on the wall. I think this would be easier if my school had rolls of colored paper...those big ones for bulletin boards. They don't though, so now I'm trying figure out what to use. I relied on that a lot at my old school. I might buy the fadeless paper with a JoAnn's coupon. Maybe those BBs will be for the ones I don't have to put so much on it since I'll have to tape. Stapling is so much easier and fun.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 24, 2012

Just don't forget to leave some plain white space. Some students need a blank area to look at in order to focus.

6. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 24, 2012

I have dry wall type walls at my school and we can staple right into the wall. Are you able to do that?

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

I like using staples. It doesn't take many and they do less damage than tape.

I hang my backdrops and then hot glue the other pieced onto it.

Maybe you could incorporate non-breakable mirrors to reflect light since you don't have windows.

Have fun with your new space.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2012

I would try foam board to create a bulletin board and since foam board comes in a lot of neat colors, I wouldn't have to worry about coloring it. Add some cute borders around it and you'll be set. Some teachers prefer to hot glue the boards on to their walls-- apparently hot glue holds up a lot better and won't take off paint plus it peels off more easily than tape or strips.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

Also check into the firecode before you put too much on the wall! Some places don't allow more than 50% of the wall to be covered.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 26, 2012

I just got a free bulletin board for my room. Before, I didn't have one. My room is rather unique. It's very big but I have no windows. One wall is dry wall, another is covered in carpet, another is magnetic since it is a moveable wall, and the last is concrete blocks. Very different!

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

2' x 4' ceiling tile @ $4 - $5 home improvent store like HD
    I use this in my classroom. I cover it with fabric I staple to the back & reinforce with duct tape so it won't tear the tile. I then have it suspended from the ceiling using cable ties. This way I can use staples or pin on just like a regular bb. My favorite spot to use it is by the top shelf of the built in cubbies so that it hides all the boxes & storage bins I keep. It's functional & aesthetically pleasing.

12. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

You can also try using cork boards. You can get a decent size for $10 at Walmart and they seem like they would be pretty easy to mount.