Bulletin Board Question

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lsho, Apr 19, 2010.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

Ok, I'm hoping this isn't the dumbest question you've ever heard but it might be.

I have a bulletin board in my room and want to utilize it as much as possible. However, it has stayed the same since the first week of school (a welcome to class, here's what we do type board). I haven't taken it down because I don't want to invest in board sets that I just have to throw away after I use them once (I can't afford that!). What is the best way to preserve bulletin board sets so I can use them year after year after year after year? I know to laminate them but I staple stuff to my board and don't know how well it will hold up.

Any advice is great! This is one of those mudnane first year teacher questions that I just can't figure out.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2010

What do you teach?

4. lsho

lsho Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

Geography. So I have some awesome stuff I can do when we study different countries. But again, I just can't afford to replace the stuff every year. :(

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2010

You should be able to remove the staples and use it again, I recommend laminating if that is available, then hang all the stuff on a pants hanger, (little things can go in a clear bag) all the items for 1 complete board will be on one pants hangerTHis will give you easy access if you just hang them up in your classroom closet.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2010

IF you don't want to staple, i've had success with sticky tack. I use fabric on my boards, it doesn't fade and the holes don't show... so I've been known to tape or velcro stuff to it idepending on the ype of material I have as the background.

7. Couldntbhappier

Couldntbhappier Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

After it's laminated you can hot glue it to the board. It's really easy to remove when you're finished and won't damage your stuff. :)

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 21, 2010

I use fabric on my boards--- it looks nicer, is easier to put up, and it doesn't fade like paper does. Don't bother going to a fabric store though (too expensive), but go to a wal-mart and buy cheap bed sheets, pillow cases, etc.

If you can laminate your bulletin board stuff, do so. If your school doesn't have one, try a teacher supply store near by.

I gave up on trying to do the bulletin board letters-- they rip too easily and they're just annoying to sit there and try to put them together. I now just print out my banners but I use nice font and I'll jazz them up with paint, stickers, etc.

Also come up with plan with what you REALLY want to do with that bulletin board. I have one where I had planned to track goals through out the week and homework, but it was just too much by week 1 and I ditched it. I now use it for student work (mostly so I won't misplace certain papers).