Bulletin Board Pictures - Post yours

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by katenar, Jul 3, 2007.

1. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

:wow::love:
    THANKS FOR THE GREAT PITURES OF THE BB. I LOVE THAT WE CAN SHARE THE IDEAS OF THINGS .I SOME TIMES HAVE TROUBLE COMING UP WITH IDEAS FOR A BB.

2. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I have a license plate template saved on my computer. I'd be happy to email it to anyone if you just pm your email.

3. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

WOW!!! That is all that I can say! I am REALLY lacking in the BB department, I think I will need to plan a few really great ones for this year. Part of the problem is lack of BB's in my classroom. We have so much "garbage" that we are required to have posted in our rooms, those things take away from great creative student work being displayed :( Plus, I am just not creative when it comes to BBs.

4. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Jul 18, 2007

how do you post pictures

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Just click on the little icon with the mountain and type in the link. I just copy then paste the link url.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2007

I guess mine will be coming soon.

You can also use brackets like these- [ - to write out [ img ] url [ / img ] (but not with spaces). URL stands for the web address the photo is at.

7. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Now I wish I would have taken pictures of all of the bulletin boards I've done in the past. I've had a Fall BB that had 2 squirrels poking out of a tree and lots of acorns everywhere. It said, "We're Nuts About 3rd Grade!" I've also had a Valentine BB where I made Hershey Kisses out of birthday hats (covered them in aluminum foil and had a strip of toilet paper coming out of the top) and made little pigs out of hearts (The head and body are 2 hearts connected that are upside down. The ears, hands, and feet are tiny hearts.) The BB says "Hogs & Kisses From 3rd Grade."

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

You know it!!!!!!:D

9. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 18, 2007

4myclass,

I don't quite remember where I got the license plate templates but I think I found them online somewhere and then changed them to fit my class. I have them in a word document if you want me to email them to you.

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

For many public schools (but not all) who use Open Court Reading, we are mandated to have a Concept/Question board at the front of our room all year long. In my district we have the OCR police who come by to make sure that we keep our board interactive. I like it though because it keeps me on my toes.
    Anyway, Open Court is organized by themes. In fifth grade we have 6 unit themes. For each unit, we post the title in the middle (I made mine using print shop) , a concept poster on one side and a question poster on the other. At the beginning of every unit, we have a unit opener in which we give the students background knowledge and find ways to connect the theme to their own experiences. That same day the kids use a post-it to write at least one thing they already know about the theme(a concept) and use another post-it to write about something that they would like to learn(a question). We send home letters to the parents asking them to help their child select an item from home that in some way is connected to the theme. It can be a picture, an object, a story, anything. These get posted on the board. Throughout the unit, the children continue to bring things in. They also update the board by answering the questions as they learn new concepts.
    And since I'm a nut, I always do google searches and buy neat things to help them get excited about the unit. For our last unit, (new frontier) I bought western clothing!

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

Click on the pictures to view them bigger.

This was my back to school board last year.
    [​IMG]

These two are of the Thanksgiving bulletin board I did out in the hall last November.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

I did Open Court for kinder last year and at first I was resistant to the Concept/question board. Mainly because I didn't know how kinder would understand the concept of the concept/question board. BUT, I tried it anyways (well, had to, we also have people checking up on us!).

I had kids bring in artifacts for the board. It was great! For our team unit, they brought in jerseys and trophies. For our ocean unit they brought in shells and starfish. They would orally tell me a question or concept and I would right it down and hang it on the board. They LOVED that! As soon as I pulled out my notepad, a whole bunch of hands would go up.

Gah! I"m so mad. I was going to put up a link of my Red, White, and Blue Concept and Question board but I can't seem to find it. That was a really COOL board. :(

But, having kids bring in artifacts to make a bulletin board is great. They become part of the process and it makes the board very interactive.

13. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Ms. Amy
    Loved Liscensed to Learn. I am goint to use that hfor my K3/K4 preschool class.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2007

I wanna know how you guys make all these animals and such. I can't draw or fathom how I would go about making them.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

I use the overhead trick.

Find a printout of the character you want. (See my scarecrow above). Trace it onto a transparency. Use overhead to display character on a large piece of paper. Trace in pencil and color in.

It's a piece of cake!

16. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

I love this trick! as much as I love to draw free hand, it saves so much time when you can trace something that you already like... And if you don't like coloring it in, you can also trace thedifferent parts on different cloored paper instead.

17. loladee143

loladee143 New Member

Jul 19, 2007

I really loved everyone's bulletin boards! Right now I'm on vacation but I've been making posters for every OCR unit and looking for some ideas on how to create a bulletin board for how my classroom fluency is progressing. Any suggestions or ideas? Please share them. Thanks so much. 2nd grade teacher, Loladee

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

Thanks for the help, uclalum. You really go all out!

19. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

Does anyone have any ideas for a bulletin board titled: "The Power Of Learning"???? I can use a little creativity, I am burned out with decorating ideas.:love:

20. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

just thinking out loud here:
    You can go with power/electricity
    light bulbs... "bright ideas.... " "creative outlets" "a buzz of activity"
    or you can go with a super hero theme (power - ful)

Sorry that's all I got.:rolleyes:

21. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

My fluency bulletin board:
    I bought a poster from Lakeshore for 2 bucks that is a rocket ship .It says something like "Mission Possible." The rocket has lines on it going all the way up. Kind of like a thermometer. I labeled these lines to indicate words read per minute. Since by the end of Unit 1 my district says kids should be reading 110 words per minute, I wrote "Unit 1" next to the 110 mark on the rocket. Next, I used those skinny little post=it notes that are shaped like arrows and gave one to each kid. The kids wrote their rollbook # on the arrow and stuck the sticky note to the rocket to indicate how many words they read at the end of unit 1. (I had them write their rollbook # rather than their name so that they didn't feel bad if they did not meet the benchmark.)
    Each time I record their fluency, they move their sticky note up on the rocket to show their growth.
    Here is a picture of the chart. The boys sticky notes are on one side of the rocket, the girls on the other.
    [​IMG]

22. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

You need to scroll to the right to see the chart.
    Geez, looks like half my class wasn't reading 110 words per minute after the first unit.:eek: :eek: :eek:

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2007

My biggest problem with bulletin boards is my students are deaf and young so they haven't been exposed to puns and hearing versions of playing with words. So all these creative titles go out the window. It's hard to plan something they will understand what I mean. I don't like to word something that is a joke or pun they don't get. "Creative Outlets" "Star Learners" "Road to Success" "We're Nuts about ___ Grade" and "Mission Impossible" (If you haven't been able to read, you can't access movies at that level yet without captioning) are all examples of this. Between this and excluding all the phonics out there, it's kinda tough to borrow things directly. Sigh. It's no wonder I skip trying to make beautifully drawn monkeys and skip right to how the bulletin board is going to be used and read by the students. I actually hate doing bulletin boards though I love looking at them. :)

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

You have really opened my eyes to some of the less obvious difficulties for deaf students, cutNglue. Thank you.

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

Boy, I feel silly now.:eek: I never made the connection with the Mission Possible movie. Honest! I just thought the chart said that because it was a rocket going on a mission. I didn't even think of it as a pun or a catchy phrase. I only bought it because we just so happened to be on our Astronomy unit.

CutNGlue, I kind of can relate to you about the catchy phrase bulletin boards. When I student taught in a second grade class, some of the kids got confused when the bulletin board had an intentional incorrect spelling. One student was confused why the "caught being good" board spelled "being" bee-ing! Now that I think of it, I'm sure that there are kids out there that could be spelling things incorrectly because of the bulletin boards we create!:eek:

I love the Halloween bulletin board earlier in this thread because she made it clear that there was a difference between witch and which.

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

27. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I did a cute bb making my students names into a crossword puzzle and used their pictures as clues. I used edhelper.com to make the puzzle and just replicated it myself. It was really cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

I was just thinking - if you have access to a power supply why not put up some lights? Like a strand of Christmas lights....just an idea.

29. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I love your crossword puzzle....what a great display.

30. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I have a few BB that I did last year during my internship. It was in first grade--they are not NEARLY as creative and cute as everyone else's! But I thought I'd still share :p Sorry if these come out really big!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

You make a good point about your deaf children. I always consider that when titling boards for my first graders too. Are they going to understand the pun? But with them, it just becomes a teachable moment, I can see where that would be more difficult in your situation.
    I am going to have a deaf student this year. She wears a hearing aide and I've been told her parents are shunning Special Ed services because of the labeling stigma. Any websites or suggestions for finding ideas and adaptations, if they won't agree to outside help I'll need to find help for myself and the child? I know it's off topic. You could PM me or maybe I should just move this to start a new post to see if others could contribute too.

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

I didn't read it correctly either. Notice I said "MIssion IMpossible." I can imagine my students have never heard either of those words. That is a teachable moment, as another poster mentioned, except that with struggling readers I want to encourage them to WANT to read the board and not find everything over their heads. That one isn't too bad though because at least the meaning is what it is. Many BBs are a play on the PHONETIC parts of words. Those are ones I avoid.

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

Start another post. I'll contribute the best I can! :D There is at least 1-2 more teachers out there who have worked with deaf students so I'm curious to see their feedback as well.:) PM me if I overlook your post.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

I've done the crossword one. I LOVE the addition of pictures!!