Bulletin board question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by carrieSAtoUSA, Jul 29, 2012.

1. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Ok, so I need some feedback: I teach 5th grade and want to do a Facebook bulletin board at the back of my classroom. Every day/week I will change my "status" to reflect something that we are doing in class. I will ask my students to "friend request" me by bringing me a photo of themselves which I will put in the "friends" section.

The "wall" section will be for them to interact with using sticky notes - passing comments or suggestions about things that we've done in class.

The "photo" section will include photos of activities that we've done during the year.

My question is : is Facebook age appropriate for 5th graders? Quite a few of my students last year had facebooks - I do not have any idea how many upcoming students have one. What about parents that do not want their students to have a facebook? Would they object to this?

Any feedback would help - before I actually create the board and then realize it was a bad idea (I'm actually excited about it - so I will probably put the idea to my principal first, but I just wanted some general feedback from fellow teachers!).

Thanks

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 29, 2012

That's a tough one! The minimum age for signing up for facebook is 13, so, yes, I would say that 5th graders are too young. I love the idea, but I would be worried about parent feedback. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

I cringe at the idea of encouraging 5th graders to use facebook. It's got many good aspects, but I feel that the possible bad (e.g. cyberbullying, distraction, safety concerns) outweighs the good. Of course, using facebook to connect the classroom to your students' real lives is a smart move. However, I would personally look for another way to reach that goal. Just my opinion. :) Very creative thinking, though!

5. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I teach 7th grade so it's a couple of years older than yours but still under the "legal age" they are allowed to join and most of my students still have FB pages.

I did something similar to this last year but not as in depth with the pics and all (good idea :love:) and my kids LOVED it. Fridays we would "updated our status" and they had to write "this week in math I learned ...." they would write it on paper, I would make sure it was in depth (they can't say I learned how find a supplementary angle; they had to say I learned that a supplementary angle is two angles put together to equal 180 degrees). I would tell them I need to be able to read the status and learn something. Don't just tell what you did this week. So after I "proofed it" so to speak I would give them a sentence strip which cut in half to make them small and to double the amount I had since I have 100 students, and then they would write their status. We put them on a bulletin board and on my door. I used it as a mature and age appropriate way to decorate my door.

During our district office visit, they loved it! They thought is was a great way to connect math to reality, as well as incorporating writing into math. It was a big hit.

I say go with it. Tell your P all about it and if they support it then do it. If it becomes an issue with a parent then take down the FB part part and continue to have them simply write about learning. It's a great way to reflect and work out their learning. This could be challenging for some students, especially if they are having a difficult time understanding the new concept taught. Reality is it is a huge part of our world now and I think it is a trendy way to connect.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I would not tie it into facebook so much. You may just want a learning wall or something like that. You can still have all the sections that you want. 5th graders are not old enough for fb and you do not want to encourage them to get accounts.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 29, 2012

I've seen a lot of Facebook ideas on Pinterest & classroom blogs. Creative Teaching Press even has a whole bulletin board set in their "Dots on Chocolate" collection modeled after it. Everything I've seen for the younger grades calls it something other than Facebook, like Classbook or something.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2012

I love your creativity and attempt to appeal to kids' interests, but I also feel it is not appropriate at that age level.

While kids do use it, it is technically against the age policy so in essence you would be encouraging that. I could see some parents, and possible administration taking issue with it. While your ideas are clever and I do applaud the efforts, I worry that you are setting yourself up for unnecessary trouble.

9. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Instead of Facebook, could you model it after your class webpage or your school district's site? Or even just make up your own "website" that incorporates your name, room number, or grade level on the bulletin board?

I loved your ideas for incorporating student involvement and engagement in with your decor- I think it'd be really cool if you could still do something along those lines! :)

10. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Thank you for all the ideas and feedback. Some of you definitely spoke to some of my concerns. I must admit, it is not my original idea. I wanted to find a way to connect with my kids and googled bulletin boards and facebook and saw some great ideas. I do like the idea of calling it "Classbook" or something similar.

Someone sent me a note and told me about the website www.edmodo.com which is similar to facebook in looks, but it's not exactly the same. You can add your kids, add assignments and tasks. I may try to use this and merge it with the facebook idea.

Anyone else tried edmodo?

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 29, 2012

I have not used edmodo, but the 4th grade teachers at my school do, and they love it!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2012

Instead of having kids bring pictures (some may not have any to bring) why not take pics of the kids and print them out?

13. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I used Edmodo last year. The kids really liked it at first and it does look similar to FB but the problem I had was all the drama!!! It drove me crazy! I would talk to the classes as a whole, talk to individual students, post messages to them etc and it continued. I saw sides of kids I never saw in class. Just being nasty! I even had sibilings get on my students account and get nasty with the other students. I eventually went in and anyone that said anything negative was blocked. That was an eye opener for them. I am very torn, I may not even do it again this year. Now keep this in mind, I teach middle school ( always some drama) and this class was very much a handful and they were hateful kids. I even had a student get on and say some nasty things about me and I was able to print it out and file it. ;)

Now with all that being said I don't think it's terrible. The kids were very into it at first (then they began to think it was lame, again middle schoolers) and you have full control. You delete any comments, message students etc. I would use it to also remind students of upcoming assignments. I think with 5 th grade, they would love it nd really be into it. You can even put assignments on there to be submitted. Maybe even have them all submit what they would have used as as their status on the post it. It is simple to use.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

Our grade 5 teacher uses Edmodo for literature circle discussions. It's been a huge hit!

15. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

I saw this on Pinterest and thought of you. Maybe this would be useful.
    http://uppergradesareawesome.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-day-of-school.html

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

I love the "classbook" idea. Great way to get feedback & engage the students. May have to borrow some of it! ;)

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

It seems like there are 2 questions here. #1 Is the idea that you just described for a Facebook bulletin board appropriate for 5th grade--Yes! You do need to be careful though and use lots of precautions which I am guessing you will do.
    #2 Is Facebook online for 5th graders appropriate? No! In fact, it is illegal, and puts parents in a tough situation. You are asking them to break the law to be on that site. There is a case currently where a parent of an 11 year old is in hot water with Facebook for lying about her daughter's age. I doubt anything will happen with it, but no one under 13 is suppose to have their own Facebook account.

Back to your bulletin idea. I love it! Make sure your parents and administration see how different your idea is than the secretive Facebook online. I hope they will go on board with you.

18. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

Actually, I was not really asking if it was appropriate or not - I know the rules BUT that doesn't stop them giving fake birthdates! Many of my students were on FB. This is why I wanted to do this - not to encourage the to use FB but to make them aware of the dangers and the things they may face, such as rude comments, etc.

It has been approved by my Principal, so I am going ahead using "Classbook" as the header.

Thanks again for the feedback!

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Until the students are of age to use any given site, I would not use that theme in my classroom. I likely wouldn't use even a variation. But I do like the idea. :)

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

I agree with several other posters. I love love love your idea. It is SO creative...BUT my daughter will be in fifth grade this year and is 9. I don't think it's appropriate for the age/grade level and I would feel like you are encouraging them to use Facebook.

If you do it, I would definitely make it clear in writing and in discussions that SINCE Facebook is so popular and you know they are not old enough to have one (according to FB rules) you wanted to provide something similar for the classroom that they CAN use =) I'd also include in the conversation at some point how your Classbook is different than FB (privacy, dangers, etc.)

Even though it would bother me if my daughter's teacher used it as a theme in the classroom, it wouldn't bother me enough to say anything to the teacher about it unless and until it made my daughter feel pressured to have a Facebook. I just know that a lot of kids that age DO have Facebook accounts (by lying to get one) and it seems it would lend itself to making kids who don't have one feel pressured to get one.??